You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Christmas Drinks

Bjornebye

I agree, they do some nice stuff. Plenty of flavour and nice strength well balanced.

Indeed mate. ESB is pure nectar.

I'm lucky in that it's readily available down here; the few times I've seen it on offer in Liverpool it normally sells out within a day or two.

Greene King aren't bad either. This time of year they do a bevvy called 'Abbot's Reserve' - basically a stronger version (6.5% ABV) of Abbot Ale; the Roscoe Head had it on last year - I highly recommend it if you like a flavoursome, premium-strength ale.

Greene King also do one called 'Abbot's Confession' at 8.5% ABV - oy vey!

You now know why I live here..hahaha. Smoked beer is ace, I'm a bit of a wheat beer fan myself. Saying that I haven't had much beer since October, mainly Jim Beam and cider. Going to get a few crates of wheat beer in for chrimbo though, plus I still have some left over from my 50th in the cellar. 

If I had to live anywhere else in Europe other than the UK, I'd choose Germany.

I like their attitude to having a bevvy - if you don't act like a knob then drink on.

A great place for groups of lads who just want a few pints and to have a laugh (without acting like tits).

Guest Pistonbroke

If I had to live anywhere else in Europe other than the UK, I'd choose Germany.

I like their attitude to having a bevvy - if you don't act like a knob then drink on.

A great place for groups of lads who just want a few pints and to have a laugh (without acting like tits).

That's it in a nutshell, you can get pissed out of your trolly and you will hardly see any aggro, unless of course you go looking for it. I still miss the UK pub style mind, but I'm more than happy to stay here as the lifestyle I lead suits me fine. 

Guest Pistonbroke

I'm another with a love for Germany.  Only been to Munich in 2010 and then Hamburg this year, but both supplied awesome weekends.

You are always welcome to visit Bielefeld mate. Not the best City in Germany for night life but we do have some very good haunts, plus bang in the middle of Noredrheinwestfalen and a lot of culture. 

You are always welcome to visit Bielefeld mate. Not the best City in Germany for night life but we do have some very good haunts, plus bang in the middle of Noredrheinwestfalen and a lot of culture. 

Sound mate, that's very decent of you.  Nice one.  I'd not bring the other half in case your daughter's mates were visiting.

Guest Pistonbroke

Sound mate, that's very decent of you.  Nice one.  I'd not bring the other half in case your daughter's mates were visiting.

hahaha, she has an awful lot of 18-23 year old mates. But you could bring your other half, she can entertain my missus whilst we were down the city getting pissed. 

I'm a huge fan of Germany; probably my favourite European destination.

I was in Hamburg in summer with a few mates (we were there for the night Germany beat France in the W*rld C*p) - absolutely fantastic evening (and weekend!).

I want to visit Nuremberg and Bamberg next - I'm a fan of the Rauchbiers and would like to sample them in their home town.

Bamberg is a lovely place and some great pubs to get pissed in. Couldn't stand the Rauchbiers personally but there were plenty of Weissbiers and Dunkels alternatives.

Being another novice I am prepared to be shot down for this but does anyone drink gin neat or is it always mixed?

I've been making martini's with gin, vermouth, and then I've either added olives or some lemon. I quite like blue cheese stuffed olives in a martini. Mrs G prefers lemon. I concur that it's a strong drink though. One martini like that and that's my lot. Tasty though.