You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I don't think it's impatient, at all. We need players. The transfer window is time sensitive and 1/3 of it has already gone. We've seen what a January panic buy looks like and it wasn't pretty.

IT's been explained a few times why not just us but most clubs haven't done any business yet.

Ballack at Leverkusen was absolutely world class. I went on a corporate thing with work to chelsea play leverkusen leverkusen when ballack was at bayer and he ran the show. everything moved through him, unreal player.

Busquets is a very very good player but playing in a team with Xavi, Iniesta and Messi means your quality will always be overlooked. look at yay a Toure. Arguably the 2nd best player in the prem... non-entity over there really.

I wouldn't lay all the glory on Gerrard for 05's champs league run and win. Alonso, Hamman, Dudek and mores Carragher and Hyppia were all as important. Its just when a player grabs the headlines he is deemed world class. Alonso has been world class for 9 years.

Luis Garcia should be on there.

He came inti his own in the Champions League scoring some important goals

IT's been explained a few times why not just us but most clubs haven't done any business yet.

I think thats a rubbish explanation. We, especially, shouldn't be approaching this transfer market with a reaction viewpoint. Frankly, we should have had our targets weeks ago and they should have been snapped up already.

It really fucks me off how inept we are with transfers. We have a godamn committee - they should all be fucked off. What do they do all year? They should have a big list of targets and Ayre should be more or less securing them as soon as the window shuts. Make no mistake, they completely and utterly fucked up our summer window and seemed clueless once Mikhi rejected us.

I don't think it's impatient, at all. We need players. The transfer window is time sensitive and 1/3 of it has already gone. We've seen what a January panic buy looks like and it wasn't pretty.

Its not just that though - we still have four fixtures in January. With the league as close as it is, bringing in reinforcements on Jan 1st just makes sense so we can utilise them ASAP. 

I think thats a rubbish explanation. We, especially, shouldn't be approaching this transfer market with a reaction viewpoint. Frankly, we should have had our targets weeks ago and they should have been snapped up already.

As with every january window, barring players surplus to requirements, it's rare for the majority of the business to be done early because the selling clubs have to line up replacements and you get a chain reaction of clubs having agreed deals, in principle, but unwilling to make the first move for fear of being left short.

Now it's easy as a supporter to sit their and say well we should do it early and all the deals should be lined up and signed off on the 1st of January but it's just not realistic and completely disregards the fact that there are more factors involved in a transfers than a club (or it's supporters) desire to sign a player.

If it was as easy as you say the Utd would have signed 3 or 4 world class players by now, Chelsea and Arsenal would have had the strikers they're crying out for, PSG would have signed Mata and de Bruyne would be in Germany (rather than Chelsea 'examining offers'). 

Getting worked up because we haven't signed anyone by January 11th? You're all a bunch of balloon heads.

We really do have some impatient fans don't we.

I hope that one day we will be able to rise to your intellect and general magnificence. 

I hope that we will realise creating a "Transfer committee" and paying them hundreds of thousands of pounds a year each to wait around for some domino theory to play out makes good sense.

I hope that we will understand that failing to signing players your team desperately needs isn't cause for concern, it's actually highly laudable.

I hope.

• Upvote 1

When every one is fit (and in form) our best 11 (imho) is;

----------------------Mignolet---------------------------

Johnson-------Skrtel-------Sakho---------Enrique

-----------Henderson---Lucas---Gerrard----------

------------Suarez-----Sturridge---Coutinho-------

Therefore, picking up a player who doesn't directly demote one of the above to the bench is a waste of time and money. The 'squad player' arguement doesn't work either as the demoted player from the above 11 would become the squad player.

I hope that one day we will be able to rise to your intellect and general magnificence. 

I hope that we will realise creating a "Transfer committee" and paying them hundreds of thousands of pounds a year each to wait around for some domino theory to play out makes good sense.

I hope that we will understand that failing to signing players your team desperately needs isn't cause for concern, it's actually highly laudable.

I hope.

We could have the best transfer committee in the world (incidently every club has a committee of people unofficially that decide on transfers) wouldn't make a blind bit of difference because the speed of transfers is dictated by the selling club.

Everyone would prefer your imaginary scenario where you ring Chelsea tell them you're going to pay the 5 million for Mata they say ok and he's shipped to us the next day.

Unfortunately it's not the reality for us or any club so spending every window complaining that 10 days has passed and we haven't signed anyone is an exercise in futility.

We could have the best transfer committee in the world (incidently every club has a committee of people unofficially that decide on transfers) wouldn't make a blind bit of difference because the speed of transfers is dictated by the selling club.

Everyone would prefer your imaginary scenario where you ring Chelsea tell them you're going to pay the 5 million for Mata they say ok and he's shipped to us the next day.

Unfortunately it's not the reality for us or any club so spending every window complaining that 10 days has passed and we haven't signed anyone is an exercise in futility.

The fact we got not one but two brilliant talents in January is amazing. Add to that they came cheap and early in the window is a miracle. To expect that to happen again this transfer window is like expecting to win the lottery two years in a row.

• Upvote 1

The fact we got not one but two brilliant talents in January is amazing. Add to that they came cheap and early in the window is a miracle. To expect that to happen again this transfer window is like expecting to win the lottery two years in a row.

Come on the two of you, let's not let logic get in the way of a good moan here!

The thing is while the window is only 11 days old, the club has had months to setup deals, as they did with sturridge last year. So it can be said after having 4 months to setup deals, they have only 20 days left. 

I can't believe how simple-minded this is, and it's a prevalent attitude on here for some reason.

Of course it's better if we get our business done early, a la Sturridge.  We have the player for a few extra games, they bed in quicker, and there's no chance of Spurs or Napoli nipping in and taking the player at the last moment.

However, we have to understand that most of the control on how fast a transfer occurs is in the hands of the selling team.  First of all, if it's a good player, like Salah, they will want them to play those last few games in January for them (just as we would like to see the player in red already).  Secondly, they know that if it's a player good enough to tempt the likes of Liverpool, that they will have multiple offers.  Thus, it's to their advantage to stretch things out, make noise in the press about the deal, try to shake another team into coming in and starting a bidding war.

All of which means that a team such as ourselves, with a desire to get good value in the market, must sit and wait.  City or Chelsea can come in and say "how much do you need to sign the deal today?" and pay a million or two more.  We cannot.  And unless we have a rare situation like Sturridge, where the selling team isn't playing him, the player is desperate for a move, and we're ready to pay the full asking price because we think it's still a god value, then we're going to wait.  At some point late in the window the selling team will realise that no one else is going to come in, or the player will start to make his wishes known, or Ayre will finally admit that we will pay the extra million, or whatever, and the deal will be done.

It's the nature of the beast in January.  The selling club has every reason to delay the move and the buying club can't really do much about it except overpay.  There are exceptions here and there, but for the most part, that's the way it goes.

• Upvote 1

I can't believe how simple-minded this is, and it's a prevalent attitude on here for some reason.

Of course it's better if we get our business done early, a la Sturridge. We have the player for a few extra games, they bed in quicker, and there's no chance of Spurs or Napoli nipping in and taking the player at the last moment.

However, we have to understand that most of the control on how fast a transfer occurs is in the hands of the selling team. First of all, if it's a good player, like Salah, they will want them to play those last few games in January for them (just as we would like to see the player in red already). Secondly, they know that if it's a player good enough to tempt the likes of Liverpool, that they will have multiple offers. Thus, it's to their advantage to stretch things out, make noise in the press about the deal, try to shake another team into coming in and starting a bidding war.

All of which means that a team such as ourselves, with a desire to get good value in the market, must sit and wait. City or Chelsea can come in and say "how much do you need to sign the deal today?" and pay a million or two more. We cannot. And unless we have a rare situation like Sturridge, where the selling team isn't playing him, the player is desperate for a move, and we're ready to pay the full asking price because we think it's still a god value, then we're going to wait. At some point late in the window the selling team will realise that no one else is going to come in, or the player will start to make his wishes known, or Ayre will finally admit that we will pay the extra million, or whatever, and the deal will be done.

It's the nature of the beast in January. The selling club has every reason to delay the move and the buying club can't really do much about it except overpay. There are exceptions here and there, but for the most part, that's the way it goes.

You can say that about every window that the selling club can hold on as long as they like. If Liverpool are interested, the player must be boss and Chelsea or city might pay more. If that was the case we'd either never buy anyone or every deal would be done on the last day or two of the window. There are always 2 sides to every negotiation, nearly every club we negotiate with is in a worse financial situation than us and wants to sell, because if they don't want to sell they wouldn't. If we don't feel a deal can be done, we can always let them know they're not the only club and that's not the only player in the world. Then maybe they'll get fuck all. Or maybe the player will be injured. Or any other host of things that means they don't get the windfall.

This all of course misses my point entirely. There's the blanket bullshit that we're only 1/3 of the way through the period where we can buy a player, but that simply isn't true because we should be starting to work for January on September 1st, especially when the squad is as short of players as ours. We're where we are now because we can't find anyone at the price we want (if indeed we're trying to buy anyone). That may change in the next 3 weeks, it might not. It doesn't alter the fact we've been trying to get players (or at least should have been) for over 4 months and not 11 days.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If Liverpool are interested, the player must be boss

they're not the only club and that's not the only player in the world. Then maybe they'll get fuck all. Or maybe the player will be injured. Or any other host of things that means they don't get the windfall.

These two do not really make much sense.

If a player is boss, for sure someone else is going to come in.

Like they did for Mikhtaryan, and Willian.

You are undersetimating how difficult it will be for us to buy players that are markedly better than our first 11.

You can't get players for 4 months - you can look at them - without speaking to them, or about them.

These two do not really make much sense.

If a player is boss, for sure someone else is going to come in.

Like they did for Mikhtaryan, and Willian.

You are undersetimating how difficult it will be for us to buy players that are markedly better than our first 11.

You can't get players for 4 months - you can look at them - without speaking to them, or about them.

I'm not underselling it. My "they're boss" comment was a sarcastic comment to the post I was replying to. Neither am I saying getting a deal done is easy. All I am saying is the club has been able to put deals together for more than 11 days. They should have been at it for around 130 days and they have 20 left, so to say as many do "the window has only been open 11 days" IMO is a way too simplistic way to look at it. The 31 days of January are just when you can exchange the players registration, deals can be done all year round and as far as I'm concerned all the window does is perhaps allow some deals to start chain reaction as a lot of the money is just recycled. I would like to think we are a wealthy enough club to be at the start and not the end of those chains more often than not.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk