You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Definitely, he's class. Would walk into our midfield, he's really good as classic central midfielder but shines even more in higher position, would be a good combination beside Coutinho as twin AMs. Good opportunity to snap up him from chelsea. One good thing about these upstart plastic clubs is the wastage of some proper talented young players which can be taken advantage of.

Stop getting your meth off Heisenberg! No way will Maureen let another talent go to LFC, not after Sturridge!

A physically strong and technically accomplished box to box is what we need. Time to seriously look at a post -Gerrad Liverpool midfield. There should be a few of them out there (Spain, Germany, France...) but won't come cheap for sure. But it's an area we've to invest big if we need to.

If that player is Koke from Atletico Madrid who we keep getting linked to then we're definitely winning the league. Absolute class player.

It won't be though, unfortunately, but a nice dream!

Rodgers told Shelvey he wouldn't play much as long as Gerrard was still here, it would take this year and the next before he retired.

Are we going to say the same thing to other potential midfielders, ones who might compete for the same position? As long as one player has a locked down position, regardless of form, other players won't come.

Rodgers told Shelvey he wouldn't play much as long as Gerrard was still here, it would take this year and the next before he retired.

Are we going to say the same thing to other potential midfielders, ones who might compete for the same position? As long as one player has a locked down position, regardless of form, other players won't come.

It could also mean he thinks Shelvey is a bit shit. I don't believe for a minute that any manager worth his salt would guarantee any player a position for two years if he had better options at his disposal. The fact that Shelvey would have trouble dislodging a one legged 50 year old Gerrard probably had a lot to do with him moving on.

Lucas has been below the required level, Henderson is not tearing up trees. Seems to me quite a few midfield places could be up for grabs.

Rodgers said he told him that he couldn't guarantee first team football. What top class player would come to a non-CL side in January, in a world cup year, without a guarantee of first team football?

What's the selling point? It won't be astronomical wages.

Lucas has been below the required level, Henderson is not tearing up trees. Seems to me quite a few midfield places could be up for grabs.

I'm thinking attacking, box to box midfielder. If we replace Henderson, and stay with Gerrard and Lucas, the new boy will learn he'll have to do their running for them, just like Henderson does.

It could also mean he thinks Shelvey is a bit shit. I don't believe for a minute that any manager worth his salt would guarantee any player a position for two years if he had better options at his disposal. The fact that Shelvey would have trouble dislodging a one legged 50 year old Gerrard probably had a lot to do with him moving on.

Think you're doing Gerrard a disservice there, despite not being as mobile as he once was the raw ability that has pushed him to the top of the pile is still there. Gerrard is in the team on merit and even now it will take some player to push him down the pecking order and that player is most assuradly is not Jonjo Shelvey, not now and doubtfully in two years time.

• Upvote 1

Rodgers said he told him that he couldn't guarantee first team football. What top class player would come to a non-CL side in January, in a world cup year, without a guarantee of first team football?

What's the selling point? It won't be astronomical wages.

None, but there's a huge difference between slotting Shelvey into our stuttering midfields and finding a place for a top class player.

Shelvey was moved along with a pat on the back and the placatory reasons as to why, nothing more.

Bright future, contributed to the club, diligent in training, well liked, I would have kept him but....

Think you're doing Gerrard a disservice there, despite not being as mobile as he once was the raw ability that has pushed him to the top of the pile is still there. Gerrard is in the team on merit and even now it will take some player to push him down the pecking order and that player is most assuradly is not Jonjo Shelvey, not now and doubtfully in two years time.

I'm not doing him a disservice at all and I never suggested he wasn't in the team on merit, because he is.  All I was doing was pointing out that Shelvey was and never will be good enough to replace Gerrard.  There's also no one at the club who's remotely close to being a better midfielder than him.  But Gerrard isn't the player he was and if we had better options in the middle of the park then Gerrard wouldn't necessarily be an automatic choice.