You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Goodbye Downing...

WhiskeyJar

Coro is spot on in a way. Comolli was FSG's first appointment and main man trusted with the football side. He was mostly terrible.

If FSG had appointed someone better, or worked up their "transfer team" with Kenny, Ayre and the Man City guys, there would have been better support for Kenny and hopefully a better spot of talent.

Kenny does have to take responsibility for Downing and the other summer signings as well though as he was working with Commoli on those. That goes for good and bad, obviously.

I'm merely pointing out that soccernomics had a big influence on the kind of players we were looking to buy and still does. People translate that in different ways to suit the pantomime they've got going on in their head.

Our problems didn't end with the departure of Comolli and Dalglish. We continue to struggle in the transfer market. I think a big reason is these incentive based contracts we are offering. If people think Rodgers has any say in the kind of contracts the club is offering then they're being at best, naive.

Don't fret I'm sure we can persuade Scott Sinclair to come!

Cconsidering how thin the squad will be if or when Assaidi goes a loan deal for Sinclair wouldn't be a bad idea. Ibe is very promising but not ready for a sustained run and Sterling is still too young to rely on.

Transfer News: West Ham complete signing of Stewart Downing from Liverpool | Liverpool News, Fixtures, Results, Transfers | Sky Sports

West Ham have completed the signing of winger Stewart Downing from Liverpool.

The 29-year-old has joined Sam Allardyce's side on a four-year contract for an undisclosed fee thought to be in the region of £5m.

Downing, who has won 34 caps for England, follows striker Andy Carroll in making the summer switch from Anfield to Upton Park and is looking forward a new chapter in his career.

"I'm very excited. It's a great opportunity for me being here, it's a great club and I'm really excited to get going," Downing told the club's website.

"I'm ready and I'm fit for the first game against Cardiff City. I've played a decent few games for Liverpool in pre-season, so there will be no problems on that front.

"It's all happened quickly, but I'm really excited and hoping to play a part on Saturday."

Downing began his career with Middlesbrough, making his debut as a 17-year-old in 2002.

He joined Aston Villa following Boro's relegation from the Premier League in 2009 and was voted their Player of the Season for 2010-2011.

A £20m move to Kenny Dalglish's Liverpool followed in July 2011 with Downing picking up a Carling Cup winners' medal before falling out of favour under current Reds boss Brendan Rodgers.

Downing fought his way back into first-team contention in the second half of last season but has now opted to take up a fresh challenge with West Ham

With the exception of Jones, I don't think there's anyone at the club now that I think doesn't have talent/potential. (First team-ers I mean) Borini, Allen and Henderson the jury is still out, but I think they'll prove a few wrong over the course of the season.

Just need to add some quality to the squad now. I keep thinking 'surely we wouldn't let him go without someone lined up' but we always manage to fuck up somewhere.

I've had SSN on since half 6, i think they have made sure they emphasised "A £16M LOSS!" on this deal about 25 times.

Funny how they never seem that bothered when its other clubs, but when its us losing money - that's almost the most important thing.

Fucking meffs

Guest Numero Veinticinco
This is what I would remember him for

Me too. Not the £20m, not the shit performances, not the lack of goals, but that shush. For an otherwise nice enough guy, that's grim.

This is what I would remember him for

158639117.0_standard_352.0.jpg

After over a year of zero assists and goals, this is how he rewards the kop for their patience

GET OUT OF HERE YOU SHITTY ASSHOLE

Now, now, according to Narcissist72 creating chances is what matter, not goals and assists. At least where Downing is concerned!