You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Simon Mignolet

I don't agree with that. His average pass distance was almost 50 yards yesterday, and he hit 50% pass completion. He did pick out some wide players for passes.

I do agree about the distribution, but it's not like he's just slamming it back to them every time, even if that did happen on some occasions. It's frustrating, especially after having Pepe, but it's not unusual for keepers all over Europe to do it.

Stats again, from what i was watching everytime Mignolet punted it long over the half way line 4 out of 5 times we lost possesion, it was easy for their defenders, we didn't pick up that second ball much at all.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Stats again, from what i was watching everytime Mignolet punted it long over the half way line 4 out of 5 times we lost possesion, it was easy for their defenders, we didn't pick up that second ball much at all.

Yeah, but stats about how many times he actually did it.

Yeah, but stats about how many times he actually did it.

How many times he hit our player and they got it under control and we gained proper possesion or how many times he hit a player regardless if it bounced off his head and we lost out on the 2nd ball? and is that the long balls that went over the half way line? which is what ive been getting at, like i said his shorter balls out wide were ok.

The only stats that are really important are goals and points, remember the Joe Allen and Xavi pass completion comparison? some of them are interesting but they are mostly a load of bollocks and can be ripped to pieces or twisted to suit, whatever you want to do with them really.

^^You know that anyway.

Two different things here. For me I thought he played some very good balls when he dropped it to his feet and that since we are pretty static in the middle of the field we never really covered much ground on his punts.

Yeah agree he played some good ones, its the longer punts that are the problem, when you see Coutinho competing with the Swansea centre backs for headers its just not right, hit Sturridge or don't bother though obviously there are times where he has to just get rid asap, if he is trying to hit Sturridge get some players around him for that 2nd ball.

Poor distribution can generally be compensated for by the rest of the team and is something that can be worked on and improved. Poor shot stopping, which we saw from Pepe for a long time, can not be compensated for by anyone and costs goals. The sight of him crumbling down and waving at the ball as it went past him had become too frequent, despite better form from him last season.

Pepe was flirting with Barca and had a nerve to air his complaints in that letter about his treatment. That said, he was awesome for us from 2005-2009 and i hope he plays a blinder for Rafa with Napoli. Maybe he had become disillusioned with all the change at the club, the direness of Hodgson, Hicks and Gillett and so on, and it possibly contributed to his poor form. He also had some nightmare games for Spain.

When it comes down to it if a chance fell to the opposition at the end of a game and we were 1-0 up, I would rather Simon was facing it than Pepe. He has been a big factor in us leading the table at this early stage.

• Upvote 3

He is probably one of the best shot stoppers in the league, also has very good hands and never seems to spill shots. Also has a very flat nose.

Eh?  I like Mignolet and agree that he's an excellent shot-stopper, but there's no doubt that he has a tendency to block shots rather than catch them if it's questionable.  See the shot that Skrtel managed to clear away to safety to deny Bony as an example.

Eh?  I like Mignolet and agree that he's an excellent shot-stopper, but there's no doubt that he has a tendency to block shots rather than catch them if it's questionable.  See the shot that Skrtel managed to clear away to safety to deny Bony as an example.

That was a finger tip save at full strecth though, keepers can't really control where they deflect to.

• 2 months later...