You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinell - a grand a month for a small 2 bed flat in Greenwich. Fuckers. Early days with this idea but the package would have to be right - I'll be paying almost £7k a year more rent than I do now.

Me and a mate paid £950 a month for a 2 bedroom flat above a shop 15 years ago. It was shit and the pigeons woke me up every day. But it was in Richmond and we regularly got locked in the pub when the Thames flooded.

I concur Mark, I'm single but my earnings make London and the South East a bit of a tricky place to be. Currently staying with family but would need an increase of around 10k+ in my salary to afford a place of my own so pretty much sunk for the next few years at the least.

This is almost entirely down to the lunacy of the property market a) Maggie selling off all the council housing b) the banks giving out credit like it was sweets c) non-domiciles viewing London’s property market as akin to bonds with a high yield.

This means my generation (say 22-32) post uni are fucked if we want to get our own place. In my work place there are approximately 8 people who fall into that age range all of whom live at home and commute to work.

The counter argument being that long term leases are more prevalent on the continent and it's only here that people are obsessed with owning their own home. Plus why should I expect to have my own home? Self entitlement the narcissism of the facebook generation? Many places like Spain and Italy people live with their families up until their mid thirty's. Though this can put a strain on people and certainly a times feels less liberated.

It certainly alters the dating landscape, what people expect of you is utterly mental you'd basically have to be a millionaire to keep up (which is suppose if your a usurious investment banker might not be a problem).

Yup some of the drving is poor, spoke to one guy works as a investment banker who passed his driving test in India by driving the car forward in a line about 20 meteres on a cricket pitch.

The rascism isn't needed but the observation that many are poor drivers due to the circumstances they were brought up in/ the infrastruture of their country of origin is correct.

Fucking hell.

One of the reasons I'd quite like to get out of Yorkshire is the overt racism displayed in pubs. In my local on Sunday, chatting with two lads in their 40's who I get on with and have a laugh with. Out of nowhere one says "I'm not racist but I fucking hate p*****". The other bloke agreed. I finished my pint, made my excuses and left. I cannot stand that kind of shite. Walk into most pubs in Leeds and you'll overhear the same conversation. It's depressing to be honest.

I'd like to see some scientific data proving that Asian drivers are worse. Not saying it doesn't exist, just that I'd like to see it.

They probably aren't statistically more likely to be in accidents than any other group who has attained their driving qualification in countries where the standard need to gain this is lower (this obviously only being applicable for immagrants and not British residents born in this country). Also how many Asians in London drive in comparison to other demographic groups? It would be difficult to get a statistical basis for this.

Anecdotally I've had drivers of Asian origin do some mental things on the road in front of me down here but have only ever been hit by some soft lad from West London of the Gillet wearing, rugby playing mold.

I live just outside within easy commuting distance which suits me well.

If i was looking at moving there i'd be investigating Clapham or Brixton/Battersea depending on prices and Highgate/Kilburn/Tufnel Park in N London