You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Foodie thread

Champ

I stand corrected, and will quest for umami.

Knock yourselves out. Category:Umami enhancers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ETA : I see worcestershire sauce is on the list. I'm getting the idea now. Lea & Perrins in any mince dish is a necessity.

The Umami and a gang of tomatoes might be threatening your kids now.

The Umami and a gang of tomatoes might be threatening your kids now.

You have a very acid tongue, Mr S!

What was the last thing I repped you for? I wanted to rep you yesterday for something as well and it wouldnt work

Two garden threads, two food threads....?

The wife is away in Mexico with some girlfriends, so I'm intent on wining and dining (and romancing ?) myself this week.

I'll post the one dinner here where I'm showing off a bit, and the other that is totally deserving of everyone's attention in the original recipe thread.

Pizza...

1.) fresh ball of dough from the baker down the street ($2)

2.) fresh basil pesto made from the garden

3.) proscuitto (or parma ham to you)

4.) fresh local mozzarella from the italian store

5.) fresh figs

6.) added black olives and avocado (optional - probably because I was a bit drunk)

conclusion - most incredibly delicious pizza ever...

IMG_1274_zpsc923f365.jpg

IMG_1280_zps78f46d09.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Any recent discoveries?

Has anyone had the quiches from the new deli counters in larger M&S stores? The Quiche Lorraine (£2.49 each) is seriously good and not like anything I have ever eaten from a supermarket own brand. The custard, if it is a custard, is not set but is a rich, creamy sauce which worked very well with some waxy new potatoes and salad the other night.

And another is Sainsbury's Sun Kiss tomatoes (£2.80/tub) from their deli range. Excellent and the oil they come in is well worth saving for dipping bread into

Any recent discoveries?

Has anyone had the quiches from the new deli counters in larger M&S stores? The Quiche Lorraine (£2.49 each) is seriously good and not like anything I have ever eaten from a supermarket own brand. The custard, if it is a custard, is not set but is a rich, creamy sauce which worked very well with some waxy new potatoes and salad the other night.

And another is Sainsbury's Sun Kiss tomatoes (£2.80/tub) from their deli range. Excellent and the oil they come in is well worth saving for dipping bread into

Make your own sun kissed much better cherry toms rape oil whitewine vinegar in oven at 50 for about a hour theyre well nice.

Sun kissed tomatoes? Tomatoes that have been grown outside and thus exposed to the sun. Fucking hell, there's a novel idea!

Actually I'm pretty convinced that the anaemic bags of flavourless water that pass for tomatoes in most British supermarkets have never been near the sun in their sad, pitiful lives

Actually I'm pretty convinced that the anaemic bags of flavourless water that pass for tomatoes in most British supermarkets have never been near the sun in their sad, pitiful lives

Holiday memories *sighs*

Even the branded tinned tomatoes taste better in Europe. I'm pretty sure that they send the shit stuff to the UK

You're right. Same brand, completely different (for different, read thinner, more watery) taste

I cannot take tomatoes in any form. Except in sauce on pizza or in lovely beans with my fry up.

However roasting vine tomatoes in salt and olive oil then blitzing makes the most perfect pasta sauce ever. Give me one raw and I'd spew.

This line gives me some hope for your eternal soul.

Everything else in this post is just wrong, so utterly wrong.

I live in a world where McCartney appears at the Grammies and "who is Paul McCartney" trends on Twitter. A world in which there exists people who think Titanic is a better film than The Godfather. A world where X Factor gets more viewers than The Wire. And yet none of these appalling attacks on taste upset me more than the idea of the beautiful tomato being turned into a sickly, sugary, shit sauce for over-cooked beans.

Thousands of years of human evolution, perfecting us to the point where we can fly and instantaneously communicate across continents. Yet we still have apparently sentient beings that don't like raw tomatoes.

I cry for the future of humanity and the obvious conclusion that there is no God

• Like 1

If all money is up to date and i get paid tomos im gonna do a 3 course for the family will post Recipes and Pics

Starter

Coconut Chicken with Mango, Lime and Chilli Salsa

Main

Parma Ham Wrapped Monkfish with Pea and mint Risotto and Parmezan Crisp

Desert

Frozen Strawberry Mousse