You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Foodie thread

Champ

Got 2 large sardines before' date=' wanted mackerel but they had none. Looking forward to them[/quote']

You have got the bug!

Go and get a disposable barbie, if you haven't got one, and do them on there. You won't regret it

It's raining here or I'd get our BBQ out and whack them on there.

As it stands now I'm debating either putting them on the grill or baking them simply with some rock salt' date=' pepper and lemon.[/quote']

There's time yet. Its clearing up here.

No-one says you have to eat them outside!

Piece of piss recipe this.

Two bass, in the cavity put a squeeze of lime and a 3 slices of lime as razor thin as you can get it, some tiny diced shallot, some tiny diced red chilli and a splash of good quality very dry white wine with fennel fronds.

Seal in tin foil, either cook in the oven, on a griddle or BBQ and serve with caramelised fennel.

Two bass' date=' in the cavity put a squeeze of lime and a 3 slices of lime as razor thin as you can get it, some tiny diced shallot, some tiny diced red chilli and a splash of good quality very dry white wine with fennel fronds.

Seal in tin foil, either cook in the oven, on a griddle or BBQ and serve with caramelised fennel.[/quote']

He's bought sardines!

However, fennel is something you could grow in a container very easily!

Two bass, in the cavity put a squeeze of lime and a 3 slices of lime as razor thin as you can get it, some tiny diced shallot, some tiny diced red chilli and a splash of good quality very dry white wine with fennel fronds.

Seal in tin foil, either cook in the oven, on a griddle or BBQ and serve with caramelised fennel.

How long for mate? Might give that a go with my sardines

How long for mate? Might give that a go with my sardines

Depends on size and I prefer fish slightly under so I'd go 5 minutes a side.

If you prefer it slightly more well done you can go to 7-8 minutes and the wine will stop it drying out.

EDIT: that's for on the BBQ.

Depends on size and I prefer fish slightly under so I'd go 5 minutes a side.

If you prefer it slightly more well done you can go to 7-8 minutes and the wine will stop it drying out.

EDIT: that's for on the BBQ.

I'm going to be baking them I think. Internet says anywhere between 10 and 45 minutes based on recipe!

I'm going to be baking them I think. Internet says anywhere between 10 and 45 minutes based on recipe!

And lose the skin crisping from the direct heat contrasting with the melt in the mouth flesh *shakes head*

You got a griddle pan or a large frying pan? I'm assuming its raining there as you're not getting the BBQ out.

Have you not been reading the thread...all pushing in and taking over!!!

I've got both yeah, a griddle (not the best) and a great thick bottomed frying pan

Go with the frying pan, a high heat, dry pan, double wrap the fish in foil and make sure you seal it properly.

8 minutes a side and let the fish rest, any liquor that escapes from the parcels add a nob of butter to and pour over the fish when you serve it.

Go with the frying pan, a high heat, dry pan, double wrap the fish in foil and make sure you seal it properly.

8 minutes a side and let the fish rest, any liquor that escapes from the parcels add a nob of butter to and pour over the fish when you serve it.

Never heard of wrapping it in foil and then frying it. I want some chilli in mine but Lady Dangerously's bland french palat can't hack it so can do the two seperately. I will be sure to post pics for you and Champ.

Heroes of the GF

Never heard of wrapping it in foil and then frying it. I want some chilli in mine but Lady Dangerously's bland french palat can't hack it so can do the two seperately. I will be sure to post pics for you and Champ.

Heroes of the GF

It's a version of en papillote, the bird will know of it.

This way it'll give you a chance to get some colour on the fish and steam it slightly with the wine too.