You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

This from Neil Jones from the Echo from a liveblog thing. Suarez's contract clause is a complex one. A clause does exist, but it iis not one which would force Liverpool to sell, only to negotiate. Sounds a bit strange, but I'm told that it is pretty standard. The 'negotiation fee' is in excess of £40m.

I admit that this whole thing with the negotiation clause is a complete mystery to me.

Can Suarez put additional pressure on us to sell him if we only "negotiate" in name only (i.e. demand 100 million or something)? If not, what use is a clause that doesn't force a sale? Surely when a club submits an offer we're already "negotiating" with them, even if we just come back and say "double it or lose our phone number." Does it mean we have to sit down in a room for a certain number of time, or accept a minimum of 4 phone calls lasting no shorter than 10 minutes, or what? I realise these are all ridiculous, but I just don't get it.

It must mean something, because it's apparently put into many contracts, I just don't understand what it means if it's not binding. Can someone enlighten me?

I admit that this whole thing with the negotiation clause is a complete mystery to me.

Can Suarez put additional pressure on us to sell him if we only "negotiate" in name only (i.e. demand 100 million or something)? If not, what use is a clause that doesn't force a sale? Surely when a club submits an offer we're already "negotiating" with them, even if we just come back and say "double it or lose our phone number." Does it mean we have to sit down in a room for a certain number of time, or accept a minimum of 4 phone calls lasting no shorter than 10 minutes, or what? I realise these are all ridiculous, but I just don't get it.

It must mean something, because it's apparently put into many contracts, I just don't understand what it means if it's not binding. Can someone enlighten me?

I think it simply means that Suarez' clause is one where if a certain figure is bid, we are obliged to look at it and decide whether to accept it or not (thus ending the negotiations at that time or advance talks), rather than one where if the clause is met, it's immediately accepted then left up to the player to decide what to do, which seems to the case in most of these clauses.

If true, the club have played that one pretty smartly.

That's what I mean, though. It doesn't seem to benefit Suarez in any way, so why put it in the contract?

If he tells us "I want to go to Real, and they've bid more than the amount in the contract, so you have to negotiate with them" it doesn't seem there's anything stopping us from simply listening to them and then going back to Suarez and saying "Well, they didn't offer enough so you're not moving." If that's all there is to it then I don't see the point of the clause.

You're right, though, in that if that is all it is, it's not really a threat to us in any way.

Guest San Don
That's what I mean, though. It doesn't seem to benefit Suarez in any way, so why put it in the contract?

If he tells us "I want to go to Real, and they've bid more than the amount in the contract, so you have to negotiate with them" it doesn't seem there's anything stopping us from simply listening to them and then going back to Suarez and saying "Well, they didn't offer enough so you're not moving." If that's all there is to it then I don't see the point of the clause.

You're right, though, in that if that is all it is, it's not really a threat to us in any way.

You're missing the point.

The contract clause will be written so a club cant just say to LFC 'oh, we'll bid £40m, can we now speak to Suarez, please?' but have no intention of paying £40m or anything like it.

Once a club has shown this isnt just talk, Liverpool would \ could then turn round and say in the current market, bale is being touted at £80m+, cavani at £50m+ etc, we consider Suarez is equal to those so we're not prepared to sell for less than £60m. Are you willing to pay that? No? Fuck off then!

From Suarez's point of view, he may have wanted a 'sale at' clause in the contract but the club likely said no, but we'll agree this clause which commits us to talk to a club and will give you this pay rise if you sign.

Suarez would hope that any club meeting the criteria could force Liverpool to the negotiating table and accept a bid when the club plus his agent and himself all start to chip in with what they want etc, etc.

That's what he gets out of it. No doubt he also hoped LFC could qualify for the CL so would see it as a 'win \ win' whichever way it turned out.

Think you've kind of answered your own question there, mate, it doesn't benefit Suarez, and nor should it. We nearly lost Reina a few years ago when his clause became public knowledge and there would've been nothing we could've done, he would've been gone (lest we forget he wouldn't rule out the Mancs-albeit under the Owl and it looked desperate).

This time, on the surface at least, it looks as if the club left themselves in a more powerful position regarding the negotiating. It must have been inserted last year. Suppose none of us wanted to think that within a year it would be tested, but at least we hold a lot of the cards, which definitely hasn't always been the case in recent times.

You're missing the point.

The contract clause will be written so a club cant just say to LFC 'oh, we'll bid £40m, can we now speak to Suarez, please?' but have no intention of paying £40m or anything like it.

Once a club has shown this isnt just talk, Liverpool would \ could then turn round and say in the current market, bale is being touted at £80m+, cavani at £50m+ etc, we consider Suarez is equal to those so we're not prepared to sell for less than £60m. Are you willing to pay that? No? Fuck off then!

From Suarez's point of view, he may have wanted a 'sale at' clause in the contract but the club likely said no, but we'll agree this clause which commits us to talk to a club and will give you this pay rise if you sign.

Suarez would hope that any club meeting the criteria could force Liverpool to the negotiating table and accept a bid when the club plus his agent and himself all start to chip in with what they want etc, etc.

That's what he gets out of it. No doubt he also hoped LFC could qualify for the CL so would see it as a 'win \ win' whichever way it turned out.

He owes us another season.

The little shit.