You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

He is superb mate, has been and is, but we can't afford his wages....well, wont pay his wages and I don't think we should.

He is a 'Liverpool type player' of old. Had this been the 1988 version of Liverpool, then he would have been a player we could have attracted. And he would probably have come. Now he won't and we won't.

It's a crying shame.

We can afford his wages, but won't pay them. I don't think we have to write off the chance to sign players like Villa just because we've paid some 28-32 year olds a lot of money in the recent past (I'm not suggesting you are). The main problem with them is that they were shit. We have to be flexible with our transfer policy.

He'd get bucket loads of goals in England.

We can afford his wages, but won't pay them. I don't think we have to write off the chance to sign players like Villa just because we've paid some 28-32 year olds a lot of money in the recent past (I'm not suggesting you are). The main problem with them is that they were shit. We have to be flexible with our transfer policy.

He'd get bucket loads of goals in England.

Oh yeah, I agree with you. 10 fold. But we won't pay him. He is on the slide, he HAS to be given his age, BUT he is pure class, always has been. He wouldn't come here anyway, even if we could or would match the wages Spurs or Chelsea would pay him.

He would be fucking ace for us, he is class, pure class, but it's a non-starter.....sadly.

He's too old.

Bet you would have said the same of Inzaghi, right before he put us out of a Champions League final at three years older than Villa.

Age shouldn't be a barrier for the right player. Think Gary Mac.

Having said that, I doubt Villa would come here right now.

So how important do people think it is that we get a defensive midfielder in? I've seen people (not just on here) that we need a big black African lad in to win the ball back (and pass it back to the opposition presumably)

I'm not sure how important it is personally, at least not to sit on the bench. If there was a player who could sit in front of the back for, win the ball back and start an attack, fair enough, we probably could improve on Lucas, it would cost us a bomb but would certainly improve the side. But bringing in someone to simply 'put a tackle in and clatter some fuckers' seems like a step backwards to me. I dunno how many teams above us have such a player. I'd rather the money was spent on players who would run rings round cloggers like that.

So how important do people think it is that we get a defensive midfielder in? I've seen people (not just on here) that we need a big black African lad in to win the ball back (and pass it back to the opposition presumably)

I'm not sure how important it is personally, at least not to sit on the bench. If there was a player who could sit in front of the back for, win the ball back and start an attack, fair enough, we probably could improve on Lucas, it would cost us a bomb but would certainly improve the side. But bringing in someone to simply 'put a tackle in and clatter some fuckers' seems like a step backwards to me. I dunno how many teams above us have such a player. I'd rather the money was spent on players who would run rings round cloggers like that.

Its important to have competition for lucas and enrique. we need everyone playing to their maximum all the time. If we lose lucas through injury again and we ve no back up then we ll struggle like we have in recent years. Johnson can play left back but what if hes injured or not playing well.

We need at least 2 for every position. We prob have 3 for more advanced midfield roles gerrard allen and Henderson but no one else like lucas. Similarly at left back we ve enrique and that's it.

Im happy we re getting these attacking players but these are 2 areas that need strengthening also.

Rodgers doesn't want 2 for every position. He said he wants a core of about 17 players and the rest young players.

Type into Google 'brendan rodgers wants competition for every position' and see how many results you return.

Then type in rodgers wants a core of 17 players and the rest young players and see what tgat throws up.

I think he will definitely want strong competition for both Enrique and Lucas. The question is whether we'll have enough money left to bring anyone in, or if we'll have to rely on what we have. If it's the latter then I guess Allen and Cody will be the main alternatives to Lucas, and Kelly will be the main alternative to Enrique (with Johnson taking Enrique's place on the left when Kelly plays.) It's not an ideal scenario though and we could definitely do with bringing a couple of players in. There's bound to be a couple of players in those positions in Holland and France who are worth taking a punt on for a few million each.

Type into Google 'brendan rodgers wants competition for every position' and see how many results you return.

Then type in rodgers wants a core of 17 players and the rest young players and see what tgat throws up.

Haha! You obviously didn't actually do that, because I just have and it shows that you are totally wrong!

Did you find where Rodgers said that?

Not to be a pessimistic bastard but I believe till we sign mikhitaryan or papadoupolos, all the players signed so far are either extremely young players who has promising potential but have not been able to break into the first team, or players who are over aged. Aspas might have fared decently in celta but history shows that that doesn't prove shit. We need to sign players who have been a hit for years in their clubs, who have European experience.

Signing all the young talents and trying to integrate them in the squad in one season doesn't seem as promising as it sounds, not forgetting the chance that one of them will start whining about being homesick.

Did you find where Rodgers said that?

Speaking to talkSport, he said: 'One of the things we’re trying to build is a competitive squad. Our squad was very thin last year and it was great being we were able to introduce a few young players from our academy that but it’s very important that we have competition in every position and that wasn’t always the case.Read more:*Jose Reina is staying in Liverpool according to Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers | Mail Online

Not to be a pessimistic bastard but I believe till we sign mikhitaryan or papadoupolos' date=' all the players signed so far are either extremely young players who has promising potential but have not been able to break into the first team, or players who are over aged. Aspas might have fared decently in celta but history shows that that doesn't prove shit. We need to sign players who have been a hit for years in their clubs, who have European experience.

Signing all the young talents and trying to integrate them in the squad in one season doesn't seem as promising as it sounds, not forgetting the chance that one of them will start whining about being homesick.[/quote']

Papadopoulos is 21, Aspas is 24, you were saying

Aspas completes Liverpool switch

iago_aspas_11.jpg

The deal with Celta Vigo is now complete and the 25-year-old has penned a long-term contract after passing a medical at Melwood.

Aspas scored 12 goals and claimed seven assists during 34 appearances for relegation-threatened Celta last term.

The Spanish star can play through the middle or out wide and represents the club's third piece of business this summer following the deal in principle for Man City defender Kolo Toure and the signing this weekend of Luis Alberto from Sevilla.

Can someone explain to me why Barcelona would offer Villa to Man City or us? Surely he's for sale to anyone, why would they give a fuck who they sell to (with the exception of Real Madrid)?

I took it to mean his agent was doing the offering.