You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

When Cleverly snapped him and got booked, he just sat down, shrugged his shoulders and laughed when Cleverly told him to get up. I think he just thought (as I do) "You're fucking shit mate"

He keeps getting up, Stoke were dirty fuckers with him and he just gets up and carries on. Brilliant player.

He's been poor so far by his own high standards but he'll have a blinder soon, I'm sure of it. Needs to be playing centrally really and hopefully we'll see more of that now that Moses has joined.

I doubt he will play centrally much, as I'd expect us to play with three centre midfielders, two wide players and one striker most of the time. If/When he go a bit more attacking and play with two central midfielders and a player just off the striker, I'd expect it to be Suarez in this role behind Sturridge.

I doubt he will play centrally much, as I'd expect us to play with three centre midfielders, two wide players and one striker most of the time. If/When he go a bit more attacking and play with two central midfielders and a player just off the striker, I'd expect it to be Suarez in this role behind Sturridge.

Except that Rodgers has said he is best in the centre and wants to play him there. Or words to that effect.

Except that Rodgers has said he is best in the centre and wants to play him there. Or words to that effect.

Yeah i saw that, but I take everything Rodgers says with a pinch of salt!

I have been really impressed by Coutinho so far, as I'm sure everybody has. At present though with the players we have I don't think he should be playing in a central area. Partly for the reasons I mentioned earlier, and also I don't feel that we have enough good wide players to warrant it either.

The only way I could really see it working at the moment would be if we play with two strikers (Suarez and Sturridge) then Coutinho behind them.

Yeah i saw that, but I take everything Rodgers says with a pinch of salt!

I have been really impressed by Coutinho so far, as I'm sure everybody has. At present though with the players we have I don't think he should be playing in a central area. Partly for the reasons I mentioned earlier, and also I don't feel that we have enough good wide players to warrant it either.

The only way I could really see it working at the moment would be if we play with two strikers (Suarez and Sturridge) then Coutinho behind them.

Well, he's just said it again...

You said recently bringing in another attacking player could perhaps allow Philippe Coutinho to play as a No.10 - will Victor Moses allow that?

Victor can play anywhere across that front line, but probably his best position is on the left cutting in onto his right foot. That may allow Philippe more opportunities to play as that third man and be the connection between our midfield and front players. Philippe is a wonderful talent, he's a young boy who joined us in January of this year and has been fantastic. So hopefully that [Moses deal] will allow him to move inside, but there are going to be games where he'll play in a number of positions. That's the type of players we try to bring in - intelligent footballers who can play in a number of areas on the field - but Philippe will get the opportunity to play more in that No.10 role, which is probably his preferred position.

tough game for him and Aspas today, we played deep and it was hard for them to play back to the goal with scum's high defense line all 2nd half, but job done and who the fuck cares. I'd really welcome a proper left-winger to let Cou play in the middle behind strikers tho.

Once/if he plays through the middle he will produce magic.Praying it will happen.

Well, he's just said it again...

You said recently bringing in another attacking player could perhaps allow Philippe Coutinho to play as a No.10 - will Victor Moses allow that?

Victor can play anywhere across that front line, but probably his best position is on the left cutting in onto his right foot. That may allow Philippe more opportunities to play as that third man and be the connection between our midfield and front players. Philippe is a wonderful talent, he's a young boy who joined us in January of this year and has been fantastic. So hopefully that [Moses deal] will allow him to move inside, but there are going to be games where he'll play in a number of positions. That's the type of players we try to bring in - intelligent footballers who can play in a number of areas on the field - but Philippe will get the opportunity to play more in that No.10 role, which is probably his preferred position.

Key word, may!

I wouldn't expect there to be too many games where we play with Moses, Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho at the same time. Possibly if we are losing or trying to turn a draw in to a win, because that formation leaves our midfield far too exposed. The Southampton away game was a great example last year where we just got completely overrun with only two in midfield.

• Upvote 1

Key word, may!

I wouldn't expect there to be too many games where we play with Moses, Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho at the same time. Possibly if we are losing or trying to turn a draw in to a win, because that formation leaves our midfield far too exposed. The Southampton away game was a great example last year where we just got completely overrun with only two in midfield.

It's not really 2 in midfield though is it? He'd be playing at the apex of a midfield 3 triangle I'd assume and Coutinho has shown willingness to track back, put in tackles, and make interceptions. Sure he's no Gerrard of old but he's more than capable of being a nuisance as is Suarez. Sturridge already defends from the front, the only one there I'm unsure of their defensive qualities is Moses.

The only problem I have with it is that I think Henderson deserves to play but he's not going to unseat Gerrard and I don't know if he's ideal for the Lucas role, seems it would limit his qualities too much, though I do think he could do a job there in spot instances.

It's not really 2 in midfield though is it? He'd be playing at the apex of a midfield 3 triangle I'd assume and Coutinho has shown willingness to track back, put in tackles, and make interceptions. Sure he's no Gerrard of old but he's more than capable of being a nuisance as is Suarez. Sturridge already defends from the front, the only one there I'm unsure of their defensive qualities is Moses.

The only problem I have with it is that I think Henderson deserves to play but he's not going to unseat Gerrard and I don't know if he's ideal for the Lucas role, seems it would limit his qualities too much, though I do think he could do a job there in spot instances.

Yeah, I think a lot depends on the defensive qualities of the wide forwards in this formation.

I agree with you about Henderson. As I've mentioned we look a lot stronger defensively with three proper centre midfielders in the team. I think Henderson will start to chip in with a few goals too.

When everybody is fit and available I'd play Lucas Gerrard and Henderson in midfield, with Coutinho, Sturridge and Suarez up front. I actually think our team almost picks itself at the moment. Only the Centreback roles look like they will have strong competition for places.

• 3 weeks later...

fuck! Least its only one game without him or Suarez who can just play behind Sturridge now, like Aspas as a player but looks a bit weak for the behind the striker role in games which will be tight in the middle, wonder if Alberto's hattrick may put him in consideration for saturday

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Dear Ashley 'thug cunt' Williams,

You're a massive cunt who probably shags sheep, then breaks their legs. Also, you're a total fucking cunt.

Lots of love,

TLW.

• Upvote 1