You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 songs don't make a great album even if they are 4 of the greatest songs ever produced. Knock yourself out if you wanna listen to the rest of the album.

4 songs?

Have you ever listened to Tommy all the way through?

Or even Quadraphenia and The Who Sells Out as other examples?

As I say I am not the biggest fan and rarely listen to them but come on 4 songs, really?

On a side note, I have realised a lot about music as I have gotten older, I am finally moving away from a one dimensional outlook on it, if it wasn't heavy and hard it was shit. I have now realised you can heavy in everything if it is done right.

I even found myself agreeing with Paul and his comments about Wham!

Even though it is 'pop' music and up until about 6 months ago I would have slagged anyone off for having it on (even tough I believe George Michael himself is a top class songwriter and performer)

I am not the biggest Beatles fan at all but I have to appreciate they did write a bloody good number of masterpieces. The same with Abba, happy pop but some banging party tunes and excellent riffage. Open the ears and you can be free of one eyed views and appreciate somebody’s talent for a certain genre, and especially when that talent moves with the times or makes music that is different but pioneering. Adele being another one who I wouldn’t normally stick on when playing a game of FIFA or thinking about listening to before attempting to write a new tune myself, but my word, that girl can sing and write to a phenomenal level.

I think it is very easy for someone who does not a like a certain style of music to label it shit. And Remmie was spot on about his summary of how music threads go, I ventured into the Bowie thread the other day, as I knew King Emlyn and stringvest would have been right on it and I wanted to read about their own opinions and bring others in, but I can’t remember who it was just waded in saying “He is shit” and I thought, how can anyone say that about one of the most influential artists on the planet, ok you might not like him, but shit? Never in a million years.

I was listening to the Freakzone with Stuart Maconie in Radio 6 last night and it was a celebration of Scott Walker f his 70th Birthday and release of his new album Bish Bosch. My missus at first said “What the fuck is this shit?” so I explained what he was about and his music was never about being a happy soul, and once she understood and listened to the conversations between Maconie and Walker she appreciated and changed he r opinion from ‘shit’ to different, gloomy picture painting with words and soundscaping music. It did make her ask me to download the Walker Brothers early stuff though. All you need to do is take blinkers off and listen to the music as opposed to the band/artist, if you all know what I mean?

In years gone by I have switched something off after 30 seconds and labelled it shit, only to revisit it some time later and think, “Wow I was wrong about that one?”

Coldplay are a big wind up for me as they have rightly or wrongly suck with a method and not diversified away from it since the 3rd album, I grates on my ears because it gets over played, but hey can sure write a hit song that the world apparently wants or likes. Hats off.

4 songs?

Have you ever listened to Tommy all the way through?

Or even Quadraphenia and The Who Sells Out as other examples?

As I say I am not the biggest fan and rarely listen to them but come on 4 songs, really?

I haven't explained myself very well. I was talking specifically about 'Who's next' when I said there are only four good songs. I'm not slating the who, I think there best British band ever if you went on musicianship alone. I just don't think they've ever really realised one great album. Just my opinion but I find myself skipping lots of dirge.

I think that despite the fact that all the choices are personal, and as such very subjective, when a superior race comes to judge us it will not help us in our defence that the Stereophonics were mentioned on this thread. Think on, eh?

Off the top of my head I'd say:

Radiohead

The Beatles

Massive Attack

The Rolling Stones

Portishead

Pink Floyd

Bloc Party

The Prodigy

Joy Division

Doves

Led Zep

SFA

Are the main bands fighting it out for the top ten slots. Influence on other bands is irrelevant in me answering this, just how much I like their music and if they've done quite a bit of it then it'll probably push out someone that's done less. I doubt Oasis would make it into my top 30 (and I've seen them live two or three times).

Edited by Stu Monty

I haven't explained myself very well. I was talking specifically about 'Who's next' when I said there are only four good songs. I'm not slating the who, I think there best British band ever if you went on musicianship alone. I just don't think they've ever really realised one great album. Just my opinion but I find myself skipping lots of dirge.

Ah! I am with you now.

I would put Zeppelin and Floyd above them personally myself, but as you say that is just my opinion.

In no particular order. Due to live performances and major impact in America.

Led Zeppelin

The Beatles

Pink Floyd

The Clash

Iron Maiden

Queen

The Who

Cream

Black Sabbath

Rolling Stones

There are other bands I could include but breaking both sides of the Atlantic is a big pull for me. I know there are loads of bands who have made it both sides but that 10 are bands everyone wants to emulate imo.

I want to throw Everything But The Girl into the debate. I'm not that arsed about their later housey stuff (although it's fine) and they had a period where they seemed to put out the same record several times (not alone on this list with that accusation, though). However, Eden is a fucking amazing album and Each and Every One is a stone cold classic of a song.

Tracey Thorn is rightly lauded for her vocals with Massive Attack, but I reckon she might just be the greatest British female singer ever in my book for her vocals on that tune. They're fucking sublime.

Haha I like most of the bands mentioned' date=' just not a fan of Britpop.

One band I thought was on to something was Then Jerico, but they never really got going after Big Area did they?[/quote']

Big Area was a freaking awesome song. Great shout. True that they disappeared after that. Pity.

I want to throw Everything But The Girl into the debate. I'm not that arsed about their later housey stuff (although it's fine) and they had a period where they seemed to put out the same record several times (not alone on this list with that accusation, though). However, Eden is a fucking amazing album and Each and Every One is a stone cold classic of a song.

Tracey Thorn is rightly lauded for her vocals with Massive Attack, but I reckon she might just be the greatest British female singer ever in my book for her vocals on that tune. They're fucking sublime.

I have to agree with this. Perfect pop song. I remember hearing her first solo songs, though I think she was still performing with the Marine Girls - she brought an 12 inch EP out, and I thought it was fantastic. Melancholy sits very well on her voice. Simple stuff, simply played.

Listen to this - actually from the Marine Girls album, but more similar to the stuff on the Tracey Thorn EP, and it's easy to see where 'Each And Every One' came from. Simple song structure, two repeating notes over three minor chords before resolving with a major at the end of the verse, and an even more gorgeous repeated phrase in the 'chorus'. Actually forget that bollocks, it's just a lovely song.

[YOUTUBE]OeAH3FL3Lfo[/YOUTUBE]

I think that despite the fact that all the choices are personal, and as such very subjective, when a superior race comes to judge us it will not help us in our defence that the Stereophonics were mentioned on this thread. Think on, eh?

I stand accused. But I'm Welsh so I don't have to worry about the prospect of there being any superior race...:whistle:

I have to agree with this. Perfect pop song. I remember hearing her first solo songs' date=' though I think she was still performing with the Marine Girls - she brought an 12 inch EP out, and I thought it was fantastic. Melancholy sits very well on her voice. Simple stuff, simply played.

Listen to this - actually from the Marine Girls album, but more similar to the stuff on the Tracey Thorn EP, and it's easy to see where 'Each And Every One' came from. Simple song structure, two repeating notes over three minor chords before resolving with a major at the end of the verse, and an even more gorgeous repeated phrase in the 'chorus'. Actually forget that bollocks, it's just a lovely song.

[/quote']

Not heard that before. Ta.

You're right about her voice bring perfect for melancholy. It really is. I also love how rich and warm it sounds at the same time too.

Off the top of my head I'd say:

Radiohead

The Beatles

Massive Attack

The Rolling Stones

Portishead

Pink Floyd

Bloc Party

The Prodigy

Joy Division

Doves

Led Zep

SFA

Are the main bands fighting it out for the top ten slots. Influence on other bands is irrelevant in me answering this, just how much I like their music and if they've done quite a bit of it then it'll probably push out someone that's done less. I doubt Oasis would make it into my top 30 (and I've seen them live two or three times).

Fucking bloc party?

Not a fan of the Stereophonics myself but i'd rather listen to them than Radiohead.

Bloc Party? Always thought this was a Rap or Hip Hop band,maybe they are but I've never heard a single song of theirs.

C'mon man. Are you off your rocker? WTF.

Stereophonics are nothing but a glorified pub band.

Radiohead are in a totally different league than Stereophonics. Jez.

I'd neg but I respect you for having your own, rather flawed, opinion!!

C'mon man. Are you off your rocker? WTF.

Stereophonics are nothing but a glorified pub band.

Radiohead are in a totally different league than Stereophonics. Jez.

I'd neg but I respect you for having your own' date=' rather flawed, opinion!![/quote']

I said I wasn't a fan but I've simply never heard a Bloc Party tune in my life.

Radiohead bore the crap out of me and yet they seem so popular. They sound more downbeat than Coldplay.

I said I wasn't a fan but I've simply never heard a Bloc Party tune in my life.

Radiohead bore the crap out of me and yet they seem so popular. They sound more downbeat than Coldplay.

I'm sure you're refering to the Radiohead tunes from their 2nd and 3rd album which are very moody? But have you listed to anything from their last 2 albums? Anything but downbeat.

But tis your opinion Pal and you're allowed it.

who has???? me or monty? having bloc party over oasis is laughable. i know its opinions but fucking hell.

You seem to be a bit dim.

That's a shame.

It's subjective. They did two outstanding records and Kele an outstanding lyricist writing amazing songs.

At no point did their songs have the feel of a donkey plodding through the desert because they all had ideas and all played their instruments well. They also had a drummer I've never heard bettered.

Edited by Stu Monty