You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Energy Price Fixing Scandal

skend04

Hold on to your hats, this could be way bigger then the banks rigging the Libor rates!

But one thing, how many elderly people have died because they couldn't afford to heat their homes in winter? Now what if traders and companies have rigged prices to increase profits, should they then be held accountable for these deaths and possibly for manslaughter? Maybe a little far-fetched but some of these fuckers desrve to be hung just for wearing stripey shirts and Bobby Ball braces in my opinion.

Hang on a second, I thought people were saying customers were unaffected. Weren't they meant to be manipulating the wholesale price to make it lower? Not sure how that'd translate to elderly people dying.

I read it as profiteering in the same way as Libor. If guilty Ed Davey has already said companies could be forced to give money back to customers, so i thinks it's ripping off of Joe Public that the whistleblowers are alleging.

I'll freely admit I've only read the headlines on this, but its about time something was done about this.

I know that companies are entitled to make profits, but at what stage does it look greedy and profiteering? When it comes to utility companies questions should be asked.

They should look at the water companies too and the seemingly excessive profits they post every year for a resource that is essential for life.

The banking sector got away with dodgy practices for years from endowments to pensions to PPI and they are being held to account now so hopefully the time will come when the energy sector gets the same treatment.

I have no problem with making profits, its what they are in business to do, but the figures being published are silly.

If there was that much money to be made genuinely then the government should nationalise them all again and make profit for themselves and the country.

I'll freely admit I've only read the headlines on this' date=' but its about time something was done about this.

I know that companies are entitled to make profits, but at what stage does it look greedy and profiteering? When it comes to utility companies questions should be asked.

They should look at the water companies too and the seemingly excessive profits they post every year for a resource that is essential for life.

The banking sector got away with dodgy practices for years from endowments to pensions to PPI and they are being held to account now so hopefully the time will come when the energy sector gets the same treatment.

I have no problem with making profits, its what they are in business to do, but the figures being published are silly.

If there was that much money to be made genuinely then the government should nationalise them all again and make profit for themselves and the country.[/quote']

its no coincidence that this is the net result of privatisation,it was only going to end one way.

Human's are greedy by nature and private companies have shareholders who constantly want a return on their investment regardless of circumstances.

Privatisation of essential services doesnt benefit the vast majority of normal people.

Regulation is obviously needed but will only be a token gesture as any real action would alienate tory benefactors and prevent their mp's getting cushy jobs on the boards of these companies when they retire from parliament.