You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ideal January signing

Bert

Been watching a bit of German footie, and it's the best league at the minute, by my reckoning.

One who's caught my eye is Stefan Kiessling at Leverkusen. Looks to have all the attributes to lead the line. Strong, good touch, good in the air, no slouch, good finisher. Also, Leverkusen are doing really well. Sami Hyypia, future Liverpool manager?

You might be onto something. Asked on LFC last night for one player he would like Liverpool to sign in January and Molby said Kiessling. I hadn't clue who he was as not one of the names normally banded about. Or did you watch the same programme and then made it your own :whistle:

We could exchnage for Yesil??

I rate Sturridge very highly from the two times he has got regular runs in the team(Bolton loan and under AVB), the only doubts I have about him is why he hasn't really had a look in since AVB left with Torres being absolutely dire most of the time but thats probably more Roman's choice than the manager, he can be a greedy bastard but we need some of that, Ince could go either way really, never rated him on our books before but he looks a completely different player for Blackpool, I doubt there will be much (any) money left in the pot after these two are done so I'd like to think Brendan will be completely sure about him before chucking a decent sum of money at him

either way both look they will happen and its nice to see us doing it early and lets hope it works out

so including borni and allen that,s 43 million if these deals go through on 4 player,s their decent buys nothing else

thing is £10m for a player doesn't get you much these days. Yep i know there are the odd hidden gem like Michu, Hernandez etc but with scouting networks so fierce nowadays even the talented but unproven youngster can be as much as £10-15m as competition is so strong to sign 'the next big thing'. English clubs are at an added disadvantage due to employment laws over here. We can't cherry pick from South America or Eastern Europe like other European clubs can. We have to wait for them to make a name for themselves in Portugal, Spain, Germany, Holland, France or Russia

Sturridge and Ince for 16-18m isnt too bad.

We need another CF though, If Carroll could stay fit I wouldnt be against recalling him in January. If we had an extra 10 million or so I would go after Villa or Huntelaar, preferably the latter

People going off on one due to not getting Clint Dempsey on the last day of the previous window, now going off on one because there are 'only' two deals for goalscorers apparently sewn up and to be made official at the beginning of January?

So if this very deal for two players had happened in place of the Dempsey one, why are people so pissed about it now? I'd have thought it'd be an attempt to right a wrong....or am I missing something?

People going off on one due to not getting Clint Dempsey on the last day of the previous window, now going off on one because there are 'only' two deals for goalscorers apparently sewn up and to be made official at the beginning of January?

So if this very deal for two players had happened in place of the Dempsey one, why are people so pissed about it now? I'd have thought it'd be an attempt to right a wrong....or am I missing something?

Think people were pissed off as these faceless advisors said he wasn't good enough after most of our attacking options were gone.

People probably think the obsession with buying British will fuck us up like last time, spending a lot of cash on players who look like they won't improve us greatly.

Why not spend £18m on one top quality forward from around Europe, instead?

Buying players to fill the squad will...you guessed it...leaves you with a load of squad players.

I'd rather we spent £20m on a genuine talent, such as we did with Suarez, or Atletico did with Aguero. The problem is, doing so requires balls and means you can't fuck it up. Unfortunately we need a manager with (a) balls and (b) acuity in order to arrest our decline and have us challenging.

If they come here, lets hope they do well. Indifferent about Ince - don't know much about him - and whilst I can see the qualities of Sturridge, i'm not convinced either. But its the managers call, lets see if hes made a right one.

Edited by FrenchEyeGlass

Buying players to fill the squad will...you guessed it...leaves you with a load of squad players.

I'd rather we spent £20m on a genuine talent, such as we did with Suarez, or Atletico did with Aguero. The problem is, doing so requires balls and means you can't fuck it up. Unfortunately we need a manager with (a) balls and (b) acuity in order to arrest our decline and have us challenging.

If they come here, lets hope they do well. Indifferent about Ince - don't know much about him - and whilst I can see the qualities of Sturridge, i'm not convinced either. But its the managers call, lets see if hes made a right one.

We, simply, need more than one body joining us in January, especially if we get rid of that waster Cole, and Downing.

We, simply, need more than one body joining us in January, especially if we get rid of that waster Cole, and Downing.

We won't get rid of either in my opinion (maybe Cole, actually) but nevertheless, I think squad-filling is myopic and short-termist. I'd rather we bought a world class value adding £20m player and maybe brought somebody like Bent in on loan, than sign two-three mediocre/nearly-there players on five year contracts.

Honestly, Harry Redknapp, well known for loving a dabble in transfer windows, going to a well-financed club like QPR, could be a blessing in disguise.

How much for a Joe Cole/Stewart Downing double? Even £10m for both, plus both their wages off the books would be a significant step closer to letting BR having the squad he wants, plus frees up some more money for other deals, plus the owners can pocket the saved wages. Everybody's happy!

Ok, I'm rambling and this will almost certainly not happen, but it's the middle of the day in Oz, the office is quiet as fuck in the wind-down to Christmas, so I'm amusing myself on here until the break-up Friday.

Not sure we can afford to have that attitude, short as we are up front. We need at least two, and we definitely can't afford two from the top drawer.

I personally can see the sense in Ince. Cheap, young, scores goals (in a poor league). If he comes here it's not a big risk.

It's Sturridge that worries me. If Walcott is digging in his heels to go somewhere other than here (which seems odd as he's a Liverpool fan) then why not go for Mertens? He's been talked about in the £12 million range, and I can't imagine his wage demands would be much different from Sturridge's. He'd be a much better fit for our system and he's a better player, full stop. It concerns me a bit that Brendan might be wearing blinders a bit when it comes to his former players.