You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The '2012 London Olympics' Thread

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Guest Pistonbroke
Pretty safe to say that Wiggins is sports personality of the year. Which of the cycling or rowing teams will be crowned team of the year?

far to hard to say who will get that....they should just bin it and share it amongst all medal winners.

Indeed. They had an interview with his school PE teacher today; the man who saw Farah's talent and encouraged him through what was apparently a difficult childhood. Him and Mo are still very close, and there will have been no one prouder than his old teacher tonight.

It's things like this that keep me believing in British society, despite all the scaremongering that's peddled by the rags.

Aye, defo.

As much as I adore Billy Bragg and his music, I must admit though, I do think it's time that we as a nation stopped vieweing people as different races and started seeing everybody as equals. That wasn't a black man who won the 10,000m or a mixed race girl who won the heptathlon, they were just British athletes who achieved incredible and fantastic feats. Personally, I think the sooner we stop categorising people as colour, the better; and only then will racism and prejudice be fully eradicated. Not that I expect it to happen in my lifetime.

Sorry to go off on a slight tangent with the post. Still, I hope tonight's a big fuck off to the likes of the Mail to show that we're a better society when unified, rather than through the insidious, divise rhetoric they peddle on a daily basis.

far to hard to say who will get that....they should just bin it and share it amongst all medal winners.

In any other year Wiggins would walk it; the first British winner of the Tour de France and an Olympic gold medallist in the space of two weeks.

Plus, he has the best sidies ever and is not afraid to use the word 'cunt' in post-race interviews.

Indeed. They had an interview with his school PE teacher today; the man who saw Farah's talent and encouraged him through what was apparently a difficult childhood. Him and Mo are still very close, and there will have been no one prouder than his old teacher tonight.

It's things like this that keep me believing in British society, despite all the scaremongering that's peddled by the rags.

Absolutely.

Had a similar discussion with my mate earlier, mainly about the rowing. It's a posh peoples sport, primarily for the privately educated. I don't know anybody that's ever been given the opportunity to row properly, let alone competitively. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that it's the Brits taking the medals but I feel no affinity (sp) towards them like I do with other more accessable sportsmen.

My thoughts exactly.

In any other year Wiggins would walk it; the first British winner of the Tour de France and an Olympic gold medallist in the space of two weeks.

Plus, he has the best sidies ever and is not afraid to use the word 'cunt' in post-race interviews.

Just when you thought he couldn't get any more ace.

Guest Pistonbroke
Had a similar discussion with my mate earlier, mainly about the rowing. It's a posh peoples sport, primarily for the privately educated. I don't know anybody that's ever been given the opportunity to row properly, let alone competitively. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that it's the Brits taking the medals but I feel no affinity (sp) towards them like I do with other more accessable sportsmen.

I get that mate, i truly do. As a shit normal Geordie/half scouser or adopted scouse who has supported Liverpool all my life i was not born into luxury. Yet as a soldier i had the pleasure of participating in many sports which seemed unavailable to my likes. Sailing was one of them and i was real good at it, but my social ranking left me short of progressing at it and i wasn't prepared to be a posh fucker who i was not. They used me as a boxer as i mentioned earlier and getting my brains shuttled about for the joy of the officers soon wore off. I was your typical sport billy and would try everything but mastered none....although i played a decent level of footy and was ace at sailing.

Hopefully these games will open certain sports to anyone no matter what background they have, if you have potential then your social ranking shouldn't be a barrier.

Aye, defo.

As much as I adore Billy Bragg and his music, I must admit though, I do think it's time that we as a nation stopped vieweing people as different races and started seeing everybody as equals. That wasn't a black man who won the 10,000m or a mixed race girl who won the heptathlon, they were just British athletes who achieved incredible and fantastic feats. Personally, I think the sooner we stop categorising people as colour, the better; and only then will racism and prejudice be fully eradicated. Not that I expect it to happen in my lifetime.

Sorry to go off on a slight tangent with the post. Still, I hope tonight's a big fuck off to the likes of the Mail to show that we're a better society when unified, rather than through the insidious, divise rhetoric they peddle on a daily basis.

Can't argue with any of that mate. Well said.

Edited by Croque Monsieur
Need to spread it before I can rep.

Guest Pistonbroke

If a foot...er is on the short list i'll do my nut.....it has to be Wiggins, Ennis, Mo, Hoy etc etc etc......The Cycling track team will get team award though, that is nailed on.

Guest Pistonbroke
Aye, defo.

well said mate.

The fuck...

Collins thrown out of Games for seeing wife

Former world champion Kim Collins will not race in the Olympic 100 metres and has vowed never to run again for St Kitts & Nevis again after a fallout with the country's officials.

The 36-year-old Collins, who won his world title in 2003, was appearing at his fifth Olympics and carried his country's flag at the opening ceremony - but that did not stop his nation throwing him out the Games for breaking their rules on seeing his family.

Collins spent some time with his wife at the team hotel this week, and his team officials imposed the ultimate sanction on one of the greatest athletes in the history of the Caribbean nation.

"Even men in prison get their wives to visit," he tweeted. "6 athletes and 9 officials. That ain't enough to make some people happy. Omg," the former 100m world champion and Commonwealth gold medallist tweeted on Saturday.

"Won't be running later tonight. For those who saw me run in Mexico. That's the last time I represent my country."

Collins's fellow sprint legend Ato Boldon was outraged on behalf of his friend and former opponent. "No-one’s saying Kim didn’t violate team rules… that might well be so. That warrant kicking your greatest athlete ever out of the Olympics?" he wrote on Twitter.

"These federations need to get over themselves. Kim Collins is a world champion and a pioneer. Leave him alone and find the next Kim!!

A team official played down the incident.

"The NOC of St Kitts & Nevis has not seen or heard from Kim Collins for the last three days," the NOC's general secretary Alphonso Bridgewater told reporters. "We are unaware of his whereabouts."

Collins finished seventh in the 2000 Olympic final and sixth in 2004 but with a season's best of 10.05 seconds was unlikely to feature in Sunday's final.

St Kitts & Nevis sprinter Tameka Williams was sent home last week by her team for a potential drug violation.

Guest Pistonbroke
The fuck...

Collins thrown out of Games for seeing wife

Former world champion Kim Collins will not race in the Olympic 100 metres and has vowed never to run again for St Kitts & Nevis again after a fallout with the country's officials.

The 36-year-old Collins, who won his world title in 2003, was appearing at his fifth Olympics and carried his country's flag at the opening ceremony - but that did not stop his nation throwing him out the Games for breaking their rules on seeing his family.

Collins spent some time with his wife at the team hotel this week, and his team officials imposed the ultimate sanction on one of the greatest athletes in the history of the Caribbean nation.

"Even men in prison get their wives to visit," he tweeted. "6 athletes and 9 officials. That ain't enough to make some people happy. Omg," the former 100m world champion and Commonwealth gold medallist tweeted on Saturday.

"Won't be running later tonight. For those who saw me run in Mexico. That's the last time I represent my country."

Collins's fellow sprint legend Ato Boldon was outraged on behalf of his friend and former opponent. "No-one’s saying Kim didn’t violate team rules… that might well be so. That warrant kicking your greatest athlete ever out of the Olympics?" he wrote on Twitter.

"These federations need to get over themselves. Kim Collins is a world champion and a pioneer. Leave him alone and find the next Kim!!

A team official played down the incident.

"The NOC of St Kitts & Nevis has not seen or heard from Kim Collins for the last three days," the NOC's general secretary Alphonso Bridgewater told reporters. "We are unaware of his whereabouts."

Collins finished seventh in the 2000 Olympic final and sixth in 2004 but with a season's best of 10.05 seconds was unlikely to feature in Sunday's final.

St Kitts & Nevis sprinter Tameka Williams was sent home last week by her team for a potential drug violation.

officials trying to be bigger than the athletes...load of bollocks.

Guest Pistonbroke

Rite, the missus has just winked at me as her chick film has ended....off to bed noe, been a great day guys and gals...thanks.

If you need a motor or a horse then it shouldn't be in the Olympics. Having said that... if we can snaffle up medals in it then I'm not arsed.

I hear this all the time but there's a strong case for keeping the horsey events in the Olympics. They did have equestrianism in the Ancient Olympics and, much like today, they were the only events where men and women could compete on an equal basis (although back then, they were the only events women were allowed to compete in).

I hear this all the time but there's a strong case for keeping the horsey events in the Olympics. They did have equestrianism in the Ancient Olympics and, much like today, they were the only events where men and women could compete on an equal basis (although back then, they were the only events women were allowed to compete in).
They had Horse fashion show in the ancient Olympics?