You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The '2012 London Olympics' Thread

Guest Numero Veinticinco

4173848-3x2-700x467.jpg

That's Vicky right after getting off her bike in the team sprint race that she got disqualified from. If that's rough you have high standards, she's fit as a butcher's dog.

My comment was based on an interview after the disqualification the other day. Close up and in HD she looked fucking awful. A bit old and blotchy skin. Dog rough might have been over the top but she's not a patch on the sublime Jessica.

Must say this gang. I never really thought I'd get in to the Olympic spirit but I've been hooked since the night of the opening ceremony. I've honestly never had a feel good factor about Britishness before' date=' but these Olympics have have done it for me.[/quote']

Snap

Guest Pistonbroke

yeh, stalker looked fucked...but having boxed myself albeit only Army level, 3 rounds can be knackering as you up the pace 5 fold over a normal fight and more times than not you are in the ring against fast hands rather than against skill. My mother was always proud of me coming second...although i won quite a few as well. but getting my head pummelled for a few hand shakes from the officers soon wore off and i decided to stick to other sports.

yeh, stalker looked fucked...but having boxed myself albeit only Army level, 3 rounds can be knackering as you up the pace 5 fold over a normal fight and more times than not you are in the ring against fast hands rather than against skill. My mother was always proud of me coming second...although i won quite a few as well. but getting my head pummelled for a few hand shakes from the officers soon wore off and i decided to stick to other sports.

I don't think it helped that the other lad had had a bout to sharpen him up & Tom had just watched on & sparred for over a week.

Having had a few bouts as a youngster, I can agree completely that watching amateur boxing is preferable to having some young grock punching you about the head & body.

He's our Somalian till he looses,just like Lennox Lewis and Linford Christie.

Always remembered that in the press.

Win "Britains Linford Christie strikes Gold"

Loose "Jamaican born Linford Christie in disappointing race"

From an Irish perspective, yes, the perspective that always wants to see England beaten in foo**all, it's been a very enjoyable experience seeing these athletes winning deserved golds. They're reaping the rewards of years of toil. They're crossing the line first, whether in athletics, rowing, cycling or any other sport, and every victory is richly deserved because they're the best, not because they've entered the arena clueless about tactics, fluked a yard/goal on their opponent on a break and then parked the bus. A special mention has to go to the ladies cycling team who set 6 successive world records in six outings. Absolutely phenomenal stuff.

Yes, the media will go into jingoistic overdrive about them, but it's to be expected with success. And today's six golds are success like never seen before, so it's fair game. Contrast that with the hype that the press whip up when England beat San Marino or Lithuania in a qualifier, and it's Jules Rimet, here we come.

The individual personalities are no small part of it either. Jessica Ennis has a great advantage in this respect as she is just absolutely gorgeous in every way. She could commit murder and with a flash of that smile, the case would be struck out of court. Her humility and down to earth nature are an inherent part of who and what she is. Likewise, Bradley Wiggins, Mo Farah, Greg Rutherford come across as such a normal guys.

These victories are claimed as 'Team GB' but for me, they're about the individuals. Team GB is for the politicians and media to claim as theirs. The individuals are for the real sports fans to enjoy and celebrate and laud.

Long may they enjoy their thoroughly deserved victories.

A biased Irishman.

Guest Pistonbroke
I don't think it helped that the other lad had had a bout to sharpen him up & Tom had just watched on & sparred for over a week.

Having had a few bouts as a youngster, I can agree completely that watching amateur boxing is preferable to having some young grock punching you about the head & body.

He will certainly feel a lot better after that win and should be feeling match fit for his next fight. Having a fight less than your opponent at the start of a competition is always a worrying time when you are a favourite. GB boxing squad and Ireland are doing well, then add the home crowd to that and it should give the boxers an added bit of stamina come the later medal fights.