You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The '2012 London Olympics' Thread

Guest Numero Veinticinco

From an Irish perspective' date=' yes, the perspective that always wants to see England beaten in foo**all, it's been a very enjoyable experience seeing these athletes winning deserved golds. They're reaping the rewards of years of toil. They're crossing the line first, whether in athletics, rowing, cycling or any other sport, and every victory is richly deserved because they're the best, not because they've entered the arena clueless about tactics, fluked a yard/goal on their opponent on a break and then parked the bus. A special mention has to go to the ladies cycling team who set 6 successive world records in six outings. Absolutely phenomenal stuff.

Yes, the media will go into jingoistic overdrive about them, but it's to be expected with success. And today's six golds are success like never seen before, so it's fair game. Contrast that with the hype that the press whip up when England beat San Marino or Lithuania in a qualifier, and it's Jules Rimet, here we come.

The individual personalities are no small part of it either. Jessica Ennis has a great advantage in this respect as she is just absolutely gorgeous in every way. She could commit murder and with a flash of that smile, the case would be struck out of court. Her humility and down to earth nature are an inherent part of who and what she is. Likewise, Bradley Wiggins, Mo Farah, Greg Rutherford come across as such a normal guys.

These victories are claimed as 'Team GB' but for me, they're about the individuals. Team GB is for the politicians and media to claim as theirs. The individuals are for the real sports fans to enjoy and celebrate and laud.

Long may they enjoy their thoroughly deserved victories.

A biased Irishman.[/quote']

Great post.

Will rep when on laptop and not phone.

Completely agree about the individual performances.

If we see a great 100/200m final and the world record shattered I'll feel the same as I did today.

It's about seeing the best compete and push each other too new heights.

Every great athlete needs a great rival to push them to the limit.

Guest Pistonbroke

My kids have an English dad, a Russian mother, an Anglo Indian grandmother, Polish grandmother, English grandfather and a German grandfather. My daughter said tonight she would be British if she was good enough to compete in a sport because our passion is second to none....one proud daddy here.

Guest Pistonbroke
Pictures on the e-mail scammer thread please!

she is 42 this year, but still a stunner....well she is in my eyes. Taken with a mobile, the younger one is my daughter....No nasty shit lads, she is only 16. Pic was taken 18 moths ago.P311210_19580001.jpg[/img]

Missus again....bit of a wonky tooth as a young Turkish lad biffed her in the mouth by accident (she is a Kindergarten teacher), this pic was taken last month. img006.jpg[/img]

don#t believe i'm posting pics of me missus and the daughter....i#ll be sober in the morn and regret this.

My god was that a incredible night at the track for you british lads.Ennis and Mo Farah were absoloutly tremendous,I was screaming on Farah for that last lap.Sounded like it was a incredible atmosphere there too.

Heres tomorrows headlines too:

7l917b

Billy Braggs take on it all:

Been really enjoying the Olympics this week, but nothing could have prepared me for today's excitement. More medals in the sitting down sports and for the first time we won three gold medals in athletics in one night - all in the space of half an hour! Okay, so it was immediately followed by us getting knocked out of the football on penalties, but what an amazing day for our athletes.

I’m still

buzzing from the fact that tonight, to a watching world, our society was represented by three people - a ginger-haired bloke who looks like a postman, a black man named Mohammed and a young, mixed race woman who has become the face of modern Britain. How can we not be proud of that? NICK GRIFFIN, DAVID STARKEY, DAILY MAIL, EDL, AIDAN BURLEY - CAN YOU HEAR ME? YOU BOYS TOOK ONE HELL OF A BEATING!

Billy Braggs take on it all:

Been really enjoying the Olympics this week, but nothing could have prepared me for today's excitement. More medals in the sitting down sports and for the first time we won three gold medals in athletics in one night - all in the space of half an hour! Okay, so it was immediately followed by us getting knocked out of the football on penalties, but what an amazing day for our athletes.

I’m still

buzzing from the fact that tonight, to a watching world, our society was represented by three people - a ginger-haired bloke who looks like a postman, a black man named Mohammed and a young, mixed race woman who has become the face of modern Britain. How can we not be proud of that? NICK GRIFFIN, DAVID STARKEY, DAILY MAIL, EDL, AIDAN BURLEY - CAN YOU HEAR ME? YOU BOYS TOOK ONE HELL OF A BEATING!

HaHa,brilliant.

Guest Pistonbroke
Ace PB, always massive respect to anyone that moves abroad. Even more when you can make a real life out of it. I'm sure there's many on here would agree that it's something we'd all love to do. It'll always be a dream for most of us though. Repped.

Helped that i was serving in Germany at the time and took the time out to learn to speak fluent German whilst over here as a soldier. It made the decision to stay here a lot easier and i had a well paid job to walk into. pity that job got fucked off when the armed forces decided to cut back. Still had the time to go to a German academy and learn a new trade as an engineer....but had a new hip fitted 3 years ago so that has fucked things up a bit. But the missus earns well so i took over the role as house husband and just work part time now...plus working from home has its advantages. Could be better off money wise if i went full time again but money isn't everything and it is nice to have more time to spend with the kids and our garden.

One thing i will say mate is that i miss the UK, the grass is not always greener on the other side as every country has its problems, i'm lucky to have a family and the friends i do over here, without them i'd be back like a shot.