You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC approach Wigan for martinez

Guest San Don

This is becoming a joke . This behind closed doors search is going well when you have Dave Whelan running to SSN to tell the world the details of our recruitment process. Absolute joke, we are becoming a laughing stock.

I really hope that Martinez is a red herring and they are doing a bigger deal beyond the gazes of the watching world. That's the way our business should be done. I'm reserving judgement on FSG until we see the completion of this summer's work, but at the moment the whole impression they give is one of bumbling confusion and a total lack of plan or strategy. Maybe I'm way off the mark here and maybe they're playing a blinder and leading the media down the wrong path but when you have Dave Whelan giving a running commentary and every manager who we've seemingly approached telling the world they've turned us down, it's all starting to look a bit desperate.

I've nothing against Martinez but he in my opinion is not what we need at this moment. We cannot afford to take a big risk on this appointment and Martinez is exactly that. It smacks of a total lack of ambition and I'm sorry but if these top football people, who Ayre tells us are advising FSG, believe that Roberto Martinez is the stand out candidate then they need fucking off because they are clueless. There is a manager with more pedigree and a better CV than any of those banded about as the supposed front runners sat in his arse now in Caldy. If they're not going to blow football open with a Pep/Mourinho appointment, and are instead challnging Aston Villa for candidates, then I'm sorry but Rafael Benitez trumps all of them hands down.

I hope I am wrong but I am currently of the opinion that If have more faith in Moores and Parry to make this decision than the current board. Like I said, I'm hoping they're about to pull a rabbit out of the hat here but Dave Whelan's Sky sponsored commentary leaves me with feelings of fear and dread.

Well put mate 100% agree ,bet most people do im embarassed to say im a liverpool fan at the moment,im ashamed by the lack of leadership they are showing letting gobshites like whelan get tv time at our expense

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just get this weird feeling that I need to keep going back and checking Martinez's wiki page because I must have missed something obvious?

Maybe he managed a team to a segued Liga title, or was a coach at Betis, or had a three year hiatus at Ajax, just SOMETHING that indicates he's not just a foreign-named version of Mick McCarthy.

But, no, the wiki search always brings up the same facts I saw the first time, a fuxking nobody.

Fucking Fergie bigging him up earlier this month, fuck off, name him as a potential successor to you then eh? Oh, so he's not THAT good then...

Fucking cunt he is, a cunt.

Who the fuck does he think he is?

He couldnt inspire the likes of Rodallega or Ben Watson for most of last season, and now he thinks what? That he's going to be the wind beneath Reinas wings?

What does he think he's brining to the party?

He's a cunt for even trying to manage us, a complete lack of fucking respect, with no understanding of this club and our history.

The only thing that could soothe me would be Rafa backing him, like perhaps he's got hidden talent and...oh forget it, he's a fucking dickhead isn't he. Don't lie to me, be honest, he fucking is.

Martinez will play a 3-4-3??

Wigan stay up after a switch to 3-4-3 | Zonal Marking

Well here is something:

------------------------------------------

Martinez has also shown great ability to vary the shape within games, able to play 4-3-3 or 3-4-3. Emmerson Boyce can play right-wing-back or right-back, Maynor Figueroa can play left-centre-back or left-wing-back, Jean Beausejour can play left-wing-back or left midfield. “At Anfield we played the two separate systems,” says Martinez. “And no-one would have been able to see the difference [in terms of standard of play].”

When asked if he thinks a sweeper should always play behind two other centre-backs in a back three, Martinez says, “If you play against a front two, you can do that. But if you play against a one and a one, then the sweeper plays in front, because obviously you can’t be three-versus-one at the back.”

Individuals have played their part. Moses’ rise into a top-level player has been crucial, Figueroa’s passing ability means he’s almost been like an extra midfielder when needed, and the signing of Jean Beausejour is one of the underrated transfer decisions of the season. He’s a natural crosser, knows this (rough) system well having been a wing-back in Marcelo Bielsa’s Chile side, and has provided more assists than any other Wigan played despite only joining in January.

But the key has been the system, and the manager who implemented it. Amongst more in-depth tactical analysis of the 3-4-3, there’s a lot to be said for simply ‘doing something different’ if you’re a weaker side in a league – give the opposition a new challenge, make them uncomfortable and ideally make them change, as Newcastle were forced to.

“In a year’s time, there will be a lot of teams playing a 3-4-3, believe me,” Martinez says. “And we’ll have to be able to change, to adapt to it. And that is why it’s so important that players are flexible tactically.”

Sounds like a younger Rafa :D

Guest ShoePiss

He couldnt inspire the likes of Rodallega or Ben Watson for most of last season, and now he thinks what? That he's going to be the wind beneath Reinas wings?

He's a cunt for even trying to manage us, a complete lack of fucking respect, with no understanding of this club and our history.

The only thing that could soothe me would be Rafa backing him, like perhaps he's got hidden talent and...oh forget it, he's a fucking dickhead isn't he. Don't lie to me, be honest, he fucking is.

Well I think what happened was FSG asked him to come in for an interview.

Just stop it will you , you are a complete simpleton.

I just get this weird feeling that I need to keep going back and checking Martinez's wiki page because I must have missed something obvious?

Maybe he managed a team to a segued Liga title, or was a coach at Betis, or had a three year hiatus at Ajax, just SOMETHING that indicates he's not just a foreign-named version of Mick McCarthy.

But, no, the wiki search always brings up the same facts I saw the first time, a fuxking nobody.

Fucking Fergie bigging him up earlier this month, fuck off, name him as a potential successor to you then eh? Oh, so he's not THAT good then...

Speaking of the mancs I'm seeing exactly the same sort of stuff wrote about Martinez on there forums as I did about Hodgson, theme being 'He could do a really good job there, be just what they need, I like the bloke can't believe we're going to have to start hating him' patronising? Make of it what you will...

Funneee is one of the best posters on here for me.

In fact, I like a lot of the new posters to be honest. Not for the quality of their posts but for their sheer unpretentiousness. They don't have that nauseating superiority that seems to come from having a golden name or 15000 posts. Also they probably aren't likely to be a part of that gang of thundercunts, the ART crowd or whatever the boring fucks called themselves.

"Hey, Tom."

"Yo, John."

"This soccer."

"Yeh?"

"Who ya' gotta get to kiss y'ass?".

"That Scottisher guy no go?".

"Communist"."

" He plays golf?!".

"Told me to go fuck myself".

"Whoa! Then you need a pussy".

"You seen what sucks me?".

"I'm talking something that you're capable of actually fucking, John".

"I read you. Where do you think I might get something like that?".

(SILENCE FOR A MOMENT)

"Well, I met a guy, sells sweatshirts. He knows a foreign dude.".

Time to start a poll on our heaviest defeat next season if we hire Martinez...

Roberto Martínez era: 2009–present

Wigan appointed Roberto Martínez, then manager of Swansea City, as manager prior to the 2009–10 Premier League.[15] He previously played for Wigan from 1995–2001. On 15 August 2009, Wigan won their opening game of the 2009–10 season, beating Aston Villa away, 2–0 The good form did not continue though, losing the next three games to Wolverhampton Wanderers, Manchester United and Everton before defeating West Ham United at the DW Stadium on 12 September 1–0 to claim three points. The winning run was short-lived, however, with a trip to Arsenal on 19 September ending in a 4–0 defeat. On 26 September Wigan claimed their first three points against a "Big 4" team after beating Chelsea 3–1, with goals from Titus Bramble, Hugo Rodallega and Paul Scharner.

On 22 November 2009, Tottenham Hotspur beat Wigan 9–1 at White Hart Lane, with 8 Tottenham goals coming in the second half.[16] This was the first time a Premier League club had conceded nine goals since Manchester United beat Ipswich 9–0 at Old Trafford in 1995.[16] The defeat was a club record for Wigan in the 31-year existence as a league club.

A late surge that included a 1–0 win over Liverpool and a 3–2 win over Arsenal – the latter of which saw Wigan recover from two goals down with ten minutes remaining to win in injury time – saw the team once more survive relegation. Most notably, having never defeated any of the traditional "Big Four" in the league until their win over Chelsea (and with only one win over any of them in cup competitions), Wigan ended the season having defeated three of them at home. They finished the season with an 8–0 defeat at Chelsea, who clinched the title with the victory.

At the beginning of the 2010–11 season, Wigan lost 4–0 to newly promoted Blackpool at the DW stadium, and a 6–0 thrashing at the DW stadium by Chelsea followed. The next game Wigan beat Tottenham 1–0 at White Hart Lane. Wigan fell to the bottom of the league by the end of February, following a 4–0 defeat to Manchester United.[17] However, despite remaining in the bottom three for the majority of the season, Wigan managed to retain their Premier League status on the last day of the season, defeating Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium thanks to a goal from Hugo Rodallega.[18]

5-0 seems to be the average.

Funneee is one of the best posters on here for me.

In fact, I like a lot of the new posters to be honest. Not for the quality of their posts but for their sheer unpretentiousness. They don't have that nauseating superiority that seems to come from having a golden name or 15000 posts. Also they probably aren't likely to be a part of that gang of thundercunts, the ART crowd or whatever the boring fucks called themselves.

Are you the cunt who supports the Tories? I get you mixed up with another poster. Either way you are one of those sad little people who have to blame posters on an Internet forum for getting Rafa sacked. Get a fucking life.

Just imagine. As disheartening as it will feel to many of us if Martinez is announced as manager, that feeling will multiply one million times over when the announcement is made by Dave Whelan on Sky Sports News. Jesus Christ can you imagine that? Dave fucking Whelan announcing Liverpool's new manager...