You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

Does ANYONE on this forum have a bigger chip on their shoulder than you right now?

Dalglish and Commolli buys straight for the first team:

Carroll - 35 mil

Adam - 7 mil

Downing - 20 mil

Henderson - 16 mil (incl Add ons)

Bellemy - Free

Not British born but from the PL

Enrique - 7mil

Non British born and not in the PL

Suarez - 23mil

Coates - 7mil

Doni - Free

So I'll give you the last two and we'll split the difference on Enrique, okay?

Thats 5.5 from 9

60%

I stand corrected. ALMOST exclusively.

Well, maybe exclusive is a strong word. lets call it a preference.

I didn't misread. It wasn't you that claimed there was a British only policy. I agree there was difinitely a preference for pl league players, not British ones tho, we went after clichy and Enrique. but as the signings of Suarez and Coates proved there was no buy British only policy.

It's a myth that gathered momentum as the wolves started smelling blood last season.

Any aignings that went wrong last season, did so cause they weren't good enough players anyway, nothing to do with their passport.

Henderson, Downing, Adam but to name a few.

Its not a myth; there is at least half dozen articles out there in the world that blame his demise one and only thing; he wanted British Premier League stars.

That was his choice and it backfired.

But it would have been a meaningless point if he managed to bring them together and win. As it transpired, people zeroed in on that fact.

Except neither Doni nor Coates were bought for the first team. Or even the bench in Coates case.

I wondered whether or not I should comment on that. decided not to as BBB might let all hell loose and call me a cunt.

Nothing cuts more that being called one of those on the internets.

Well, maybe exclusive is a strong word. lets call it a preference.

Its as clear cut as that. He wanted it. Perhaps "preference" is indeed a better word for it, but that was our policy at the time.

However with that sentence being said, maybe what was meant to be said was: "The English policy has changed".

Henderson, Downing, Adam but to name a few.

Its not a myth; there is at least half dozen articles out there in the world that blame his demise one and only thing; he wanted British Premier League stars.

That was his choice and it backfired.

But it would have been a meaningless point if he managed to bring them together and win. As it transpired, people zeroed in on that fact.

The problem wasnt buying British, the problem was buying the wrong players.

Alot of ''What if'' Bullshit, BUT...

We could have offered the amount spent on Downing for someone like Adam Johnson (or Theo Walcott, or Aaron Lennon) and the bid might have been accepted? Pool together the amounts spent on Downing and Henderson and we could have met the asking price of Bale. (discounting the lure of CL).

etc.

There are quite a few good players in the PL, we just bought the wrong ones.

The problem wasnt buying British, the problem was buying the wrong players.

Alot of ''What if'' Bullshit, BUT...

We could have offered the amount spent on Downing for someone like Adam Johnson (or Theo Walcott, or Aaron Lennon) and the bid might have been accepted? Pool together the amounts spent on Downing and Henderson and we could have met the asking price of Bale. (discounting the lure of CL).

etc.

There are quite a few good players in the PL, we just bought the wrong ones.

Maybe, but then again nothing may have changed.

Bottom line is, the transfer policy meant that we were limited to player in our own league.

How much was spent on those three players at the time?

Could we have done better if we looked outside our league?

Still can't get over Downing, 20 million dollar player. Downing. 20 million. 20. Million.

Anyway, these threads are shit because we get linked with a star and half the people here will say "No way, he won't come here, he's out of our price range, he'll go to a richer club", then we'll get linked with a young up-and-comer with potential and the other half will say "Fuck off, he must be shit, none of richer clubs want him". Then someone will mention one of our youngsters as an alternative, and almost everyone will say "He's no [insert flavour of the month young wunderkind here] and he'll probably be crap like all our youngsters are because none of them are [insert flavour of the month young wunderkind here] and what's the point of putting our hopes on someone who isn't [insert flavour of the month young wunderkind here]"

And on and on and on and on and on. Then we'll actually sign someone and everyone will say "I hope he goes well" until his first game and the second he misplaces his first pass half of us will say "Told you he was crap".

If this forum was in charge of transfers, we'd buy no-one.

And keep Henderson, just in case he suddenly becomes a player who does things, apparently.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
New Zealand dollars even.

I knew what I meant, even if my fingers didn't.

Zimbabwean dollars. z$20m = £35k

Time will tell, mate. All I am saying is that a young player signing for a massive club like LFC needs more than a year to prove himself - just look at Lucas.

The lad showed potential at points last season, and definitely has great technique, so lets give him a bit more time before slating him. Patience is what's needed here.

Anyway I'm off for dinner, if no one has signed by the time I get back then I will be fucking livid.

see!!!! fucking dinner is at midday and tea is in the evening ! bastards.

I don't care where players are from, as long as they are good. As it happens, most of the players we recently overpaid for were English, but it would be wrong to extrapolate that to the conclusion that we shouldn't buy any more English players.

Having said that, it seems as though the better English players are already at Champions League Premier League clubs and the value to be had is likely in looking further afield.

I don't care where players are from, as long as they are good. As it happens, most of the players we recently overpaid for were English, but it would be wrong to extrapolate that to the conclusion that we shouldn't buy any more English players.

Having said that, it seems as though the better English players are already at Champions League Premier League clubs and the value to be had is likely in looking further afield.

Its a sore subject because the mass media, blog sites, articles and journalist are using it as excuse to beat King Kenny with it.

You are right a shit player is a shit player regardless, but you have admit that the majority of the players we signed were British and came off the back of a good season.

Could be innocent! (probably is)

duncan jenkins ‏@duncanjenkinsFC

what do #lfc fans think of young #germany internationals julian draxler and lewis holtby.

Holtby sounds like a right twat:

"My father was born in England and was a Everton fan since the age of five. He immediately infected me with the Everton virus! Since then I have been a Everton fan and have always followed their games."

Could be innocent! (probably is)

duncan jenkins ‏@duncanjenkinsFC

what do #lfc fans think of young #germany internationals julian draxler and lewis holtby.

Hm,

image.png

"My father was born in England and was a Everton fan since the age of five. He immediately infected me with the Everton virus! Since then I have been a Everton fan and have always followed their games."

Thats that then....

Edited by WhiskeyJar
To add DimReapers Quote...

Right, do not sign that cunt!