You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

really hope we don't sell Carroll, would've understood if we had in january because at that stage I was starting to think his half season at Newcastle was a fluke but he is showing some form again now, just forget the transfer fee, hope he keeps on improving and its another player less to replace

What exactly is there to like about henderson? He seems a bit mentally weak as he's a confidence player it seems. In general i don't like confidence players, prefer mentally strong players that no matter what goes wrong they just keep on trying. Henderson isn't one of those players. Just plays it safe because of it and offers nothing apart from hard work. Not a good defensive midfielder, not good going forward either. He's just there.

I disagree with you there Glen, I think he is quite strong mentally! I don't think he hides, he doesn't shy away from getting involved. He is a shithouse though, and he was shit at right midfield.

But I actually think that he is technically a very good player, and as we have witnessed this summer, playing it safe isn't the worst thing in the world. He isn't a first team player, but I am confident that he can come in and do a job.

I think Gerrard will play a bit deeper this year, and I am not sure how fit Lucas will be. I do think we need another midfielder.

The English shit are finished?

Seems an odd thing to say. Who cares what nationality they are? And if any "English shit" is finished, both Henderson and Downing had far worse seasons than Andy Carroll, so they should be first out of the door.

And Spearing can follow.

I read it as we will no longer do our recruiting exclusively amongst PL clubs for British born players, and hopefully that we're looking to shift some or all of those that you've listed there.

Can we add Adam to that list?

He doesn't hide? He makes Anne Frank look like Kim Kardashian.

Haha, I shouldn't disagree after that comparison! But, I disagree. As with Lucas I think he always shows, but I do agree he doesn't always do much with it and does play it safe.

I read it as we will no longer do our recruiting exclusively amongst PL clubs for British born players, and hopefully that we're looking to shift some or all of those that you've listed there.

Can we add Adam to that list?

Can you tell me when we did do our recruiting exclusively amongst premier league clubs for British born players please?

Haha, I shouldn't disagree after that comparison! But, I disagree. As with Lucas I think he always shows, but I do agree he doesn't always do much with it and does play it safe.

Personally I think the Lucas comparison is spot on when comparing their respective starts at LFC.

Both young players joining a club with extremely high expectations, both showed little sparks of talent in their first season whilst often going missing or playing it safe the majority of the time..One went on to become one of our stand out players (in my opinion) whilst the other one has the potential to do so.

Technically Henderson is very good, whilst some of his passing and vision last season was a sight to behold (seem to remember a great performance against Chelsea last season...?) As has been noted, he often went missing and shit out of tackles but the boy is still ridiculously young so has time to improve. Whenever I hear "Henderson is FUCKING SHIT! WHAT A FUCKING SHIT PLAYER! SELL HIM NOOOOOOOW" I just think about Lucas's first season and have a bit of a chuckle to myself.

Anyway, back onto the topic at hand - Borini...He has an exotic name, knows where the goal is and has a pirate celebration...For those reasons alone I am in.

Was it now.

Did we do our recruiting exclusively with pl clubs for British born players?

You misread.

We did not do our recruiting exclusively with Premier League clubs, but our primary objective was to look up British players first then look outward, internationally.

Again a key feature in Kenny's reign.

An extension to that was to look at seasoned British players in the Premier League that can hit the ground running.

Can you tell me when we did do our recruiting exclusively amongst premier league clubs for British born players please?

There certainly seemed to be a signal that Kenny and The Glorified Scout wanted "Premiership ready" footballers who needed no time for adjustment, ie Premiership players. And then we went out and bought Carroll, Henderson, Adam and Downing, so there would seem to be something in it.

I think the "Premiership" bit was more important than the British bit, though.

I've never really been arsed. Especially after the Keane debacle.

Just buy good players.

I think there is a huge difference in players hiding and players not being able to get involved. I think Babel hid, so did Caroll last season and Downing, but Henderson was at times, just not good enough to stamp his authority on a game and subsequently it passed him by.

I do remember Bolton away, where everyone was absolute gash but he didn't hide, showed for the ball and tried to get involved, that, I would argue was how I view his first season.

Personally I think the Lucas comparison is spot on when comparing their respective starts at LFC.

Both young players joining a club with extremely high expectations, both showed little sparks of talent in their first season whilst often going missing or playing it safe the majority of the time..One went on to become one of our stand out players (in my opinion) whilst the other one has the potential to do so.

Technically Henderson is very good, whilst some of his passing and vision last season was a sight to behold (seem to remember a great performance against Chelsea last season...?) As has been noted, he often went missing and shit out of tackles but the boy is still ridiculously young so has time to improve. Whenever I hear "Henderson is FUCKING SHIT! WHAT A FUCKING SHIT PLAYER! SELL HIM NOOOOOOOW" I just think about Lucas's first season and have a bit of a chuckle to myself.

Anyway, back onto the topic at hand - Borini...He has an exotic name, knows where the goal is and has a pirate celebration...For those reasons alone I am in.

There is only one and only thing that bothers me about Henderson, probably something that will be validated this year,

Does he have the heart to make it here?

Lucas did from the start.

There is only one and only thing that bothers me about Henderson, probably something that will be validated this year,

Does he have the heart to make it here?

Lucas did from the start.

Time will tell, mate. All I am saying is that a young player signing for a massive club like LFC needs more than a year to prove himself - just look at Lucas.

The lad showed potential at points last season, and definitely has great technique, so lets give him a bit more time before slating him. Patience is what's needed here.

Anyway I'm off for dinner, if no one has signed by the time I get back then I will be fucking livid.

You misread.

We did not do our recruiting exclusively with Premier League clubs, but our primary objective was to look up British players first then look outward, internationally.

Again a key feature in Kenny's reign.

An extension to that was to look at seasoned British players in the Premier League that can hit the ground running.

I didn't misread. It wasn't you that claimed there was a British only policy. I agree there was difinitely a preference for pl league players, not British ones tho, we went after clichy and Enrique. but as the signings of Suarez and Coates proved there was no buy British only policy.

It's a myth that gathered momentum as the wolves started smelling blood last season.

Any aignings that went wrong last season, did so cause they weren't good enough players anyway, nothing to do with their passport.

There certainly seemed to be a signal that Kenny and The Glorified Scout wanted "Premiership ready" footballers who needed no time for adjustment, ie Premiership players. And then we went out and bought Carroll, Henderson, Adam and Downing, so there would seem to be something in it.

Just buy good players.

Quite.

I believe Comolli is on record a saying that if we were looking at two players of similar quality and one was based in the premiership, then the balance would be tipped in the prem ones favour.

Just buy good players.

I like that, but I still feel it was one out of the two qualities that we set to look for when scouting for players:

A) English/British

B) Premier League Experience

Was it now.

Did we do our recruiting exclusively with pl clubs for British born players?

Does ANYONE on this forum have a bigger chip on their shoulder than you right now?

Dalglish and Commolli buys straight for the first team:

Carroll - 35 mil

Adam - 7 mil

Downing - 20 mil

Henderson - 16 mil (incl Add ons)

Bellemy - Free

Not British born but from the PL

Enrique - 7mil

Non British born and not in the PL

Suarez - 23mil

Coates - 7mil

Doni - Free

So I'll give you the last two and we'll split the difference on Enrique, okay?

Thats 5.5 from 9

60%

I stand corrected. ALMOST exclusively.

Time will tell, mate. All I am saying is that a young player signing for a massive club like LFC needs more than a year to prove himself - just look at Lucas.

The lad showed potential at points last season, and definitely has great technique, so lets give him a bit more time before slating him. Patience is what's needed here.

Anyway I'm off for dinner, if no one has signed by the time I get back then I will be fucking livid.

Behind you 100% there.

Quite.

I believe Comolli is on record a saying that if we were looking at two players of similar quality and one was based in the premiership, then the balance would be tipped in the prem ones favour.

On the other hand, one cannot deny that it's more than coincidence that £80m of the monies we spent went on Henderson, Carroll, Downing and Adam.

Does ANYONE on this forum have a bigger chip on their shoulder than you right now?

Dalglish and Commolli buys straight for the first team:

Carroll - 35 mil

Adam - 7 mil

Downing - 20 mil

Henderson - 16 mil (incl Add ons)

Bellemy - Free

Not British born but from the PL

Enrique - 7mil

Non British born and not in the PL

Suarez - 23mil

Coates - 7mil

Doni - Free

So I'll give you the last two and we'll split the difference on Enrique, okay?

Thats 5.5 from 9

60%

I stand corrected. ALMOST exclusively.

Except neither Doni nor Coates were bought for the first team. Or even the bench in Coates case.