You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

Sorry mate - that makes no sense whatsoever to me.

How can you say that no one on here knows what our financial position is but then make the claim that there are lots of other clubs that can outbid us?

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. Although nobody knows our financial position, I think it is generally accepted that any one of United, Chelsea Arsenal and City can outbid us, this is before you consider Spurs, Newcastle etc

The first teams mentioned can not only ( possibly) outbid us, but can also offer Champs League football.

Ferguson in the 80's only had 1 team in the same league who could offer what he couldn't, we have 4

Yes thats exactly what I said - do you know what Modicum means?

What exactly is it you are taking issue with in that statement?

The word Modicum doesn't mean comparison. Nor does it mean the same. it means "an amount".

I do.You don't.

Modicum is Latin for "a little". Common usage for modicum is:"1.A small, modest or trifling amount."

You made a mistake- no big deal. You hope Rodgers is going to be a success- we all do.

I just think that it is in Rodgers best interests that expectations are as realistic as possible- he has a big job on his hands.

"A similarity is something that is vaguely similar"

Quality

Say "modicum" again. It's ace.

Thats the way little fella - keep shouting, shout louder and louder, you'll "Win" in the end won't you?

For future reference, if you can't answer a point of mine and then just repeat it with some sort of deflective addendum, I'll ignore it and in my head laugh at you and your attempts at appearing "cleverer than me".

OK?

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. Although nobody knows our financial position, I think it is generally accepted that any one of United, Chelsea Arsenal and City can outbid us, this is before you consider Spurs, Newcastle etc

The first teams mentioned can not only ( possibly) outbid us, but can also offer Champs League football.

Ferguson in the 80's only had 1 team in the same league who could offer what he couldn't, we have 4

The point is that he turned it around and now it's us in the position that Ferguson was in back then. Time, patience (just about) and support helped him to do just that.

Thats the way little fella - keep shouting, shout louder and louder, you'll "Win" in the end won't you?

For future reference, if you can't answer a point of mine and then just repeat it with some sort of deflective addendum, I'll ignore it and in my head laugh at you and your attempts at appearing "cleverer than me".

OK?

I bet you laugh at people "in your head" quite a lot. Although maybe occasionally you do it out loud - maybe on a bus or something - and then wonder what other thoughts and emotions you've externalised. And why nobody wants to sit next to you.

I do.You don't.

Modicum is Latin for "a little". Common usage for modicum is:"1.A small, modest or trifling amount."

You made a mistake- no big deal. You hope Rodgers is going to be a success- we all do.

And where exactly is the mistake in saying both had a modicum of success?

(If you want to get into comparisons - let's say we compare Rodgers elevation and circumstances to Liverpool Manager with another Managers elevation and circumstances to Liverpool Manager, can you think of anyone that would be a good comparison for circumstances? hmmmmm what about a chap called Bill Shankly. Comparing the circumstances of both of these managers is a good thing eh?

As for Ferguson - who was taken to Man Utd to carry out a similar task that rodgers has been brought to Liverpool for (To get both teams back to the top is the similarity) There's no need to compare him with anyone as that isn't and wasn't the point of my initial post.

I just think that it is in Rodgers best interests that expectations are as realistic as possible- he has a big job on his hands.

It's not expectations for Rodgers I'm setting - it's the Expectations for Liverpool football club that I want. Who knows if he'll get us there but I for one am willing to give him time, patience and support to do just that.

That was the point I was making - but I think you knew that.

I bet you laugh at people "in your head" quite a lot. Although maybe occasionally you do it out loud - maybe on a bus or something - and then wonder what other thoughts and emotions you've externalised. And why nobody wants to sit next to you.

Ahhh projection - another defense mechanism. All in the space of a couple of posts I've got you making up little scenario's in your head where you can justify to yourself that, actually - you are cleverer then me after all.

All because you weren't able to admit that the similarities were there (as you admitted) but just didn't want to agree with me. Stick with it fella. Perhaps no one will notice.

The point is that he turned it around and now it's us in the position that Ferguson was in back then.

When Ferguson took over ,Man U they were second only to us in revenues, they took more than us at the gate, we took more than them in prize money.

Chelsea, Arsenal and Man U are ahead of us in revenue, Man City have more to spend because of Mansour and are closing the gap (they may have closed it)on turnover.

The scale of the job facing Rodgers is far greater than fergie faced.

Fucking hell, you're boring.

And what's more, despite it being your favourite word, you don't seem to know what "modicum" actually means.

That comment has just completely blown my "Irony meter" up. (Go on, say Horrenderson again in that utterly witty and funny way you have) it's ACE!

irony_meter_setup.jpg

And where exactly is the mistake in saying both had a modicum of success?

St. Mirren •Scottish First Division (1): 1976–77

Aberdeen •Scottish Premier Division (3): 1979–80, 1983–84, 1984–85

•Scottish Cup (4): 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1985–86

•Scottish League Cup (1): 1985–86

•UEFA Cup Winners' Cup (1): 1982–83

•UEFA Super Cup (1): 1983

= a lot.

Swansea City •Football League Championship Play-Off Winners (1): 2010–11

= a little

I hope that helps.

When Ferguson took over ,Man U they were second only to us in revenues, they took more than us at the gate, we took more than them in prize money.

Chelsea, Arsenal and Man U are ahead of us in revenue, Man City have more to spend because of Mansour and are closing the gap (they may have closed it)on turnover.

The scale of the job facing Rodgers is far greater than fergie faced.

I'm not denying any of that and nor have I at any stage in the thread. I've simply pointed out that similarities exist and that given time and patience with the support of the fans it's entirely possible that we could turn things around. Whining and moaning about a story that appears on "Football vibe" or "Liverpool Kop" is fucking pointless.

I'm not going to get into an argument with you about stats and financials because I like the vast majority of the lads I know in West Derby go the match and watch the team not giving a shite about what the finance department tell the owners and not giving a shite about how many times spearing makes a 10 yard pass to an opposition player other than the fact that he does it FAR TOO MANY TIMES and Rodgers looks like he can see thats a weak point in the team.

= a lot.

= a little

I hope that helps.

Ahahahahaha!

I don't even think the latter qualifies as a "modicum". It's more of a scintilla.

= a lot.

= a little

I hope that helps.

NOW we get into you comparing Swansea with Aberdeen which is not my point. If you MUST compare, compare Aberdeen with Rangers or Celtic of the time and then you get to

= a little.

Although you appear hell bent on getting me drawn into some dull shite about stats and I can tell you now I'm not going there - that isn't the point I'm making. The similarities between the managers is there in my list for all to see. If you want to deny ANY ONE of those then we can have a conversation.

NOW we get into you comparing Swansea with Aberdeen which is not my point. If you MUST compare, compare Aberdeen with Rangers or Celtic of the time and then you get to

= a little.

You wouldn't need to look at Rangers and Celtic's records (which I don't know) from that time to know that it can't possibly be called "a little".