You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Moving to Australia

Thomo123

I was born in Toowoomba. I haven't been back for a long while but you could do a lot worse as far as Qld country towns go. I rember it vaguely as a pleasant place with a mild climate and pretty right wing politically if that matters at all to you.

85 grand a year is a pretty good earn if you're going to be living there...real estate and rents are pretty high in Brisbane but 85K is an above average salary (av, income here is 68K and mean income is about 55K IIRC).

I was actually born at Toowoomba General Hospital but forunately I am unable to remember the event. Just as well too...the sight of my mother's gaping minge may have scarred me for life.

Cheers mate, they have other dealers in Oakey, daley and Chinchilla....I've asked them where I would be based. Having major issues convincing the missus at the minute mind, women!

Cheers mate, they have other dealers in Oakey, daley and Chinchilla....I've asked them where I would be based. Having major issues convincing the missus at the minute mind, women!
Toowoomba would be the pick of the bunch as it's a reasonably big town with plenty of facilities and a rail service to Brisbane., but Oakey and Dalby are pretty close to Toowoomba. Chinchilla is a smallish town and further out.

You will definitely need a vehicle to get around (little, if any public transport) so just as well you'll be working for a Toyota dealer. Toyota utes are pretty popular for good reason. They're very tough trucks as you would know from watching Top Gear. Mine's 20 years old and still going strong.

we've done 4 years in Sydney, moving to brisvegas in january. Have a crack, yer may not get another chance, it's a great place. Yer still get knobheads in hick towns, and arseholes in the big city, but I'm not too sure there's a place in the "developed world" that you can avoid this as it's part of the human condition. Most 'stralians are pretty sound, and enjoy a bit of banter. Scouse humour can float about 12 inches above their heads though, and you will have to get used to being told your scottish or irish - deopending on how strong yer accent is - last week a bum with a dog in a pram, told me to fuck off back to Ireland and followed up with a fuck the IRA chant - now I know how indians feel being told to fuck off back to pakistan.

Plus what kind of a life can you have lived when ye've never won a meat raffle?

And don't listen to the bullshit about "cosmopolitan melbourne" rain isn't cosmopolitan, nor is being league cheats, and where's yer bloody opera house?

au-sydney-opera-house-0001.jpg

TBF Jose, I find the whole melbourne /sydney thing funny as fuck, enjoy the banter over it, born in speke, raised in halewood, they both have a lot to do to beat the comsopolitan culture of my upbringing. Should mean i'll find qld a lot more like home though!

Yeah, its a bit smalltime the Sydney / Melbourne thing. Most people in Sydney know that Melbourne's better anyway, they just don't admit it in the presence of a Melbournian.

I've always thought the Gold Coast bore a striking resemblance to West Kirkby. You should fit right in.

Yeah, its a bit smalltime the Sydney / Melbourne thing. Most people in Sydney know that Melbourne's better anyway, they just don't admit it in the presence of a Melbournian.

I've always thought the Gold Coast bore a striking resemblance to West Kirkby. You should fit right in.

Should anyone spot this lot around west kirby, let me know and I'll be back for a holiday:

meter-maids-image.jpg

Thomo, you still got a decision to make??

Do it mate, you will not regret it. I have lived in sydney for the last 3 years and it has given me everything, The only thing i miss in england is me school mates and going to the match.

I had fuck all going for me in the uk, Now i am doing detailed drafting in an engineering firm, in the uk that wouldn't have happened and i would probably have been on the dole right now if i didn't take the opportunity.

Weather is great, most of the people i have met have been nice although some have been right assholes/arrogant twats etc

Although this is sydney i am talking about, haven't lived anywhere else in oz.

It took me a year to settle in though, after that i met loads of people, good mates and life turns to the better. I know loads of people that couldn't handle the 1st year though, mainly because they decide to live in the massive mansion in the middle of nowhere and they meet zero people there etc

Currently living here on a year-long visa. Obviously my experiences are a little different as I am just here working/partying but I can definitely give you some advise...

Queensland in general is lovely, but a lot of the small towns are full of small-time twunts who are often racist bigots. I was doing fruit picking in various towns and got punched once for being "a pommy cunt" and my mate got mugged and beaten in another town for...guess what...being a "pommy cunt". Both incidences wouldn't have bothered me if we were being drunken idiots but both times we were actually sober and just minding our own business (when my mate got mugged and beaten we even made it onto the local news channel! pretty awesome)

Anyway, you will love it out here. The wages are great, but the cost of living is expensive - a pint costs about $9 on average, for example. Brisbane is a nice city but kinda boring. Aussies in general are very nice but, again, you do get a lot of Aussies who dislike Brits just because it's fashionable to. This doesn't happen too much in the cities though so its not too bad. Saying all that I have met some great people out here so don't let my previous experiences put you off.

I'm currently living in Melbourne and it's a really good city - very cosmopolitan and multicultural. Working as a sales/customer service advisor and am on a fair wedge and I'm only here on a year long holiday visa!

In my opinion you should definitely do it, Britain at the moment is a pretty grim place to be so what is there to lose? If you don't like it then you can always come back.

You're either drinking in the wrong place , or drinking some foreign muck.

It looks like it ain't gonna happen, the missus has point blank refused to go till at least a few months after the baby is born, thus I'm looking around Aug/sept time next yr. I'm fucking gutted tbh but hopefully I'll find something else nearer the time. We are definitely going to go though so any more advice/banter would be greatly appreciated. How many people off the forum actually live over there?

I think you can get a working holiday visa for shite jobs but it only lasts a year I think and you can't get one when you're over 30, far as I know. To get a proper job i.e something you could live off with a family you need to have some skills they want, teaching, electrical etc and you need an employer in tow already I think, don't think you can just go over there and bum around looking for work. The ausies are quite conservative when it comes to these things.

Just go for a year then mate. Test the water and see what its like. You never know what will happen after that. Thats exciting. Get yourself a holiday working Visa and then do it.

There will be plenty of opportunities to stay on over there if you impress and really want to stay, i guarantee it. But if not just come back and then plan another trip.

People go on about Oz being like North Korea or some shit. They look for reasons why something cant be done instead of why something can be done. I know some lad who is about 40 and has just bounced over there.

As one of my mates says "just get on the plane lad".

I'll be moving there in a few years, possibly as soon as 2013. Spent time in my youth in Oz, as has the wife and they'd snap her up with her employment history. Got family there and they've all done pretty spectacularly for themselves from humble backgrounds, and the off licences are just indoor fridges, so I'm sold completely on the idea of emigrating.

I pretty sure it's a year, however if you do some farm work for a few months the visa can be extended for another year.

If you get the chance to get sponsored grab it with both hands though, you will have to stay for 4 years in total, but will be totally worth it.

You don't actually have to stay for the full 4 years of sponsorship dude, just the common business sposnsorship visa 457 lasts for 4 years. There have been some major changes recently on the points test and shit, so anyone who has looked previous to the last 6 months it would be worth rechecking:

What's New? Recent Changes in General Skilled Migration

We came over on 1 year holiday visas, the wife touched lucky and landed a job with full sponsorship in the first month and we've not really looked back. After 2 yrs you can apply for permanent residency, and after 3 you can go for the lobotomy and get an aussie passport, opportunities that opens up are pretty cool. Once you get yer head around the fact yer family and friends are not actually doing anything any differently to all they do when yer normally home, and the footy is on at shite o'clock, it is a great place to live, at least for a while.

In the last fortnight we've seen the kings of Leon, Mercury Rev, Death In Vegas, Mogwai, The Flaming Lips, The Family Stone, Portishead, Eddie Izzard.... we'd never get the time to do half the stuff we do in Liverpool.

btw steve, I hope yer getting LAFHA

Fuck me, a week ago I wouldn't have even looked at this thread. No relevance or interest to me.

Yesterday I got a contract emailed to me and my visa application is underway.

I'm bricking it to be honest.

Three weeks on, one week off. Planning to do the round trip back home once a month.

Greatest. Commute. Ever.

Fuck me, a week ago I wouldn't have even looked at this thread. No relevance or interest to me.

Yesterday I got a contract emailed to me and my visa application is underway.

I'm bricking it to be honest.

Three weeks on, one week off. Planning to do the round trip back home once a month.

Greatest. Commute. Ever.

Back home once a month for a week, fuck me mate rather you than me, just make sure yer stick with one airline and bladder the airmiles. Emirates are fucking sound for Liverpool, they generally touch down in the dirty city around midday on saturday from a fridy evening departure. Plus if yer can get work to sort a credit card for you, citibank do an emirates credit card with 1.5 airmiles for every dollar spent - long as you pay everything off on it before its due, it's a winner for upgrades and shit.

Cheers Arthur, good point about the airmiles.

It's going to be Perth/Cork for me, so I'll have connecting flights into the equation (might see if I can use Emirates and fit in the odd home game on route).

Fact is though a round trip flight works out cheaper than a month's rent in Perth for a flat that I'd only use one week in four. Add in I've got Mrs MM and the junior MMs staying at home and needing regular inspections to keep them on their toes.

And I just fucking love airports and flying. Just really really love that shit.

Might have to give up the fags again though.