You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So did anyone catch any of the day/night Test?  Despite it only going for 3 days, it could only be considered a pretty big success. A few points though: 

- The pitch had a decent amount of grass left on it, so combined with the always-lush Adelaide Oval outfield, meant the ball didn't scuff up to the point where visibility could be an issue. Each innings of the game being relatively short also assisted with this (no team needed a 2nd new ball)

- The ball definitely did more in the night session, both through the air and off the pitch. Admittedly, with bowlers like Starc, Southee and Boult being the ideal type to exploit such conditions, it made for tighter batting at night. It absolutely adds another element to the game though, in terms of declarations, etc. 

- It was a genuinely good contest between bat and ball again, which was definitely not the case in the first two Tests of the summer here. But for a DRS shocker (surprise surprise), the result may well have been reversed. 

Could this be trialed in England within the next 12-18 months? 

Any good bowlers?

Well, obviously it's quite difficult to say conclusively as bowling in India is quite different to elsewhere but all of their attack have bowled well in this series. The two spinners Ashwin and Jadeja have got the bulk of the wickets, and I think they're a good balance in tandem (turning it both ways, and lots of variation in flight and bounce). Yadav I've always felt will become a good bowler, and even Sharma seems more focused now. Less faux anger and a lot more control.

143 all out from 143 overs.

Amla 25 from 244 balls. De Villiers 43 from 297.

Ashwin 49 overs 5/61. Jadeja 46 overs 2/26!

It's basically been India v De Villiers all series. They've really missed Steyn here. Morkel has been, predictably, completely ineffective on these pitches.

• 2 weeks later...

Rumours are that McCullum will retire from international cricket after the Aus series in Feb. Williamson to take over as captain

It'd make sense. Retire after a pretty big home series against the 'local' rival. That said, he'd be doing it at 34 while he still has a few good years left in him to enjoy the domestic T20 circuit and the riches that come with it. To be honest, I've got no problem with veterans who have paid their dues to the game to go a little earlier to cash in on the name they themselves worked hard to establish. It's the way it should be done. And he will make a fucking packet, as his batting suits the game perfectly and he is still brilliant in the field. 

Edit: I just noticed he is sitting on 99 Tests, so he will bring up the ton in this upcoming series against Australia. Nice way to go. 

• Upvote 1

Anderson out for the first test is a big blow as I reckon the SA batting attack is pretty weak at the moment, relative to last years anyway.

I think this series will be a close matchup, much of it depending on whether England can put together a competent batting performance together.