You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Pistonbroke

Only a South African could come in and play with the arrogance Jennings did on his debut!

Jennings was Durhams best batsman by a mile last season. I thought he wasn't even illegible to play for England tbh being as he was born in SA: England have pulled off another good shout getting him to play for them. 

Guest Pistonbroke

288/5 at stumps. Despite the loss of those 3 late wickets it has been a decent day for England. Should get between 350-400 from here, maybe more. 

Jennings was Durhams best batsman by a mile last season. I thought he wasn't even illegible to play for England tbh being as he was born in SA: England have pulled off another good shout getting him to play for them. 

His mum is from Sunderland I believe.

There were moments in the last hour where Buttler looked like he was playing a different sport altogether. Did well to make it to the end of the day, hopefully it settles him down.

If we can get 350+ then that looks decent, just hope it isn't a pitch that dies on day 2 and 3.

He obviously performed very well today, but I don't think he should be allowed anywhere near the England cricket team, I thought the same about Pietersen and Trott too. I can accept Strauss and Prior playing for England playing even though they were born in South Africa, they moved here as children and learned and developed their game here, but Jennings, Pietersen and Trott all grew up and learned their trade in South Africa and moved here as adults.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

He obviously performed very well today, but I don't think he should be allowed anywhere near the England cricket team, I thought the same about Pietersen and Trott too. I cam accept Strauss and Prior playing for England playing for England even though they were born in South Africa, they moved here as children and learned and developed their game here, but Jennings, Pietersen and Trott all grew up and learned their trade in South Africa and moved here as adults.

I agree to a certain extent, but all nations are cashing in on the rules so why shouldn't we. Jennings is only 24 and he has played nearly 5 seasons for Durham whilst only playing 1 season in SA. 

If Jennings' mum is English then there's no issue and he shouldn't have to go through a qualifying period. He wouldn't have to in f*******.

Anyway, I'm off to the ground now. Late start today after a few beers last night. Hopefully we can get up to 400 and beyond but I won't hold my breath.

• Upvote 1

I think although it is disappointing that England have very little spinning threat and India have far better spinners.

But India at home is the toughest place to go to at the moment.  They are world number 1 and not because of their away form.

In the 16 Tests since they lost to England at home, they have won 14 of them, 1 dull draw and 1 wash out.

Away from home in that time they have 8 losses, 6 draws and 3 wins - two of which were in Sri Lanka.

They smashed the Aussies 4-0, beat South African 3-0, West Indies 2-0, 3-0 to New Zealand. 

Most of those victories were dominant and England really have done better than all the other nations, as we could have won the first Test and are still in with a chance in this one (although I wouldn't bet on it).

If England had Swann I think we'd be drawing this series at the moment.  England have to find a top class spinner if they want to dominate in all parts of the world.  Otherwise they'll be relying on seamer friendly conditions.

But most teams are dominant at home in cricket at the moment, no side is dominating in all conditions.

Guest Pistonbroke

India are going to get a lead here. Cook went off before Tea and Root was standing in, brought himself into the attack and took two wickets. Cook back on the field after Tea and no sign of Root with the ball.