You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Evra accuses Suarez of racism

NickConklin

Been to the Wigan game tonight. Luis got dogs abuse from the crowd who were chanting "Racist" at him and booing his every touch. When he came off he looked distressed. In my opinion he is finished in English football. Even if he wins his appeal-and it's a big IF - he will continue to be abused wherever he goes. Sad to say but I think the only way out for him and his lovely family is to quit England. May be too soon to move in January but I can forsee a move being arranged for him in the summer transfer window. As fans and club we should let him go with his pride and dignity intact at this club and let him live his life away from the morons of the FA, British press and gobshite fans of other clubs. In the meantime we should offer him and his family as much love and protection as is humanly possible.

Viv Anderson, the first black player to represent England, also commented on Suarez's punishment.

He told BBC North West Tonight: "If somebody said something that, in their culture isn't as bad as we take it to be, you have to allow for that."

Thank you Viv Anderson. The complete lack of consideration given to that has been the worst part of it, and is more ethically unsavoury than the apparent comment itself. It betrays a xenophobia that rarely bubbles more than a millimetre under the surface of the English. I think that Anderson has been extremely bold by going against the grain and actually making an effort to be culturally aware.

It would have been great if the FA had acted upon that by making that clear to Suarez - They could have issued a 16 game suspended ban and said "this is what we expect, this is what is and isn't acceptable and any more racially incendiary language will see the ban triggered". They could have used it as an educational experience for the game in general, perhaps started an information campaign for incoming players assisted by Suarez, but no. They decided to pander to the faux-moralisers who tut tut and then go back to calling Graham Norton a poof.

Don't suppose anyone heard 5Live before the match tonight?

They were discussing our players wearing shirts in support of Suarez.

Basically, it was met with disgust from the panel. They predictably had Jason Roberts on who was going mad, saying that the club are basically condoning racism and telling everyone just how sorry he feels for Evra.

But most disappointingly Lawro to spoke out against the decision, saying how there may be players in our dressing room who feel uneasy about doing this as they may think he's guilty, and they're basically being bullied in to conforming.

They all totally failed to recognise that the only reason we would be wearing these shirts and supporting Luis is because the club are 100% against his charge of racism and believe it to be untrue. To them, the FA judgement was gospel and they were commending them on making a statement.

Fuck off Lawro you thatched roof headed cunt.

Viv Anderson, the first black player to represent England, also commented on Suarez's punishment.

He told BBC North West Tonight: "If somebody said something that, in their culture isn't as bad as we take it to be, you have to allow for that."

Clough had a dinner party story that Anderson once offered his hand in sympathy after the 78 league cup final replay only for "a Liverpool player" to say "fuck off nigger".

Which an honest, pro-Justice Forest fan told me.

If true, Anderson has shown some magnanimity there.

You don't "allow" for it, you give the person a second chance and that's what is so bastardly unfair about this.

DannyFullbrook Danny Fullbrook

The liverpool players got exactly what they deserved for their ridiculous statement supporting a racist. #LFC

Some cunt from the Daily Star,

Just tweeted this back to him

@DannyFullbrook The Daily fucking Star, I've had shits with a higher IQ than your readership you brainless twat

Don't suppose anyone heard 5Live before the match tonight?

They were discussing our players wearing shirts in support of Suarez.

Basically, it was met with disgust from the panel. They predictably had Jason Roberts on who was going mad, saying that the club are basically condoning racism and telling everyone just how sorry he feels for Evra.

But most disappointingly Lawro to spoke out against the decision, saying how there may be players in our dressing room who feel uneasy about doing this as they may think he's guilty, and they're basically being bullied in to conforming.

They all totally failed to recognise that the only reason we would be wearing these shirts and supporting Luis is because the club are 100% against his charge of racism and believe it to be untrue. To them, the FA judgement was gospel and they were commending them on making a statement.

Fuck off Lawro you thatched roof headed cunt.

I was at the game tonight, Randy and listened to 5live. I felt the same as you.

I do think that we have to be very careful how this plays to a wider audience, and the failure by the club to secure a simultaneous release of verdict and adjudication looks like another failure by our legal team.

At the game, everyone was asking the same question, "How could we possibly have lost this case?"

I think that it is about time that Ayres provided us with some answers.

Edited by xerxes

I was at the game tonight, Randy and listened to 5live. I felt the same as you.

I do think that we have to be very careful how this plays to a wider audience, and the failure by the club to secure a simultaneous release of verdict and adjudication looks like another failure by our legal team.

At the game, everyone was asking he same question, "How could we possibly have lost this case?"

I think that it is about time that Ayres provided us with some answers.

Agreed. This is big now, big enough to warrant some kind of public statement from the owners and senior members from this club. I'd like to see some kind of statement made by Henry, Ayre and Werner now, we need to win the PR battle as much as anything here.

One positive to come from this is I don’t think Suarez will ever leave Liverpool until he’s past it and returns to Uruguay. The love and support we’ve shown him and by we’ve I mean the fans, players, staff and anybody associated with Liverpool Football Club will create a bond between both Suarez and our club.

I hope we wear the t-shirts every fucking game, even when the FA tell us to wear their "kick racism out of football" or "respect campaign" t-shirts. They will only fine us for not complying so fuck them, change our captains armband as well from the usual “respect the ref C” to a big number 7.

Lawrenson is quite clearly a tool. Personally, I think he deliberately goes too far in the other direction for fear of appearing biased towards us and so looks to play devil's advocate. Unfortunately, he doesn't possess the intelligence to pull it off credibly and ends up looking like a complete tit when it comes to significant matters such as this and Hillsborough, compared to something trivial as to whether or not Pepe Reina is the best keeper in the League.

I do just wish that somebody in the media would raise the question as to whether the opinion of three men in a kangaroo court preciding over a 'his word v his word' case really makes somebody a racist. Christ, it's not the same as being tried and found guilty at the Old Bailey is it?

People really need to engage their brains here, rather than see the word 'racist' and instinctively start foaming at the mouth.

Fair play to Viv Anderson, by the way, for at least using the mental capacity with which he's been blessed.

Agreed. This is big now, big enough to warrant some kind of public statement from the owners and senior members from this club. I'd like to see some kind of statement made by Henry, Ayre and Werner now, we need to win the PR battle as much as anything here.

Without the FA adjudication all of us are fighting blind to some extent. But there is one aspect of this which bothers me.

The suggestion is that no-one heard what Luis said, other than Evra. There are no third party testimonies. A football game lasts for ninety minutes, verbal s and banter, particularly between forwards and defenders are par for the course. Many of us on here play/have played the game. Could you remember, verbatim, everything that you said on the pitch over an hour and a half?

Presumably, Luis had to make a statement. Has the Club allowed him to make a statement in which he has inadvertently condemned himself without having it authorised by our legal team? Have we allowed a non native English speaker to compound on pitch linguistic misunderstandings with a written statement, the consequences of which he may equally ,have misunderstood? Were the FA in effect presented with a “confession”?

If so, the mood of the fans, and the target of our anger, may shift. Did the Club not try to get the verdict and adjudication released simultaneously because it suited them to put the FA in the frame?

In the words of everyone at the Liverpool end tonight “How the F*** could we have lost that case?”

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I sweat that people don't actually know what 'racism' means anymore. People are calling Alan Hansen a 'racist' on twitter, because he said 'coloured'. It's obviously contentious word, but it's not racist when used in the context he used it in.

I've been an activist against racism for pretty much my entire adult life, and I actually think calling people racist for using 1980s terminology (which was then meant as a kind expression back then) is damaging to the cause.

I sweat that people don't actually know what 'racism' means anymore. People are calling Alan Hansen a 'racist' on twitter, because he said 'coloured'. It's obviously contentious word, but it's not racist when used in the context he used it in.

I've been an activist against racism for pretty much my entire adult life, and I actually think calling people racist for using 1980s terminology (which was then meant as a kind expression back then) is damaging to the cause.

A good post.

Luis has not been called a racist by the FA. It appears that the offence may have been to use language which is racist, which is something quite different.That is why the Daily Mirror headline was so offensive.

It trivialises racism entirely.

A lot of people do not want to look in the mirror, so they'll seize upon any infraction in order to make themselves feel better. Daily Mail readers and so forth. It brings to mind far-right American politicians who end up getting caught with their pants down in the gent's.

Suarez has been found 'guilty' by what was basically a kangaroo court who were going to nail our player no matter what defence he proffered. Despite the fact that an appeal, and, perhaps, a trawl through the civil court, could achieve a reversal of the original verdict certain members of the game's cognoscenti have already given Luis pariah status.

The Liverpool players know the truth and that is why they are supporting Suarez. Carlisle, Lawrenson, Blissett and others of the outraged pack know as much as we do - and that is fuck all!

Guest San Don
Without the FA adjudication all of us are fighting blind to some extent. But there is one aspect of this which bothers me.

The suggestion is that no-one heard what Luis said, other than Evra. There are no third party testimonies. A football game lasts for ninety minutes, verbal s and banter, particularly between forwards and defenders are par for the course. Many of us on here play/have played the game. Could you remember, verbatim, everything that you said on the pitch over an hour and a half?

Presumably, Luis had to make a statement. Has the Club allowed him to make a statement in which he has inadvertently condemned himself without having it authorised by our legal team? Have we allowed a non native English speaker to compound on pitch linguistic misunderstandings with a written statement, the consequences of which he may equally ,have misunderstood? Were the FA in effect presented with a “confession”?

If so, the mood of the fans, and the target of our anger, may shift. Did the Club not try to get the verdict and adjudication released simultaneously because it suited them to put the FA in the frame?

In the words of everyone at the Liverpool end tonight “How the F*** could we have lost that case?”

How the fuck could we have lost that case?

Because it was a kangaroo jury with an FA agenda, you fucking dullard!