You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ferguson warns fans over Hillsborough chants as United prepare for Anfield cauldron

stesle

Alex Ferguson tells Manchester United fans to stop Hillsborough chants | Mail Online

Although he accepts an intense atmosphere is inevitable between the clubs who represent the biggest two cities in north-west England, Ferguson feels more should be acknowledged in a past during which the pair have won 37 titles between them, rather than the twin tragedies of Munich and Hillsborough, which have been the subject of so much venom down the years.

'I have always considered this to be the game of the season in English football,' said Ferguson. 'It's never going to change. Both clubs need each other. Both clubs' history should be appreciated by each other's sets of fans.

'It is annoying when I hear silly chants about Munich and Hillsborough. It doesn't do either club any good and if it came to a stage where fans were banned from each other's ground it wouldn't be the same game.

'Things may change in the next two or three years with Manchester City and whether or not the derby can equal a Manchester United game against Liverpool. But at the moment it remains the biggest.

'The history of both clubs should be respected. Hopefully we can see that because it's fantastic for fans to see these games - the rivalry, great footballers, the intensity.'

Edited by stesle

Can't disagree with any of that.

Heard it at Old Toilet and in the Anfield Road end back in 2006 I think. Never heard the kop chant it though.

There's no point denying that we have a mong element to our support just as every club does. Quicker the majority of us show contempt for it the better.

Can't disagree with any of that.

Heard it at Old Toilet and in the Anfield Road end back in 2006 I think. Never heard the kop chant it though.

There's no point denying that we have a mong element to our support just as every club does. Quicker the majority of us show contempt for it the better.

Bits in bold usually go together

Very predictable that people would instantly say they've never heard Munich chants - I don't know what not hearing them on the Kop has to with anything (And for the record, I've not heard Munich 'chants' on the Kop either but I've certainly heard them on enough occasions for it to be more than a couple of idiots).

He's right about everything in what he's said though, the baconfacedoldcunt.

I only go a couple of away games these days but there were Munich chants on the concourse at Wigan last season. Admittedly it's usually only a small pocket of lizzards though. No need for it on either side though.

On a side note it's funny how they consider us to be their biggest game of the season yet our biggest game is still against the blue shite.

I get sick to my stomach that people find pleasure in chanting others people death and misery. Specially when it should be at a happy moment like a football match.

And about the biggest game, i would think that most or all people outside of Liverpool think that the match against the scum is the biggest of the year.