You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

Anyone with a brain knew it then.

Nah. I was happy to see Hodgson come in at the time because I thought he could galvanise the group as he did at Fulham. We looked lost at the time and Rafa was busy playing off the owners against each other. I wanted a stable hand at the wheel who might just put a cup run together (I never expected him to be a great LFC manager, just thought he'd be a fit while the club got itself sorted), I didn't get what I wanted.

Happy to admit I was wrong about him - the absolute cunt that he turned out to be - but anyone who suggests they knew that about him beforehand is lying. They may have thought he would be nothing short of mediocrity (I wanted Pellegrini more btw, but he had the same "what's he ever won" discussion dogging him, which is always pretty reductive and pointless regardless who its about) but a snide, horrible, oblivious loon who would drive us to the point where relegation was a real possibility within six months... not having that.

• Upvote 1

Nah. I was happy to see Hodgson come in at the time because I thought he could galvanise the group as he did at Fulham. We looked lost at the time and Rafa was busy playing off the owners against each other. I wanted a stable hand at the wheel who might just put a cup run together (I never expected him to be a great LFC manager, just thought he'd be a fit while the club got itself sorted), I didn't get what I wanted.

Happy to admit I was wrong about him - the absolute cunt that he turned out to be - but anyone who suggests they knew that about him beforehand is lying. They may have thought he would be nothing short of mediocrity (I wanted Pellegrini more btw, but he had the same "what's he ever won" discussion dogging him, which is always pretty reductive and pointless regardless who its about) but a snide, horrible, oblivious loon who would drive us to the point where relegation was a real possibility within six months... not having that.

This and embarrassed that I was so wrong about him 

Check out the patsy thread.

Plenty knew he would be a disaster.

• Upvote 6

Decent article by Bascombe. England and the FA do think of footballers as their own property when they do fuck all in terms of their development, or recuperation from injury. Oh, and salary. All of these things they conveniently leave to the clubs to deal with.

For me there is a difference between the Times and the News of the World. I always considered the latter to be part of the Sun (the Sun on Sunday) and therefore indefensible whilst the Times appears to be a separate organisation. For me anyway, I rank the Times alongside Sky as being part of a group owned by a repulsive figure but not necessarily covered by my feelings on Hillsborough. I do, however have respect for anyone who believes that the Times should be part of the boycott and wouldn't tell them they are wrong

On Bascombe, I generally just don't rate him as a journalist but that article above makes a lot of valid points

Only by complete loons.

Fair play for admitting you wanted Hodgson though, Pidge.

For me there is a difference between the Times and the News of the World. I always considered the latter to be part of the Sun (the Sun on Sunday) and therefore indefensible whilst the Times appears to be a separate organisation. For me anyway, I rank the Times alongside Sky as being part of a group owned by a repulsive figure but not necessarily covered by my feelings on Hillsborough. I do, however have respect for anyone who believes that the Times should be part of the boycott and wouldn't tell them they are wrong

On Bascombe, I generally just don't rate him as a journalist but that article above makes a lot of valid points

I think people use that as a convenient means to bash Bascombe while still enjoying Sky TV. As Bascombe pointed out in his email to fans, the News of the World was a separate editorial setup, completely insulated from the S*n, it was a garbage, trashy paper in its own right and - like you - I'd have no problem with people boycotting it, but in my opinion there were always some serious double standards at play. The issue is either just the S*n, or it's News International, it doesn't seem fair that Bascombe is hounded but Barrett isn't purely because, let's face it, one is a broadsheet and one is a red top. Both are quality journalists just trying to make a living, neither of whom work for the S*n.

For what it's worth. In my opinion the S*n is solely at fault because it was its editor - known scumbag McKenzie - who set its editorial policy and pressed ahead with the story. Murdock of course shares some of the blame, but in newspapers the editor is king - that's why they're legally responsible for what they print, many an editor has gone to prison for stories they themselves did not write because they gave it the okay.

Only by complete loons.

Fair play for admitting you wanted Hodgson though, Pidge.

Agreed 

There was a wish list of top level managers I wanted, but couldn't see happening in the midst of the power struggle. Then a pretty sparse list of guys who I felt could do a job. Hodgson was one of the latter and failed miserably to live up to the meagre billing.

I went mental when he was linked with us and got negged into oblivion for it. Lots knew he'd be a disaster.

• Upvote 3

I think people use that as a convenient means to bash Bascombe while still enjoying Sky TV. As Bascombe pointed out in his email to fans, the News of the World was a separate editorial setup, completely insulated from the S*n, it was a garbage, trashy paper in its own right and - like you - I'd have no problem with people boycotting it, but in my opinion there were always some serious double standards at play. The issue is either just the S*n, or it's News International, it doesn't seem fair that Bascombe is hounded but Barrett isn't purely because, let's face it, one is a broadsheet and one is a red top. Both are quality journalists just trying to make a living, neither of whom work for the S*n.

For what it's worth. In my opinion the S*n is solely at fault because it was its editor - known scumbag McKenzie - who set its editorial policy and pressed ahead with the story. Murdock of course shares some of the blame, but in newspapers the editor is king - that's why they're legally responsible for what they print, many an editor has gone to prison for stories they themselves did not write because they gave it the okay.

I don't give my money to any Murdoch enterprise as the man is vermin and that includes Sky, Times etc. I consider the Times to be a bit right wing but otherwise a great and venerable newspaper. Sky, as far as i can see, is 90% shite and expensive but their sport is brilliant so that's a shame

The NotW was, in my opinion, the Sunday Sun and a filthy and despicable rag

The article above by Bascombe was spot on but he lost me when he started his vendetta/campaign against Rafa and one of his key components was going on about how great the Owl Cunt would be as our new manager compared to Rafa

The fickleness of Her Majesty's Press always makes me chuckle...do they think their readers have no memory or do they just not care? 

• Upvote 4

I didnt actually want Hodgson but I knew that whoever took the job at the time wouldnt last long so in hindsight Hodgson may have been the fitting choice.

I got my choice when Kenny came back and rejuvenated the club and still feel he deserved better when he was sacked.

Kenny has still won more than Rodgers,in his second stint.

• Upvote 1

Tomorrow's press conference......

"It amazes me that when you make a statement of such obvious veracity people want to make headlines out of it. Everyone is saying what I am saying. I hope I am honest and I hope people with Scouse accents are honest. I didn't realise I had been accused of criticising them; I don't normally criticise people with Scouse accents and I'm sorry if that has been suggested."

Good work Anubis...

Actual quotes: "I'm disappointed with the headlines but fortunately I've got a guy alongside me who knows it was not about him or anyone from Liverpool. I have apologised to him for the headline but he was so gracious he did not want the apology."

Rooney head is so far up the owls arse that the owl brushes shreks wig when he cleans his teeth.

Sitting there chuckling about his comments about how he and people from his city speak.

I suppose we shouldn't be surprised this is a lad who left his boyhood team and city to go and play for the Mancs.

• Upvote 1

Has he mentioned how he plans to contain the formidable might of San Marino's posties and waiters XI?

He's come up with a novel slant on the reducing expectations theme, saying that the performance is more important than how many goals England score:-

"It's about performance," Hodgson said.

"At no time in my talks with the players have we mentioned the number of goals scored."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/england/29544165