You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Onions

Elite

I worked in a laboratory in Stanlow once that had a mini furnace at 1100 deg C. We used to buy cheese and onion butties from the canteen and slide them in the furnace for a couple of seconds. Toasted to perfection, food of the gods.

Now I would like to do the same, experimenting with different types of onions and varieties of cheese.

2 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

I worked in a laboratory in Stanlow once that had a mini furnace at 1100 deg C. We used to buy cheese and onion butties from the canteen and slide them in the furnace for a couple of seconds. Toasted to perfection, food of the gods.

Now I would like to do the same, experimenting with different types of onions and varieties of cheese.

Cheese and onions are one of the better efforts the culinary world has provided for us all. I'm not much for vegetarianism but if I had too I could eat some form of that on a daily basis and never feel unsatisfied. Mushrooms are great also but depending on the variety and how one wants to use them they might need to be sweated before they're incorporated. I've seen many a sauce turned into a watery piece of piss because the cook decided to throw raw mushrooms in it rather than pre-cook them a bit and let that excess moisture out.

1 hour ago, polymerpunkah said:

Had a cheeseburger last night.

The best part was the extra bit of cheese I sliced immediately after slicing the onion. Perfect combination of the two flavours.

Did you saute the onions then melt the cheese slices over them before topping the burger??

The smell of beef and onions frying together is one of the finest aromas known to man. Pork and leek were made to go together. Onion gravy is a wonder of the world. 

I'm trying to imagine an onion-free spag bol, or a hot dog without onions. I'm envisaging a world in which I do not wish to exist. 

And of course,

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Did you saute the onions then melt the cheese slices over them before topping the burger??

No. I used to, but i decided I prefer uncooked onions.

I put the cheese on the pattie in the covered pan to melt it, and saute mushrooms and put them on top of the melted cheese at the construction stage.

1 minute ago, rubble-rouser said:

The smell of beef and onions frying together is one of the finest aromas known to man. Pork and leek were made to go together. Onion gravy is a wonder of the world. 

I'm trying to imagine an onion-free spag bol, or a hot dog without onions. I'm envisaging a world in which I do not wish to exist. 

And of course,

I always use onions in a bolognese but to be honest I don't think they add much. Certainly not as much as a red pepper or the mushrooms. I'm not suggesting wither are a better thing than an onion but with a bolognese or a lasagne they just don't play a massive role. Like the Jordan Henderson of the sauce. 

On the flip side though use them on a hotdog or a burger, or caramelised on top of a steak then yeah they come into their own. 

Its a tough gig being an onion. 

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

I always use onions in a bolognese but to be honest I don't think they add much. Certainly not as much as a red pepper or the mushrooms. I'm not suggesting wither are a better thing than an onion but with a bolognese or a lasagne they just don't play a massive role. Like the Jordan Henderson of the sauce. 

On the flip side though use them on a hotdog or a burger, or caramelised on top of a steak then yeah they come into their own. 

Its a tough gig being an onion. 

The entire basis of the sauce. Especially in a traditional Sofrito. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, rubble-rouser said:

The entire basis of the sauce. Especially in a traditional Sofrito. 

No chance is it. Plus you need to use Red Onions if bothering with a Sofrito. Red onions are for cunts. This is new to me as I always used to get them but you can't beat a solid white onion. Actually Shallots taste better but whose has the time to fuck about peeling 6/7 of them? 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

No chance is it. Plus you need to use Red Onions if bothering with a Sofrito. Red onions are for cunts. This is new to me as I always used to get them but you can't beat a solid white onion. Actually Shallots taste better but whose has the time to fuck about peeling 6/7 of them? 

I just like onions. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Pay  fuckin  Dough 

That's what you are ya simp.

In order

Spanish

Vidalia

Red 

Shallot

Scallion

Onion Grass

Leftover of any of the above

White

Racist bastard

14 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

And of course,

Repped a couple of your onion loving posts but had to neg this for “spag bol”. Bolognese needs to be served with tagliatelle.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tony Moanero said:

Repped a couple of your onion loving posts but had to neg this for “spag bol”. Bolognese needs to be served with tagliatelle.

Baffles me in Italy that their bolognese is always dry. I like mine wet, loads of sauce. 

10 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I'll eat Bolognese with most pastas. I do agree that it tends to work better with the wider, flatter varieties. 'Spag bol' was very much careless shorthand in this instance. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Baffles me in Italy that their bolognese is always dry. I like mine wet, loads of sauce. 

Its not a tomato sauce, its a meat sauce -- loosen bolognese up wit a bit of the pasta water and a couple chunks of butter.

You are looking for a Sunday gravy.