You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Carson Yeung knows that Joe Lim fella?

Leicester City happen to have Thai owners, and that deal is a bit unclear, simply because Sven has a track record of joining clubs with dubious owners. Sergio Cragnotti at Lazio, Thaksin Shinawatra at Man City, whoever it was that bought Notts County, and now this lot. Although there seems to be evidence of a long term commitment with King Power sponsoring the shirts and the stadium.

Still, things have gone pear-shaped at Birmingham ever since they won the Carling Cup. A bit like what happened to Portsmouth not long after winning the FA Cup.

Birmingham chairman warns of 'unpopular decisions' in survival battle | Football | guardian.co.uk

Birmingham chairman warns of 'unpopular decisions' in survival battle• Peter Pannu raises spectre of more player sales

• Birmingham finances threatened by Carson Yeung arrest

Share reddit this Tom Davies guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 27 July 2011 00.02 BST Article history

Carson Yeung's arrest has increased Birmingham's financial worries. Photograph: Jason Lee / Reuters/Reuters

Birmingham City's acting chairman, Peter Pannu, has admitted that the club might have to sell more players in order to survive.

The club's financial stability has been in doubt since their controlling shareholder, Carson Yeung, was arrested in Hong Kong last month and charged with five counts of money laundering, which he denies. Shares in the club's holding company have been suspended.

Pannu has warned supporters that the newly-relegated Championship club will have to make tough decisions. Speaking to the Daily Mirror from Hong Kong, he said: "Upon my return I may have to make some unpopular decisions and I hope the fans will understand that I effectively don't have a choice.

"The club may need to do what is right and to buy time until Carson's assets are dislodged from the clutches of the courts in Hong Kong." Ben Foster, Liam Ridgewell, Scott Dann and Cameron Jerome are among the players attracting interest from other clubs.

Pannu said he was hopeful Birmingham International Holdings Limited would soon be able to meet the demands of its bankers, HSBC, and that trading in shares would resume, but could not offer guarantees of how the club would continue to fund itself in the meantime or attract new investors.

"I hope BIHL's board can satisfy the bank's queries as soon as possible," he said. "An update to the fans is long overdue and it is just fair they hear the latest developments from me now. But I am not aware of their plans as to how they propose to fulfil the financial distress posed by the relegation scenario and the freezing of Carson's assets in Hong Kong.

"Carson had been trying hard to find new investors but the money laundering charges understandably meant that the progress had been slow. I understand that there is one interested party and they are working on it."

Guest davelfc

If it happens (we get Europa) then I'm going to look at the positives. We have some young players that it will be great for, it's also a competition I feel we would have won with Suarez in last season.

I know it means distractions and a lack of Saturday kick offs but there's plenty of teams who do not have this and they still struggle in the league.

However as the competition has already started wouldn't they just carry on without replacing them?