You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Granny shagger gets two game ban

robslappa

BBC Sport - Wayne Rooney faces two-match FA suspension for swearing

Wayne Rooney faces a two-match ban from the Football Association for using offensive language during Manchester United's 4-2 win at West Ham.

The United striker swore into a pitchside camera after completing his hat-trick at Upton Park.

The England international has until 1800 BST on Tuesday to launch an appeal against the FA charge.

If he accepts it, he will receive a two-match ban - if he denies the charge a hearing will take place on Wednesday.

A one-match ban would see Rooney miss Saturday's home match with Fulham, while a a two-match suspension would rule him out of the FA Cup semi-final against Manchester City at Wembley on 16 April.

Rooney quickly apologised for his actions after the victory which moved Manchester United seven points clear at the top of the Premier League.

The 25-year-old was influential in earning the three points for the Red Devils as he grabbed his three goals in 14 minutes to help his side recover from 2-0 down.

In a statement released by United on Saturday, the striker said: "I want to apologise for any offence that may have been caused by my goal celebration, especially any parents or children that were watching.

"Emotions were running high, and on reflection my heat-of-the-moment reaction was inappropriate. It was not aimed at anyone in particular."

Although Professional Football Association deputy chief executive John Bramhall described Rooney's actions as "disappointing", he said the player acknowledged his responsibility by issuing a swift apology.

"Taking into account the highly pressurised situation within the game, it is still an action that wasn't acceptable and Wayne's apology confirms that," Bramhall told BBC Radio 5 live.

"He has apologised immediately after the game and has clearly realised that they are not the actions you would expect of a player in his position."

United team-mate Rio Ferdinand urged the media to show leniency towards Rooney through his Twitter account on Sunday.

The defender called for newspapers and radio "to give Wayne a break" adding "he knows what he did was wrong".

Ferdinand said he had spoken to Rooney and the United forward was "genuinely sorry".

FA rules state: "A participant shall at all times act in the best interests of the game and shall not act in any manner which is improper or brings the game into disrepute or use any one, or a combination of, violent conduct, serious foul play, threatening, abusive, indecent or insulting words or behaviour."

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One less than he deserved for smacking McCarthy.

Couldn't give a shit about the incident itself.

This decision makes the elbow incident even more bizarre.

The FA are seemingly more concerned about him swearing a couple of times than a blatant assault which had the potential to cause serious harm.

that sam wallace is a total dick. Rooney is constantly defended in the press, from swearing at fans for england or united down the camera mic, to intentionaly twatting someone in the head with his elbow for no particular reason, and smashing welsh players, it's all his robust character, not his scum bag persona.

"We cannot have football both ways. We cannot have the raw, edginess of a player like Rooney in a hostile atmosphere and pumped up with adrenaline and then at the same time expect him and every other player to behave like they are taking tea on the lawns of Brasenose College in 1923.

Why not?

Rooney is an overhyped, overpaid twat, that's not an excuse for being pig ignorant.

Why not?

Rooney is an overhyped, overpaid twat, that's not an excuse for being pig ignorant.

Quite agree mate, I don`t remember tommy smith or dave mckay or countless others from "back then" who would behave like that.He would start crying if he had to take the field with those boys.Over hyped, overpayed, wanker!.

I've read that article by Wallace and I actually think he does raise some valid points, but this bit baffles me....

'No one is saying he is perfect, but take a walk in his shoes for a day and you might see the world as a very different place'

He speaks about Rooney as if he's a man earning minimum wage working day and night to support his family, not a man earning a quarter of a million pounds every single week to kick a football around and living the perfect life. Walk a day in his shows? No problem. If I was on 40 grand a day I'd take all the abuse under the sun.

No one wants passion removed from the game. Football is a firey sport and anyone who plays or has ever played it at any level knows that the language used is colorful to say the least. If Rooney had been overheard swearing in the midst of a goal celebration then I'd agree that he shouldn't even have a case to answer, but to actually make a point of sticking your face in to a camera and shouting 'Fuck off' to the watching world, men, women and children, is a totally different story. There's just no excuse for it. That isn't passion, it's arrogant thugishness and he deserves every thing he gets. The incident just demonstrates how braindead he is to think he'd ever get away with it.

Deserved banning tbh.

It might not be a big deal for us but people all over the world were watching it- continental Europe, Americas, Asia and the Arab countries. In the Asian and Arab communities, especially, swearing is not as tolerated as it is in the western world.