You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

johnny rafa was still here when the blackstone thing was going on. And bascombe had given us plenty of info before hand. The email campaign to blackstone stopped the club still being in the hands of hicks. Brian reade has a book out shortly he has the minutes of that meeting you will see how close it was and that if the emails were not sent this club right now would be finished.

This is very interesting.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't let this cack go unchallenged.

No one got stictched up and "SOS" whatever that means, yet again, held no candle for Benitez.

Yet again, what is the evidence for this nonsense?

What SOS did do was suss Purslow from the start and despite getting pilloried over the meetings with him and trying to doorstep him to find out exactly who was running the show many saw it as rude to the man and none of the supporters' business.

The whole point of trying to hold him to account was to expose the vaccuum he stepped into that allowed him (not Broughton) to dispose of one manager without having a better one lined up and then oversee one of the worst six month's in this Club's history.

And let's not overstate his "saving" the Club. Once you get to the point that you see that Hicks and Gillett are finished and the Club is looking at administration it isn't hard to play a part in dealing with the limited, credible offers that were around and then take legal advice that says "Go on, sell, they won't be able to stop you".

Especially when the personal risk to you is zero.

Where was the apology to the 2 journalists that had there professionalism called into question at a Rally? While praising the journos who later tried to sell the club to a conman. Until that apology is fortcoming it's a stich up IMO

That doesn't stack up.

Broughton got appointed through RBS pressure and Hicks and Gillett (presumably reluctantly) agreeing to the terms of his appointment. The terms of his appointment put Broughton in virtual complete control of the bigger picture.

From that point administration, refinancing or sale were the only options. Broughton appointed Barcap and they trawled the world for buyers - some credible, some not.

RBS were putting pressure on for a sale or administration and the Owners were seeking refinancing.

Purslow will have played a part in this and where he should get credit was voting against a refinance. But frankly that would have been a no brainer and been the longest suicide note in history if he had voted with the Owners against Broughton and Ayre.

Once refinancing had gone as an option then it was a matter of picking the best and most credible buyer. He had his doubts about NESV (and I don't blame him for that) but ultimately they were the best game in town.

It does add up. Hicks was looking for finance, Hicks was getting re-finance. A combination of fan pressure and Broughton ensured that Hicks couldn't get re-financing with RBS, but may have found re-financing with another party.

The board could have been easily re-constructed Pre Broughton, to suit Hicks. Remember the only reason Hicks couldn't re-construct the board was because he handed that power to Broughton as per his contract. RBS had little or no say, before the Broughton appointment, Broughton was just there to speed up a sale process. Hicks wanted control of the club and was fighting tooth and nail for it.

Is it not feasible that Hicks could have found finance with a board constructed in his favor. Considering the advanced talks he had with Blackstone etc.

Before Broughton was brought in the Americans had full control of the board and the club.

Hicks and George could have sacked anyone they liked and replaced anyone they liked. If Christian Purslow had left the club before Broughton, then it's entirely feasible that Broughton wouldn't be here and they would still have control, or they would have had a much greater say in the eventual owners of the club.

No, not right.

Broughton was brought in because of RBS, no other reason. That would have always happened.

Where was the apology to the 2 journalists that had there professionalism called into question at a Rally? While praising the journos who later tried to sell the club to a conman. Until that apology is fortcoming it's a stich up IMO

One Committee member made that comment and probably regrets it now as it was irrelevant to the rally.

The context of the comment has to be seen in light of the timing - a view held by many is that Bascombe and Maddocks only changed their tune once Benitez had gone.

And you haven't addressed or produced the pro-Benitez evidence of an SOS love-in. Because there isn't any.

One Committee member made that comment and probably regrets it now as it was irrelevant to the rally.

The context of the comment has to be seen in light of the timing - a view held by many is that Bascombe and Maddocks only changed their tune once Benitez had gone.

And you haven't addressed or produced the pro-Benitez evidence of an SOS love-in. Because there isn't any.

FWIW

I know a few members of the committee and haven't come across anyone who wanted Rafa sacked.

It does add up. Hicks was looking for finance, Hicks was getting re-finance. A combination of fan pressure and Broughton ensured that Hicks couldn't get re-financing with RBS, but may have found re-financing with another party.

The board could have been easily re-constructed Pre Broughton, to suit Hicks. Remember the only reason Hicks couldn't re-construct the board was because he handed that power to Broughton as per his contract. RBS had little or no say, before the Broughton appointment, Broughton was just there to speed up a sale process. Hicks wanted control of the club and was fighting tooth and nail for it.

Is it not feasible that Hicks could have found finance with a board constructed in his favor. Considering the advanced talks he had with Blackstone etc.

No, you are completely forgetting RBS's role. The Board could have had Father, Son and Holy Ghost on it pre-Broughton.

RBS insisted on Broughton and Broughton insisted on the terms he negotiated. If he felt he didn't have the "numbers" on the Board before he was appointed he wouldn't have taken the job.

Broughton knew that sale, refinance or administration were the options. Voting against refinance was a no brainer for everyone and avoiding administration through a sale was the game.

Broughton and the Board delivered the sale.

Blackstone's proposed refinancing was much later in the day, after Broughton hasd come on board. It was part of Hick's last throw of the dice to avoid the epic swindle.

FWIW

I know a few members of the committee and haven't come across anyone who wanted Rafa sacked.

And I know a few who did.

But the point is personal opinions about the manager never spilled to influence the actions taken by the Union.

The same way that nothing happened about Hodgson. The Union has no role in selecting or getting rid of the manager.

The allegation is that a pro-Benitez Committee bias somehow influenced the work done by the Union.

It didn't exist.

johnny rafa was still here when the blackstone thing was going on. And bascombe had given us plenty of info before hand. The email campaign to blackstone stopped the club still being in the hands of hicks. Brian reade has a book out shortly he has the minutes of that meeting you will see how close it was and that if the emails were not sent this club right now would be finished.

And I thank Bascombe for that.

Throughout the whole Bascombe hatred thing I was never one hammering him, even though I disagreed with a lot he said. What I am saying is that more deserve thanks also. Bascombe wanted Rafa out, that was very clear in his articles. Yes, he backed H&G at one point when most had realized how bad they were, but he corrected his mistake and more then made up for it. But well before that, in fact starting a few years ago, Dion Fanning was one of a very few journalist who was unequivocal in his condemnation of Hicks and Gillett. When nearly every other journalist was saying how they are fine because they bought us Torres, Fanning was explaining why this was not fine and how much trouble we were going to be in. However, Fanning is despised now because he was a fan of Benitez and states that while Carra was once excellent, he is now past it (although he recently said he was “outstanding” against Chelsea, but that was ignored). In a lot of Liverpool fans eyes, questioning Carra’s ability is akin to killing an orphan, so Fanning was always going to get hammered for that one (although to be fair, Carra yet again shoved the accusation of being past it right back down his throat with his superb recent performances). But I especially love the one we hear about how Fanning is turning Dalglish against Carragher?? An incredibly daft accusation based in some far away dream land, yet it is now gathering pace as I’ve heard it a few times. The old muck spreader is on full throttle again. Although I’m not condoning some of the alleged accusations Fanning has made about Carra, and if true, he’ll have to pay for them.

I suppose what I am saying is that people who kept this in the public eye when it was not flavor of the month are ignored, or in some cases hated, while others who came to it quite late, but admittedly did a huge amount, are now been given all the credit. Doesn’t seem right. The credit deservers to be spread around.

P.S. I still don't like Purslow.

johnny in the new book you will see bascombe quiz moores over the sale of the club within a month and reade was present at this. You should also notice that bascombe was banned from the first press conference by the club because they knew he knew all about hicks and gillett.

I'd heard about that before actually now that you mention it.

So what happened between then and his comments over a year later about giving them time?

Just to add, I'm not looking to stir here. It's a genuine question, because he went from knowing they were a disastour, to saying we should give them time, to going back to saying they were a disaster, and working hard to help get them out.

did hicks not bring broughton on board? Thats what broughton said hicks wanted him as he was introduced to sir martin by a mutual friend of hicks and hicks then thought he could count on sir martin's vote on the board.

I think Broughton said he had met Hicks before, but all reports were that it was very much RBS that brought him on board, and I think Broughton confirmed that himself in one LFC.TV staged interview where he referred to it.

did hicks not bring broughton on board? Thats what broughton said hicks wanted him as he was introduced to sir martin by a mutual friend of hicks and hicks then thought he could count on sir martin's vote on the board.

Al, Broughton was put on board by RBS. There is no way he was a Hicks idea. You only have to see the terms he worked under to see that.

His appointment effectively signed the Club over from Hicks and Gillett.

Purslow did the right thing when he voted twice against the cunts. He got in over his head when he started on his football manager ideas. His backing for Hodgson to get the job has put us back at least a year on the pitch when Kenny was the only man who could and probably would have got us back into the mix this season. As for the rest, done is done and we should only be looking forward now. The cracks won't ever heal if we keep opening up the old wounds.

Very few people come out of the last few years shit storm without any damage to their reputation Moores, Parry , Hicks and Gillet, Rafa Hodgson all tarnished some fatally by the carry on at the club.

Purslow too has had his credibility in the football world damaged, he had non to start with, but I would say his standing and profile in the business world has been enhanced.

Only Broughton and Kenny come out of this sorry mess positively in my opinion and of all the villians Purslow is the least of them. That cunt Moores should be getting it with both barrels.

Al, Broughton was put on board by RBS. There is no way he was a Hicks idea. You only have to see the terms he worked under to see that.

His appointment effectively signed the Club over from Hicks and Gillett.

Was his appointment not a condition of the final re-finance and effectively told hicks and Gillett sell up we want our money and will not be re financing you again.

johnny you need to read the article by bascombe were he says cut them some slack. Its to do with a big sponsor deal that was big at the time if i remember. In the early days of sos i asked via chris for the committee to meet him he had info and wanted to clear some things up. He got fucked off which is up to the vote but i worked very closely with him right through the whole saga. He gave me great info and ideas. Thats why i back him up because i know how hard he worked and i have a lot of time for him. Plus we both hated rafa of course.

And as I've said Al, I do thank him for that. I certainly don't in any way shape or form think that Bascombe did fuck all. Far from it.

Sorry but he is a sly, duplicitous shite, but that slyness and duplicitousness was exactly what was needed to get rid of those two parasites. Acknowledging his failings doesn't take away what he acheived, but it is more than fair to question whether or not his behaviour is acceptable at a stable football club, which wants to work together and achieve together!

That doesn't stack up.

Broughton got appointed through RBS pressure and Hicks and Gillett (presumably reluctantly) agreeing to the terms of his appointment. The terms of his appointment put Broughton in virtual complete control of the bigger picture.

From that point administration, refinancing or sale were the only options. Broughton appointed Barcap and they trawled the world for buyers - some credible, some not.

RBS were putting pressure on for a sale or administration and the Owners were seeking refinancing.

Purslow will have played a part in this and where he should get credit was voting against a refinance. But frankly that would have been a no brainer and been the longest suicide note in history if he had voted with the Owners against Broughton and Ayre.

Once refinancing had gone as an option then it was a matter of picking the best and most credible buyer. He had his doubts about NESV (and I don't blame him for that) but ultimately they were the best game in town.

This is spot on.

RBS drove the whole sale process. When it became clear that there was only one winner Purslow swapped horses.

But he's gone now and his followers should get over it.