You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

I think Enrique and Dann will be done but late as we can squeeze both clubs on the fee.

Re Defoe, with the service we would provide and with Kenny's gift of knowing what makes players tick I think he would clear up. I would definitely get him in.

However I would rather a player who can play on the right and upfront and then a holding midfielder.

I reckon we need 4 players minimum but would go for 5 if we bought an out and out striker

Arsenal have signed Alex Chamberlain for 12m with 3m in add-ons, Aquilani agent says there has been no contact from AC Milan, Álvaro Pereira being linked with Paris PSG, and Fernando Gago move back to Boca Juniors has fallen through.

Good signing for arsenal that, but likely not going to impress for a year or so.

Obertain almost sealed a five year deal with Newcastle. Ill be horrified if united get their 3m back.

George Caulkin Northern Sports Correspondent

1 minute ago

Joey Barton returned to first-team training at Newcastle United yesterday and spoke of his desire to play a meaningful role for the club this season.

A week after being placed on the transfer list and being told that he could leave St James’ Park for no fee, the midfield player rejoined the rest of Alan Pardew’s senior squad. In the interim he has either trained on his own or with Newcastle’s youth side.

Having taken a firm line with Barton in the aftermath of a dressing-room disagreement after Newcastle’s 3-2 friendly defeat away to Leeds United and the 28-year-old’s subsequent criticism of the club’s hierarchy on Twitter, Pardew last week called for both sides to reflect. “I wanted to make it clear to him that he’s got to pull with us if he’s going to stay here,” he said.

That rapprochement has continued, with Barton again using Twitter to state he was “looking forward to Arsenal” on Saturday, a reference to Newcastle’s opening match in the Premier League. He later clarified his comments, which were sandwiched by conversations with journalists, admitting that the manager has yet to pick his team. There is little doubt that a focused and committed Barton would be a formidable addition to Pardew’s armoury, although nothing is yet guaranteed.

Pardew hopes for further good news by this weekend, with Newcastle closing in on the signing of Erik Pieters, the Holland international. They also expect to complete the £3 million transfer of Gabriel Obertan from Manchester United today.

Pieters, the 23-year-old left back, is viewed as a natural replacement for José Enrique, who is a long-term target for Liverpool and, like Barton, is entering the final season of his contract. Pardew has no natural cover for Enrique who has also been fined for expressing discontent with club officials.

Pardew travelled to the Netherlands on Sunday to watch Pieters play in PSV Eindhoven’s 3-1 defeat by Alkmaar.

The defender is recovering from a knee injury, but has been first-choice for his country. Pardew also wants to bring in another striker and will this week again urge Mike Ashley, Newcastle’s owner, to free up funds. The club have failed in bids to sign Kévin Gameiro, Gervinho and Mevlut Erdinc.

The Times

Arsenal have signed Alex Chamberlain for 12m with 3m in add-ons, Aquilani agent says there has been no contact from AC Milan.

1. If we had signed Chamberlain for that much we would be slaughtered, we paid just 1million more for Henderson who has at least had 2 seasons as a premier league regular whilst Chamberlain has had one season in league one

2. Does Aquilani's agent ever shut the fuck up?!

some reliable itks on twitter saying we are on the brink of signing chris baird from fulham, say the deal was all wrapped up in a matter of hours and we swooped quickly because we urgently needed a utility defender (or defenseman for our american fans) after injuries to skrtel and johnson and the ever fragile agger and aurelio

if these rumours are true i am not too impressed, it is a hodgsonesque signing as the lad simply isn't liverpool quality, however the fulham fans seem to rate him and he can play right back, centre back and holding midfielder so might do as a decent squad player

some reliable itks on twitter saying we are on the brink of signing chris baird from fulham, say the deal was all wrapped up in a matter of hours and we swooped quickly because we urgently needed a utility defender (or defenseman for our american fans) after injuries to skrtel and johnson and the ever fragile agger and aurelio

if these rumours are true i am not too impressed, it is a hodgsonesque signing as the lad simply isn't liverpool quality, however the fulham fans seem to rate him and he can play right back, centre back and holding midfielder so might do as a decent squad player

I say false.

The emboldened part contradicts itself.

1. If we had signed Chamberlain for that much we would be slaughtered, we paid just 1million more for Henderson who has at least had 2 seasons as a premier league regular whilst Chamberlain has had one season in league one

2. Does Aquilani's agent ever shut the fuck up?!

Oxlade is 12 million. And he has far higher ceiling than henderson tbh. Also wenger wanted to buy him in january to have him as a backup player and slowly introduce him. The thing is people keep saying there's nothing wrong with our attack and if we never signed Gervinho and Nasri signed a new contract and Alex came in early in the window as backup. No one would say anything.

What happened now is Gervinho will replace nasri on the left wing attack like for like and Alex will just be backup player who will slowly work his way up. This boy would be way too expensive for us 1-2 years. And just like the Caroll deal this will be paid with the Nasri money who will go to City for 22 million pound in the next 48 hours. Expect to see Cahill in the coming days in Arsenal as well

Jan Molby on LFC TV " Scott Dann is better defender than Cahill and in Cara mould" says Cahill goes AWOL and gets caught between full back and centre back position,thereby leaving gap in middle of defense.

I think he's just saying this because Cahill will go to Arsenal coming days and Liverpool will go for Dann:whistle:

I think he's just saying this because Cahill will go to Arsenal coming days and Liverpool will go for Dann:whistle:

No big problem if that happens. When we're on the up and you can hear "Dann! Dann! Dann! Dann! Dann!" Coming from the Kop you'll know we got the right player. And he's a Scouser that'll be playing under Kenny for a great side, he'll probably be twice the player he's been anywhere else. I hope we get him instead anyway.

I reckon that Dann is a smarter defender, for sure. Cahill is probably a bit more naturally gifted.

I know Dann is taller, but then Cahill won most headers in the league last season. honestly i dont know that much of neither as i havent watched their teams. But we need a solid CB, right now there's only 2 CB i trust Vermaelen and Koscielny...the other two needs to be put down

I know Dann is taller, but then Cahill won most headers in the league last season. honestly i dont know that much of neither as i havent watched their teams. But we need a solid CB, right now there's only 2 CB i trust Vermaelen and Koscielny...the other two needs to be put down

Dann and Cahill for me are two different types of defenders.

Dann is a 'get rid' kind of defender whereas Cahill is more of a ball carrier.

Out of the two i would say Cahill is best suited to the way Arsenal play whilst Dann may well be the long term replacement for Carragher.

Both a decent defenders who i think will improve by either moving to Liverpool or Arsenal but they shouldn't be compared to one another.

They actually would probably form a decent central partnership so it a shame neither team are likely to buy the both of them.

Dann and Cahill for me are two different types of defenders.

Dann is a 'get rid' kind of defender whereas Cahill is more of a ball carrier.

Out of the two i would say Cahill is best suited to the way Arsenal play whilst Dann may well be the long term replacement for Carragher.

Both a decent defenders who i think will improve by either moving to Liverpool or Arsenal but they shouldn't be compared to one another.

They actually would probably form a decent central partnership so it a shame neither team are likely to buy the both of them.

sounds interesting. But the funny thing is we need a Dann type of defender, while you need someone like Cahill who is more of a ball player. i know you have Agger, but he's too injury prone while the other three are not ball players exactly

sounds interesting. But the funny thing is we need a Dann type of defender, while you need someone like Cahill who is more of a ball player. i know you have Agger, but he's too injury prone while the other three are not ball players exactly

True we certainly can not rely on Agger.

At the moment the prices quoted for either player is what's stopping them moving.

I think either player would be a good signing for whichever team they ended up joining.

Cahill is capable of dominating in the air which Arsenal need but Dann has a more physical presence in my opinion which also Arsenal could do with.

The way we are setup means that Adam or Lucas will pick the ball up deep so as long as the defender is capable of passing the ball 10 yards then we should be alright.

I have to be honest though and say that both are decent defenders but not top quality although in saying that a top class centre half is a dying breed at the moment.

Guest ian garro

Don't think that's right about us needing a ball playing defender - or at least that shouldn't be a priority, anyway. We need a defender who will dominate the backline, who will move people up and out, who will bollock people, who will put his body on the line - and basically everything else that Carragher does - otherwise, we're going to be relying on a 34 year old to play 38 games, as we don't have any other defender who is prepared to do this.

Skrtel and Agger have their own qualities, but both are more of a partner, than a leader, if you see what I mean ? I haven't really seen enough of Dann to know if thats what he does, but I'd be a bit concerned about Cahill partnering either Agger or Skrtel at the moment, due to his tendency to be dragged out of the middle.

True we certainly can not rely on Agger.

At the moment the prices quoted for either player is what's stopping them moving.

I think either player would be a good signing for whichever team they ended up joining.

Cahill is capable of dominating in the air which Arsenal need but Dann has a more physical presence in my opinion which also Arsenal could do with.

The way we are setup means that Adam or Lucas will pick the ball up deep so as long as the defender is capable of passing the ball 10 yards then we should be alright.

I have to be honest though and say that both are decent defenders but not top quality although in saying that a top class centre half is a dying breed at the moment.

yeah top CB are really hard to find. whats worse is left backs are even harder to find....there's serious lack of top class left backs right now. We are sticking with Gibbs for now who is talented, but as soon as tou touch him he gets injured. then Traore who's an amazing athlete and quick as hell, just cant defend to save his life:wallbutt:

Don't think that's right about us needing a ball playing defender - or at least that shouldn't be a priority, anyway. We need a defender who will dominate the backline, who will move people up and out, who will bollock people, who will put his body on the line - and basically everything else that Carragher does - otherwise, we're going to be relying on a 34 year old to play 38 games, as we don't have any other defender who is prepared to do this.

Skrtel and Agger have their own qualities, but both are more of a partner, than a leader, if you see what I mean ? I haven't really seen enough of Dann to know if thats what he does, but I'd be a bit concerned about Cahill partnering either Agger or Skrtel at the moment, due to his tendency to be dragged out of the middle.

From what i heard Dann is very quite guy and it was Roger Johnson who was the talker and organiser while Dann was the more intelligent defender who kept sweaping his messes