You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

I can understand people being unsure over the likes of Downing/Young etc but less than 10 months ago the big question was could we get the deal done to bye Carlton Fucking Cole done in time and for 10ml,while trying to get rid of babel to afford it.

Where are the tantrums?

Go back a few pages and have a good read, mate.

Constantly bringing up the Carroll signing as a stick to beat the owners with is fucking laughable too.

I love a good moan as much as anyone but this is getting beyond a joke.

Constantly bringing up the Carroll signing as a stick to beat the owners with is fucking laughable too.

No-one's done that either though have they?

A few people said we overpaid for him, a few people said we shouldn't build the team around him, a few people said they weren't sure if he'd turn out to be that good or not.

There was no beating and no sticks.

Ironic hey?

No-one's done that either though have they?

A few people said we overpaid for him, a few people said we shouldn't build the team around him, a few people said they weren't sure if he'd turn out to be that good or not.

There was no beating and no sticks.

Ironic hey?

Alanis?

I can't be fucked trawling through the site to find you examples of peoples hysterics but I know, and I think you know, that there's more than a few people writing him off already.

I've never once seen anyone use Carooll's signing as a stick to beat the owners with let alone it being constant.

We overpaid for the lad, that is without question in my book but the owners are not at fault for that, how could they be.

I've never once see anyone use Carooll's signing as a stick to beat the owners with let alone it being constant.

We overpaid for the lad, that is without question in my book but the owners are not at fault for that, how could they be.

For fucks sake. Not everything everybody says is black and white. If somebody says

" Carroll is a shite overhyped english player and we've been ripped off and the same is happening with Downing/Henderson/Adam. [smug] I thought fsg's transfer 'ethos' was to sign the best up and coming talent. [smug]"

Then i'll assume they're using it as a points scoring excercise to somehow prove they know better than the owners/commoli/dalglish.

Guest ShoePiss
For fucks sake. Not everything everybody says is black and white. If somebody says

" Carroll is a shite overhyped english player and we've been ripped off and the same is happening with Downing/Henderson/Adam. [smug] I thought fsg's transfer 'ethos' was to sign the best up and coming talent. [smug]"

Then i'll assume they're using it as a points scoring excercise to somehow prove they know better than the owners/commoli/dalglish.

There's no need to have a tantrum over it, just take a few deep breaths.

Then you'd be wrong wouldn't you.

Unless you are saying the owners chose Carroll and how much we should pay.

Any criticism of that deal is of Kenny and comolli, not the owners.

Only June 3rd and, apparently, if you don't think Henderson and Jones are worth £30m then it's only because you're blinded by your xenophobia; and if you thought the £35m we paid Newcastle for Carroll - the most we've ever paid for any player - was excessive, you're a hysterical girl who hates the owners.

Can't wait till July.

Then you'd be wrong wouldn't you.

Unless you are saying the owners chose Carroll and how much we should pay.

Any criticism of that deal is of Kenny and comolli, not the owners.

Yes i am saying the owners chose how much to pay. Price is clearly the issue here. How many people would moan about this signing if he cost 50p?

Only June 3rd and, apparently, if you don't think Henderson and Jones are worth £30m then it's only because you're blinded by your xenophobia; and if you thought the £35m we paid Newcastle for Carroll - the most we've ever paid for any player - was excessive, you're a hysterical girl who hates the owners.

Can't wait till July.

There's no such thing as middle ground where you're from? Fantastic job of twisting my words aswell, you should write for a red top.

Yes i am saying the owners chose how much to pay. Price is clearly the issue here. How many people would moan about this signing if he cost 50p?

Of course it's the issue I agree, cos 35 million quid could buy you any other footballer in history apart from 7.

Almost everyone thinks Carroll could be great, and if you removed the price tag almost everyone would be pleased to have him here. However when you see rumours of Higuain on offer for 15 million and Mata for 15-20 million it's certainly worth ruminating on whether we over splunked on Carroll and perhaps biding our time might have been better. E.g. would you prefer Carroll and Downing or Higuain, Mata and Downing?

That doesn't mean that people don't want Carroll to be a success. Apart from maybe one or two cock knockers.

Of course it's the issue I agree, cos 35 million quid could buy you any other footballer in history apart from 7.

Almost everyone thinks Carroll could be great, and if you removed the price tag almost everyone would be pleased to have him here. However when you see rumours of Higuain on offer for 15 million and Mata for 15-20 million it's certainly worth ruminating on whether we over splunked on Carroll and perhaps biding our time might have been better. E.g. would you prefer Carroll and Downing or Higuain, Mata and Downing?

That doesn't mean that people don't want Carroll to be a success. Apart from maybe one or two cock knockers.

Yeah i agree with all of that. I suppose when it comes down to it, i'm just astounded how some people still manage to moan about signing a class player for big money (the same people have been wanting us to do that for years) considering where we were a year ago.

Also, don't people realise that if Kenny thought - let's be hypothetical here - Mata was better than Downing (i'm not saying he isn't) or Higuain was better than carroll FOR US that he would be signing them instead? Like i say, hypothetical.

Commoli's is not going to be reading this and saying "shit, moof thinks Perotti is better than downing. And he'll only cost 10million!"

We have a network of scouts and Dalglish and Commoli who's job it is to identify these players and try to bring them to the club. I think they will go for the best players they can. If that ends up being Downing and Henderson then i can't begin to imagine what it will be like on here come september.

Yeah i agree with all of that. I suppose when it comes down to it, i'm just astounded how some people still manage to moan about signing a class player for big money (the same people have been wanting us to do that for years) considering where we were a year ago.

Also, don't people realise that if Kenny thought - let's be hypothetical here - Mata was better than Downing (i'm not saying he isn't) or Higuain was better than carroll FOR US that he would be signing them instead? Like i say, hypothetical.

Commoli's is not going to be reading this and saying "shit, moof thinks Perotti is better than downing. And he'll only cost 10million!"

We have a network of scouts and Dalglish and Commoli who's job it is to identify these players and try to bring them to the club. I think they will go for the best players they can. If that ends up being Downing and Henderson then i can't begin to imagine what it will be like on here come september.

Well I agree - also it depends on who you can get. A common argument about Aquilani for example was that Schneider was available for the same amount so we should have got him instead. A stupid argument because no-one knows whether he would have come here instead of Inter or not.

Despite my argument above I don't think we'd be that likely to sign Higuain if he did leave Real. We got Carroll because we could and Kenny/Commolli obviously rated him. We did just overpay a bit.

I guess my point is maybe wait until people act like massive spackers before calling them all massive spackers, rather than pre-empting all the spackerdom.

I don't their, especially in the last 5 years, sides have been as predictable as you are alluding to but they certainly was previously.

We might very well go down that route but I still prefer us to have options within the squad to pick for various games. Having a starting eleven doesn't allow this and also doesn't help keep players fresh.

I think we need to, and might well do, add 6-8 players in the summer to what we've got to be very competitive in every game we play.

we won't buy that many players unless we sell some. The wage bill is far too high. I would guess the most we could expect would be 4 new players unless there's a lot out of the door, but that will be easier said than done. Nobody wants aquilani, perhaps nobody wants cole considering his salary, the greek is happy with us and has another 12 months, who'd buy agger or aurelio and anything after that and you are into the core dozen or so players who saw us through the end of the season.

EDIT: and after reading the rest of the thread i forgot about jovanovich, same applies to him as cole.