You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Right or wrong its not down to you which leads me to...

Then I fully expect you not to comment on anything 'til the end of the season?

Come on then, why?

You quoted me quicker than I could finish the post.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Well, few players are going to choose us above a member of the top four unless there's the promise of more regular football here, that's obvious. We've missed out two seasons in a row and our history counts for nothing with players who've no connection to us and can only see that we're not currently in Europe, let alone the competition UEFA's greed has made into the be all and end all.

It's not inconceivable that some might choose Spurs above us unless we offer a higher wage, either. The whisper of 'London' in the ear of the average impressionable young player goes a long way now that they're semi-established as a superior side to us.

I think it's fair to say that we see things very, very differently.

Guest PurpleNose
Do people really have a major issue starting next year with either

----------------Pepe

Johnson-----Carra---Jones----L.B

Henderson--Gerrard--Lucas----Downing

--------Suarez

---------------Carroll

or

----------------Pepe

Johnson-----Carra---Jones----L.B

----------------Lucas

--------Raul/Henderson---Gerrard

----Suarez-------------Young

---------------Carroll

There isn't enough quality width in either side.

I think some peopel need to relise we may not be the most attractive option at the moment for alot of foriegn players.

I am 28 and barely old enough to remeber the last title win,those players at 22 or so were not born till 1989/90 and will only remeber a side that won the champions league once 6 years ago and that hasnt been in the champions league for 2 years.We are also in propbaly the most competitve league for making the champions league these days with at least 2 clubs that can spend freely and would b able to offer bigger wages and champions league football.We also do not have the big staff of Spanish first team coaches and players that help atract talent anymore.Kenny is a legend in Britain but how many foriegn kids that are in there early 20`s were dreaming o being him on the playground,when i was a kid everyone loved John Barnes and that attracted kids of my generation,these kids idolised other players.The youngsters now grew up on the Galaticos and Barca side of Rijkaard and even the bastards on the other end of the M6.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I think you probably just have a bit more faith in the ability of the average player to make the right choice when they're put on the spot.

I have faith in people not to sign a 6 year contract off the back of 1.5 seasons. I have confidence that top players would prefer to play in a world famous team, with new owners and manager, rather than Spurs who aren't even in the Champions League and are looking to sell their best players.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I meant it leads me too the following question Numero

Yeah, I'd just finished editing the post as you quoted the one line. There's many reasons - from both a quality and tactical/technical point of view why those teams are fucking shite. The first team is particularly shite.

Jones and Henderson are young and potentially quality, getting them now means we've got them cheaper than what they will become.

I dont get the beef, i'm sure we'll sign a good mix.

If he's got £100m to spend say he cant just go out and buy two players because we need more than two

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Jones and Henderson are young and potentially quality, getting them now means we've got them cheaper than what they will become.

I dont get the beef, i'm sure we'll sign a good mix.

If he's got £100m to spend say he cant just go out and buy two players because we need more than two

I'm not saying buy two players. £100m is an increadible amount of money. You can get far more than two top players for that. There's four or five top players out of that money.

The real question is whether we can get better for our money than Downing for £20m, Henderson for £15m+ and Adam for £10m. I think the answer is clearly a yes.

It seems like the criteria is English first, talent after.

I'm not saying buy two players. £100m is an increadible amount of money. You can get far more than two top players for that. There's four or five top players out of that money.

The real question is whether we can get better for our money than Downing for £20m, Henderson for £15m+ and Adam for £10m. I think the answer is clearly a yes.

It seems like the criteria is English first, talent after.

Is that a policy or shit, lazy journalism?

I agree with your overall point though mate.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Is that a policy or shit, lazy journalism?

I agree with your overall point though mate.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. What I should really have said is that 'judging from what we're hearing' it's like that's the criteria for signings. Still it has come from Tony B, so I guess we can take something from it.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Come on then Numero, you clearly know the inner workings of Europes club who'll sell their players on the cheap to us.

What the fuck are you dribbling on about? When did I mention anything about 'on the cheap'? Is 15m on the fucking cheap? Is it on the cheap for a kid from Sunderland? No, it isn't. I'm asking, and I think I was quite clear, whether or not we can get better value for our money.

Which players would you buy for the same money thats been bandied about bearing in mind no one knows anything

Well, there's Downing at £20m and Mata at £15-19m and Perroti at under 10m. Those are just players that have been mentioned in the media. That's without looking at players like Arda Turan for even less.

Maybe I should just list the players who have been purchased for less than Downing, just to put it in perspective the quality of player that those funds can get you.

All I want is for us to spend our money wisely, on quality players for the first team. I don't think that's a crime. I'm not saying that Kenny shouldn't get money to spend however he sees fit. I'm saying that, like I did with Cole, Pennant, Bellamy and many others, we shouldn't be frittering it away. The difference is, those were free or pretty cheap. Downing, Adam, Henderson and the others are not cheap, they're fucking expensive and I think we can do better for the money.

Below is the list of players signed byDamien Comolli believed to have cost Tottenham over £1m, starting with the most recent…

1. Vedran Corluka, Manchester City, £8.5m

2. Roman Pavlyuchenko, Spartak Moscow, £14m

3. Cesar Sanchez, Real Zaragoza, Undisclosed

4. David Bentley, Blackburn Rovers, £15m-17m

5. Heurelho Gomes, PSV Eindhoven, £9m

6. Giovani dos Santos, Barcelona, £4.7m

7. Luka Modric, Dinamo Zagreb, £15.8m

8. Gilberto, Hertha Berlin £1.9m

9. Alan Hutton, Glasgow Rangers, £8m

10. Jonathan Woodgate, Middlesbrough, £7.5m

11. Chris Gunter, Cardiff City, £2m

12. Kevin-Prince Boateng, Hertha Berlin, £5.2m

13. Danny Rose, Leeds United, Undisclosed

14. Younes Kaboul, Auxerre, £8.2m

15. Darren Bent, Charlton Athletic, £16.5m

16. Adel Taarabt, RC Lens, Undisclosed

17. Gareth Bale, Southampton, £5m – £10m

18. Ben Alnwick, Sunderland, Undisclosed

19. Ricardo Rocha, Benfica, £3,5m

20. Mido, AS Roma, £4m

21. Pascal Chimbonda, Wigan Athletic, £4m

22. Steed Malbranque, Fulham, £3.5m

23. Didier Zokora, St Etienne, £6.5m

24. Benoit Assou-Ekotto, RC Lens, £3.5m

25. Dimitar Berbatov, Bayer Leverkusen, £10.9m

26. Hossam Ghaly, Feyernoord, Undisclosed

27. Danny Murphy, Charlton, £2m

You think Kenny or Comolli is running the show when it comes to signings?

Yeah, you're absolutely right. What I should really have said is that 'judging from what we're hearing' it's like that's the criteria for signings. Still it has come from Tony B, so I guess we can take something from it.

It doesn't make especially good reading does it mate.

I still think a manager of kenny's quality wouldn't put nationality ahead of ability.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
It doesn't make especially good reading does it mate.

I still think a manager of kenny's quality wouldn't put nationality ahead of ability.

I actually think this summer is vital for the rebuilding of our club. It looks as though we're going to be handed a significant amount of money for players. If we spend it unwisely, we're in trouble. If we miss out on fourth, we're back on the downward spiral. Why would FSG plough so much money into the same people picking players if they players they've spend loads out turn out to be duds.

I think it's going to be a big close season. I just hope we get it right.

What the fuck are you dribbling on about? When did I mention anything about 'on the cheap'? Is 15m on the fucking cheap? Is it on the cheap for a kid from Sunderland? No, it isn't. I'm asking, and I think I was quite clear, whether or not we can get better value for our money.

Well, there's Downing at £20m and Mata at £15-19m and Perroti at under 10m. Those are just players that have been mentioned in the media. That's without looking at players like Arda Turan for even less.

Maybe I should just list the players who have been purchased for less than Downing, just to put it in perspective the quality of player that those funds can get you.

All I want is for us to spend our money wisely, on quality players for the first team. I don't think that's a crime. I'm not saying that Kenny shouldn't get money to spend however he sees fit. I'm saying that, like I did with Cole, Pennant, Bellamy and many others, we shouldn't be frittering it away. The difference is, those were free or pretty cheap. Downing, Adam, Henderson and the others are not cheap, they're fucking expensive and I think we can do better for the money.

Well we'll see how much everyone you've mentioned goes for wont we then we can discuss it.

You think Kenny or Comolli is running the show when it comes to signings?

Kenny will have the final say

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Well we'll see how much everyone you've mentioned goes for wont we then we can discuss it.

But you asked me to judge on what was being 'bandied around'. That's all we can judge at the moment. If Mata goes for 30m and Downing comes to us for 5.5m, then there will be little problem. It just doesn't seem like that's realistic.

I actually think this summer is vital for the rebuilding of our club. It looks as though we're going to be handed a significant amount of money for players. If we spend it unwisely, we're in trouble. If we miss out on fourth, we're back on the downward spiral. Why would FSG plough so much money into the same people picking players if they players they've spend loads out turn out to be duds.

I think it's going to be a big close season. I just hope we get it right.

I agree this summer is crucial, if we get it right I can see us top 3 next season and then with a further one or two top quality additions we can really push for the league.

If we are going to pay a premium (the English tax) on English players then spend it on good ones.

This argument buying players young with potential for big money saves you cash in the long run doesn't work if they turn out to be shite.