You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

From BBC gossip today:

Aston Villa's Ashley Young, a £15m target for Manchester United, will sign for Liverpool instead. (Football writer Ian McGarry on BBC Radio 5 live)

------

Never heard of Ian McGarry, is he a reliable source or a shit talking journo?

I don't want to stake my entire reputation on it but I've good reason to think that something is going on. An ITK on RAWK posted a thread, it got locked, he then showed evidence to the mods and they unlocked it. Suggests something is going on.

Have you noticed your rep lately fella ?

I'd love Modric but its not going to happen.

United will be much stronger next season, Demento will rebuild that team

That will cost money and I can't see The Glaziers giving him that much. He could of course sacrafice Rooney.

Guest PurpleNose
Pretty much agree with this analysis of his game, although I don't see the Kalou comparison. Not sure who I'd suggest as a better example though.

Difficult isn't it? Was trying to think of someone that plays in England.

In terms of style on the ball they look quite different, but they share some similarities. Both players are reasonably quick, decent dribblers, not particularly good crossers, and neither have really nailed down a position yet. Which I think is/may impact on their development.

Perotti seems a more intelligent player, with more potential to improve.

Where would you play Perotti? Wide left? As a second striker? Or would you focus on improving his delivery and play him wide right?

Maxi Rodriguez says Liverpool FC must secure a return to the Champions League next season

Liverpool Daily Post, May 31 2011

EDIT: Transfer speculation at end

maxi-rodriguez-celebrates-his-hat-trick-against-fulham-620-112919679.jpg

Maxi Rodriguez celebrates his hat-trick against Fulham

MAXI RODRIGUEZ says he is enjoying life on Merseyside but admits Liverpool need to secure a return to the Champions League next season.

Kenny Dalglish’s side are facing up to the prospect of a second year away from Europe’s premier club competition, having failed to recover from a disastrous opening to their Premier League campaign.

Under the doomed stewardship of Roy Hodgson, Liverpool slid to their worst start to a season since 1953/54, and were languishing in 12th place by the time Dalglish was summoned to return to the Anfield hotseat in January.

And though performances and results improved dramatically under the Scot, the gap to the top-four proved to be too big to breach.

Indeed, defeat to Tottenham in the final home game of the season, followed by another to Aston Villa a week later, saw the Reds finish the campaign in 6th place, meaning a first season without European football of any kind at Anfield since 1999/2000.

On a personal level, Maxi finished the season strongly, scoring seven times in his final four appearances, including memorable hat-tricks against Birmingham City and Fulham. The 30-year-old was one of many players to emerge from the fringes to shine under Dalglish.

But though the Argentine, who joined the Reds on a free transfer from Spanish side Atletico Madrid in January 2010, says he is settled on Merseyside, he admits Liverpool need to return to the Champions League as soon as possible.

“Personally, I'm very happy,” said Maxi. “I finished the season with lots of goals but also the team's performances were improved.

“The team did not start well but we almost turned it around to reach Europe. We must return to the Champions League next season.”

The failure to secure Champions League, or indeed Europa League, football could yet impact on Liverpool’s summer transfer plans, with players often lured by the prospect of competing against the continent’s best. A busy summer is anticipated at Anfield, as Dalglish and Reds Director of Football Damien Comolli look to reshape.

Forwards Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez were added in January, and more are expected to follow the £57.8m duo through the door in the coming months.

One name that has been linked, albeit rather fancifully, has been Sergio “Kun” Aguero, a former club and international team-mate of Maxi’s.

The Argentine striker has admitted his desire to move on from Atletico this summer and Maxi, who spent four years alongside Aguero at the Vicente Calderon, says he can understand the 22-year-old’s decision.

“When (former Atletico and Liverpool striker Fernando) Torres was the captain of the team we were not so good - he really had to drag the side through games,” he continued. “Now Kun probably also feels alone and it is difficult to carry the club by yourself.”

Meanwhile another reported Liverpool target, Rennes winger Sylvain Marveaux, has said he is “certain” he will be playing in the Premier League next season, but admits he does not know with which club.

The 25-year-old is out of contract next month, and has been repeatedly linked with a move to Merseyside. He was at Anfield to watch the Reds’ defeat to Wolves back in December, sparking talk that he would sign a pre-contract agreement.

“I have not chosen. I have not yet signed. What is certain is that next season I will play in England,” Marveaux said.

Read More Maxi Rodriguez says Liverpool FC must secure a return to the Champions League next season - Liverpool FC News - Liverpool FC - Liverpool Daily Post

Agger: I have more to give LFC

31st May 2011 - Latest News

Daniel Agger has outlined his determination to return to pre-season training for Liverpool in stronger condition than ever before.

copy_of_agger_4d8226184ee03820353255.jpg

The Denmark defender missed the final weeks of 2010-11 after sustaining a knock to the tendon behind his knee during the 2-1 defeat at West Bromwich Albion on April 2.

Overall, injuries and illness restricted Agger to just 21 appearances during the campaign and he admits to being a frustrated spectator as his teammates displayed signs of resurgence under Kenny Dalglish.

However, he's worked industriously at Melwood to ensure he's in peak condition to begin pre-season training in July.

Agger told Liverpoolfc.tv: "The injury is coming along okay. It's been really hard the last few weeks, especially when I was on crutches, in a brace and couldn't move.

"I am definitely confident I can come back stronger.

"I know I say this every time, but I have really done everything this time to make every single muscle in my body stronger and I have done everything in the right way.

"If I could do something to make sure I wouldn't get injured again, I would do it no matter what it was.

"Of course, it's always frustrating to be injured, no matter if the team is playing well or poorly.

"There is nobody who is more frustrated than me, but I just have to focus and stay positive."

Agger has suffered more than his fair share of injury setbacks since arriving on Merseyside from Brondby in January 2006 - but the 26-year-old is aiming to put past experiences to good use and ensure he takes every step possible to make certain he's right to return.

"The important thing for me is that I have pre-season to look forward to and I am not in a rush now," said Agger.

"That's been the problem the last few times I have been injured - I've been in a rush to get back. I'd come back early but would get a new injury.

"It's really good for me now that I have all the way until pre-season to get ready."

Agger admits the road to full fitness can sometimes be a lonely one, though there is one thought that has kept his spirits up.

And he's relishing the prospect of a starring in a bright future for Liverpool under Dalglish.

He said: "The toughest part of being injured is trying to stay positive.

"It is nothing compared to being on the pitch at Anfield - being outside is a lot worse and a lot harder.

"I appreciate playing football more. I really, really enjoy playing now.

"I have always enjoyed football, but you appreciate it more when you have been out injured so much. You just enjoy every little minute on the pitch, both in training and in games.

"The memory of the games I've played and thoughts of the future are what have kept me going.

"I know I have a lot more to give to this club if I can keep fit."

BBC Transfer Gossip

Aston Villa's veteran goalkeeper Brad Friedel, 40, is heading for Tottenham, despite interest from Liverpool. He believes he will see more first-team action at White Hart Lane.

Full story: Daily Mirror

Tottenham have slapped a £50m price tag on left-sided player Gareth Bale, who is believed to be a target for Juventus and Inter Milan. However, they will let midfielder Luka Modric go for about £25m - despite denying the Croatian is on his way to Chelsea or Manchester United.

With a clutch of Champions League outfits hovering over Phil Jones, Blackburn manager Steve Kean has warned the young centre-half to expect much less time on the pitch if he makes the move to a bigger club.

Aston Villa winger Ashley Young, a £15m target for Manchester United, will sign for Liverpool instead. (Football writer Ian McGarry on BBC Radio 5 live)

AND FINALLY

Meanwhile, pictures have surfaced on Twitter of Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard celebrating United's defeat by the Spanish giants.

Full story: Daily Mail

(Just the relevant bits)

Edited by aws
rag removed

BBC Transfer Gossip

Aston Villa's veteran goalkeeper Brad Friedel, 40, is heading for Tottenham, despite interest from Liverpool. He believes he will see more first-team action at White Hart Lane.

Tottenham have slapped a £50m price tag on left-sided player Gareth Bale, who is believed to be a target for Juventus and Inter Milan. However, they will let midfielder Luka Modric go for about £25m - despite denying the Croatian is on his way to Chelsea or Manchester United.

With a clutch of Champions League outfits hovering over Phil Jones, Blackburn manager Steve Kean has warned the young centre-half to expect much less time on the pitch if he makes the move to a bigger club.

Aston Villa winger Ashley Young, a £15m target for Manchester United, will sign for Liverpool instead. (Football writer Ian McGarry on BBC Radio 5 live)

AND FINALLY

Meanwhile, pictures have surfaced on Twitter of Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard celebrating United's defeat by the Spanish giants.

Full story: Daily Mail

(Just the relevant bits)

Fixed.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

You know, I kind of don't want Ashley Young either. He's fine, and I'd much prefer him to Downing, but we've had our taste buds wetted by Mata.

Best to take that one out. One of the mods can remove it if your editing time has past.

Edit: Svejk has already commented.

Coentrao? There were a lot of people earlier in the thread hoping we would sign him (or am I missing something?)