You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Yeah, we don't know what's happening there, but I hope it bites them in the ass.

I don't think united will ever fall in deep shit again. They would have a list of buyers all prepared to pay big for them because there the soulless face of English football. I hope a meteorite hits Salford but knowing their luck superman will be in it and signed up before he's picked up his first tractor.

Damn, I'm afraid there domination through my entire teenage and adult years has created a slight bitterness. shame on me.

People are getting a bit carried away here. They will be good, but then that is almost inevitable, isn't it? They are always good. They might well be better than last season, but I don't think it's by any means certain. Jones isn't going to improve them as he won't play all that much, De Gea is not better than Van der Sar at this point, and Young is not better than Nani (and possibly not even better than Valencia or Park). Sneijder, if they get him, will definitely make them stronger in midfield, but then Scholes was playing absolutely brilliantly earlier in the season and even with that they people were saying they weren't that good.

People acting all scared of them is just embarrassing.

What the fuck? Who the fuck is acting scared? They are league champions and we want to challenge them for that title. It's the same reason their has been lots of chat about Fabregas leaving and Chelseas new manager, And City, etc. These are the teams we need to get back up to. Utd have done good business so far, and with an average team last year they got 80 points and won the league. With Sneijder they would significantly improve their midfield and no doubt their chances next season.

Wind your neck in mate. It's a discussion forum. Would you be happier if we all just said that Man Utd are shite and weon't win anything ever again. Does that feel better now?

Jazus.....

We are not even at a point where we have to be "scared" of them. They are MILES above us and we are just rebuilding at the moment.

And they will be MANY MILES above us if they get Snijder to compliment Young. Young will suit them much more than any other team in the country. And Sneijder is just an absolute class act. With Young and Sneijder you are talking about 15 goals and 10-15 assists at least. Its not about being scared, its about being realistic as they both are very very good footballers.

I think your overating Young a bit there mate. He's not better than Nani or Valenica, Jones isn't better than any of the 3 centre halfs in front of him and De Gea isn't better than Van Der Saar.

With the signings they have made so far their first 11 isn't any better but their squad has improved significantly.

They'll be a force next season but I really don't think we'll be anymore than 6-9 points behind them come the end of next season.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

To be fair, I've heard the 'miles above us' argument many times. The league doesn't work on an 'us v them' basis. The reason United could be average and still win the league - against a better Chelsea team - is because they we still good enough to beat teams below them in a consistent fashion. You can only beat a team and get 3 points. You can't get 20pts for being 'miles' above a team.

There's a long way to go before I start giving a fuck about United.

People are getting a bit carried away here. They will be good, but then that is almost inevitable, isn't it? They are always good. They might well be better than last season, but I don't think it's by any means certain. Jones isn't going to improve them as he won't play all that much, De Gea is not better than Van der Sar at this point, and Young is not better than Nani (and possibly not even better than Valencia or Park). Sneijder, if they get him, will definitely make them stronger in midfield, but then Scholes was playing absolutely brilliantly earlier in the season and even with that they people were saying they weren't that good.

People acting all scared of them is just embarrassing.

Scared :D People are discussing the Scums transfers/targets not surprising for you to come out with utter bollocks though.

bollocks, you lot are shit scared...

oooo if they get a guy called wesley they will be awesome and hard to beat and win the league again.....

shut the fuck up the lot of you.

they wont do fuck all in europe with young and jones.....snjieder isnt fucking pele or maradona so they will still get ripped by teams like barca and madrid.

they will beat the shit teams in the prem more convincingly (but they always beat them anyway) but against any of the top 6 teams, they will still struggle.....centre back partnership of jones and smalling?.....im sure there are many forwards who would fancy thier chances against those two.

whats ashley young ever done against the big teams?

fuck them, the gap is closing and they will get shown next year.

To be fair, I've heard the 'miles above us' argument many times. The league doesn't work on an 'us v them' basis. The reason United could be average and still win the league - against a better Chelsea team - is because they we still good enough to beat teams below them in a consistent fashion. You can only beat a team and get 3 points. You can't get 20pts for being 'miles' above a team.

There's a long way to go before I start giving a fuck about United.

spot on.

its their record agaisnt the weaker teams that wins them this league.. its always been that way. they beat them easily and it gives them confidence....that wont change next year.

what is changing is there are now 6 clubs at the top, which means a tricky fixture now happens twice a month, losing these kind of fixtures dents confidence....

they have been losing them, even we beat them last year.

next year will be different because so many teams are so strong, its up to liverpool and city to kick on now and put real pressure on them and the others around them. and we will, and they will crumble.....

its time to put pressure on their new signings. smalling and jones?......don't believe the media hype, they really weren't that good at the u21, and each of them has more than a mistake in his game.

young and valenica?! they can fuck off, against any top 6 team, they wont do shit.

united will not win the league next season, its open for anyone to take.....

i still haven't gotten over the fact that we were offered Snjeider as part of the Alonso deal and turned it down :(

great great player

To be fair if Alonso was to be sold then 32 million was a great deal.

Gerrard was playing in Snejders best position at that stage.

Its that we did with the money afterwards that isnt the good deal.

Sneijder to United still looks pretty hazy. I just read a paper report that says the fee is in the region of 35m. What the fuck?

Jones, Young, De Gea, Sneider - 100m. FFP, anyone?

FFP doesnt count interest payments does it.

Without them they are in the just behind Real Madrid in terms of profit made each season. 100 million wont make a difference.

To be fair if Alonso was to be sold then 32 million was a great deal.

Gerrard was playing in Snejders best position at that stage.

Its that we did with the money afterwards that isnt the good deal.

I imagine there was pressure from on high to get as much cash as possible, rather than a swap. Plus, with swap deals there can be a perception that you are getting the buying team's cast-offs.

However, I would have been happy with Sneijder who I have always rated.

spot on.

its their record agaisnt the weaker teams that wins them this league.. its always been that way. they beat them easily and it gives them confidence....that wont change next year.

what is changing is there are now 6 clubs at the top, which means a tricky fixture now happens twice a month, losing these kind of fixtures dents confidence....

they have been losing them, even we beat them last year.

next year will be different because so many teams are so strong, its up to liverpool and city to kick on now and put real pressure on them and the others around them. and we will, and they will crumble.....

its time to put pressure on their new signings. smalling and jones?......don't believe the media hype, they really weren't that good at the u21, and each of them has more than a mistake in his game.

young and valenica?! they can fuck off, against any top 6 team, they wont do shit.

united will not win the league next season, its open for anyone to take.....

The big difference for us next year could be having a manager that focusses on our own strengths and belief in his own sides ability to win a game rather than always select a side to deal with the oppositions strength. I think we have dropped so many easy points in the past because we have weakened our own sides. We have often tried to play chess when we should of just leg dropped the board.

Two things we need to concentrate on are to:

a) get decent crosses into the box, and

b) get players into the box

We've not done that nearly enough in recent seasons.

It started coming a lot more towards the end of the season which is why Maxi started getting more goals.

Its basics like that which United have relied on for years and ultimately has been the cornerstone to their success. They have never had amazing defences but the sheer amount of chances they create mean they are always a threat.

With Carroll in the middle, every decent cross will cause mayhem and even if he doesnt win the ball, if there are supporting players there to pick up the pieces, it should reap rewards for us.

The big difference for us next year could be having a manager that focusses on our own strengths and belief in his own sides ability to win a game rather than always select a side to deal with the oppositions strength. I think we have dropped so many easy points in the past because we have weakened our own sides. We have often tried to play chess when we should of just leg dropped the board.

yea, thats what happens when we have had 3 negative managers in our last 11-12 years. going to be hard to change some of the mentality of our older players thats for sure.

i think our manager is well up for the challenge and i think he wants to knock them off their fucking perch. i think all the talk will be about winning the league and we will have a relentless approach to that goal over the next 3 seasons.

i think kenny will change the mindset of many of our players and we will re-create that seige mentality that has helped them win the league so many times.

i dont think kenny will settle for 2nd best and i think he will be more ruthless in changing things if they arent working out. he has a standard, and if players dont match up they will be out of the team.

our burning desire, from manager to fans to win this league is what will make the difference. we are as hungry as fegrie was when he took over at united, kenny is the only man he cant play his mind games with, and kenny is a better manager and spots talent better......

he's shit scared of us......trust me.

Two things we need to concentrate on are to:

a) get decent crosses into the box, and

b) get players into the box

We've not done that nearly enough in recent seasons.

It started coming a lot more towards the end of the season which is why Maxi started getting more goals.

Its basics like that which United have relied on for years and ultimately has been the cornerstone to their success. They have never had amazing defences but the sheer amount of chances they create mean they are always a threat.

With Carroll in the middle, every decent cross will cause mayhem and even if he doesnt win the ball, if there are supporting players there to pick up the pieces, it should reap rewards for us.

its really not about getting crosses into the box at all mate......that i such a british media thing to say "whip it in"

do me a fucking favour.

football is about decision making, when to cross, when to run and when to pass it short. sadly we dont have players who make the right decisions and even when they do, they dont have the quality to carry them out.

i agree we need to get more players into the box though, but that starts from keeping the ball better in the right areas to allow men to get forward with confidence.

fuck united success, football has changed, its about creating space, and penetrating that space with pace.....thats what opens the game up. getting in behnd and picking players out rather than just crossing into "danger areas"

thats why united were so shit against barca, they tried to get it out wide bla bla bla....thats all 90's shit now, it doesnt work like that anymore, because central defenders just track the striker and it doesnt matter who is crossing the ball, it just gets cut out.

shit players put the ball in the danger area or "the mixer"

good players use the space their team mates make to create goal scoring chances for team mates, they pick them out. we dont need a guy who can ping a ball onto carrolls head, we need a guy to put the ball where caroll is standing or making a run to.

Edited by raw red

I think people are making too much of the crossing issue. The key with Downing, Henderson and Adam is that they are ball retainers who can help the side keep the ball so we can play our passing game.

Downing is also a pretty dynamic player in that he will show for the ball all over the pitch. Adam will also be making himself available and will be able to adapt to the pass and move style. Henderson I'm not so sure about, the passing is there but he needs to work on his off the ball movement, he'll get there though.

Still want Mata. I think both Arsenal and us aren't keen on his current contract demands. If City get Aguero that will be one bargaining chip down for the Mata crew and I think Arsenal are trying to get us to sew the Downing deal up so they can say that will be us out of the running as well (which it will, unless we can clear the wage bill a bit).

Unless we create a better squad than the Mancs, Chelsea and City, we won't win the league title in the near future ... Anything else is just wishful thinking ...

so unless we are better than them we wont win?

thank fuck your here .....

Why the fuck would Fergie be scared of us? He's beaten our title record, that was the only obsession he had with us. Now that he's beaten it, I don't think he gives a rats. We haven't given him a reason to be scared of us for a very long time, why the hell would next season be different? Because of Kenny? Don't make me laugh.

I still think we're going to win the league.

United could still sign Messi, I don't give a fuck, at the end of the day they are still fallible due to the enormous ego of the manager, and a team that will not gel straight away.

Even if they signed Messi, Barca would still beat them in the CL.

I still think we're going to win the league.

United could still sign Messi, I don't give a fuck, at the end of the day they are still fallible due to the enormous ego of the manager, and a team that will not gel straight away.

Even if they signed Messi, Barca would still beat them in the CL.

Fantastic point. That egotistical cunt of a manager has been holding them back for the last 25 years. They might have actually won something if they'd stuck with Atkinson.