You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

So if we have enough money to spend like it's going out of fashion, it's okay to buy average players for massively inflated fees, and we're supposed to be excited by it because it shows we have money?

That pretty much sums it up for me. £35m or so on two players neither of whom you could be confident in that they'll turn us into title challengers. I expected a bit more to be honest than players who can't get a game ahead of Milner/Barry or Walcott for a mediocre international side.

For this sort of money I'd be wanting proven quality, not potential and definitely not experienced players with question marks against their capability to make the highest grade.

In what planet is Downing a top notch youngster? The man is 27 soon.

Henderson alone for the prices mentioned... I don't rate him very highly, think Shelvey can be better, but I can live with that, he's one of the top English prospects around after all.

It's when you combine it when players like Downing and Adam that the picture starts to look very bleak.

Have we signed Downing or Adam?

In case it escaped you mate, this thread is 234 pages worth of speculation. We're all dipping our toes in silly season here. The links to Henderson, Adam and Downing all seem to be very solid. Granted things aren't always what they seem, but it's all we have to go on right now.

That pretty much sums it up for me. £35m or so on two players neither of whom you could be confident in that they'll turn us into title challengers. I expected a bit more to be honest than players who can't get a game ahead of Milner/Barry or Walcott for a mediocre international side.

For this sort of money I'd be wanting proven quality, not potential and definitely not experienced players with question marks against their capability to make the highest grade.

Spot on

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Have we signed Downing or Adam?

I think I'm on the same page as Ben (and cmuller). It's not about who we have signed, it's about the people we're being linked with. Downing will turn out like Keane, in my opinion; a fair few saying that he's a good British/Irish lad with talent that will kick on when he joins us.

Players like Henderson, or other youngsters, have it all ahead of them. Whether or not they'll justify a massive fee is something that'll play out in time. At least it's easy enough to swallow because there's a possibility that he'll be great over the next decade. Downing doesn't have that.

That said, the Downing link has gone quiet. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad. Still very early days yet. I'm sure there's going to be a few names thrown up over the coming weeks and months, some of which we'll not have even contemplated.

Adam seems to have gone off the radar a bit though no?

It would seem Henderson is now at the top of the midfield list, with perhaps Adam and even Cattermole following. The winger list appears to consist of Hazard, Mata, Young and Downing, depending on reports we've either agreed a fee for Hazard, have offered Young a contract, Downing wants to come here and we've enquired about Mata.

In defence we've got Jones or Dann at centre back and Enrique or Cissokho at left back that we've have made enquiries for.

It will be interesting to see who and how many we get in. I'd imagine Kenny and Comolli have preferences, prices and budgets in mind and we will get our highest preferences where available at prices that are do-able.

We may be overpaying for these players, but they are anything apart from average. They are top notch youngsters that could play for us for a decade.

Big clubs have always overpaid for other clubs best players. Always have and always will. FSG don't look like they're gonna fuck around with transfers and this can only be a good thing.

The owners and Kenny/Damien etc have decided that they are gonna invest in English youth and I completely trust them. It's called investment in their talent and they will hopefully be coached into much more polished players.

They all have kept their cards to their chest and they have no reason to tell even us fans what their plans are for this summer's transfer activity in and out.

If a 37 year old Downing is playing for us in ten years time, then I expect we are playing in the Championship.

And what has Henderson done? Other than be built up by the hype machine due to a derth of young talent in England? He had an average year for Sunderland, so how does that make him anything apart from average?

Wayne Rooney was the last english player who was at least somewhat deserving of the hype. Everyone else since has been overrated.

Dundalis? With respect that's UTTER rubbish mate. Andy Carroll wasn't and Isn't overrated - Theo Walcott, Ashley Young and even Glen Johnson as well; Have All played pretty much as well as their 'hype' said they would (i.e. Good in their positions but not The Very best - Not yet anyway - Young in particular looks quite a gamechanger If the weekend is anything to go by) so for you to come out with a catch-all ridiculously overarching and quite frankly pathetic statement like that about Rooney? Is well, pathetic...........

As far as I can see and I should think to anyone who might be worrying about our targets on here? It is Clear what FSG and the King are doing right now; To those who look properly. It's twofold. Firstly? They're bringing back the Real 'Liverpool Way' this site is named for - You know? The one on Transfers whereby we do (or appear to be doing Nothing) and then BANG!!! 3 or 4 signings including a couple of 'marquees' appear out of the fcuking blue. Secondly? I think that they (Kenny, FSG etc) are trying to - rather than flooding our Academies and Youth systems with foreign youngsters yet again? - To instead do something a Little bit different This time. I think what they've done instead? Is steal the Teachers at Barcelona who brought up, trained the way they did and essentially created the players there who eventually evolved into what they have now; And further to the process (begun under Rafa' don't forget) of all this - They've changed the Entire setup of our younger sides and reserves to concentrate on Ability (and Time with coaches) rather than Winning so as to produce as many gifted players as possible and eventually? Start our own Barca' style 'talent factory' that Will suit us in good stead for years to come.

In short, I think we've established a 'talent school' as it were; One well capable of in the future? Producing us talented, gifted and exciting youngsters by the dozen (who are all confident on the ball and in their own abilities) rather than the odd time in each decade If we're lucky thereby also giving us a way of building, then sustainingThe backbone of our team relatively cheaply compared to the ridiculously massive outlays we've spent and wasted on doing so in the last couple of decades. So essentially? Rather than flood Our Academy with cheap and gifted imports? We'll (probably) end up flooding the English Game as a whole with Our own cheap and gifted youngsters who don't make it but are still very good players thanks to our new Catalan run & directed academy - Meanwhile? Those who do make it? Might just make our team eventually into something like an English Barcelona in both style of play (which is already becoming distinctly continental in our Younger sides) and method of youth development (focused Heavily on skills rather than winning).

Doing This? Is the ONLY way to create a team like Barcelona and it takes more than a while, along with lots of trial and error; However - In our case? It's already been going on for what? 3/4 years now ever since Rafa' beganrestructuring the Academy back in '08 was it? Anyway - The results are already becoming clear - A lot earlier than many thought they would. We've had Robinson, Flanagan, Kelly and Spearing allprove to be First Team Class Players capable of stepping up where necessary now; Together with some Far more exciting talent in the likes of Suso, Sterling, Coady and Morgan waiting in the wings. And all This after What? Gerrard, Carragher, Owen and at a stretch maybe Thompson and Steven Wright in 10 years - This little lot though? Have arrived in less than 4 which goes only to show One thing I think above all else? England or rather it's national side (and it's main current club side if you count those b*stards down the road who are moaning about not having enough timefor their youngsters with coaches - Something we're already addressing) are distinctly LAZY no? We are showing with what we're doing right now at Youth level - That if you Reallywant to do it right and fix what's Reallywrong in the English game as regards bringing youngsters through? (The coaching and philosophy) Then it Can be done and quite well to.

Basically? What Barcelona have done or at least the beginnings of it? CAN Be done over here - We're showing this right now. Where all this takes us mind, should be interesting to the say the least; However? I've a feeling a Lot of our future transfer activity whilst taking care of the First Team's needs primarily? Will be focused on This area and getting the youngest and best talents in the English Game; Most particularly ENGLISH players to the Academy so as to follow the 'Homegrown' and 'Financial Fair Play' rules that are now imminent. Who knows? In the end? Wouldn't it be just like us to be the ones who show England the way to go at Youth level in order to produce Proper footballers; Or maybe we'll provide them with the basis of a Real side in the future from all our recent spadework at Youth level. Who knows what might happen now? One things for sure - our future's certainly looking exciting right now; Either way? Time will tell as to where all this take us, sooner or later? Time will tell.......................

Edited by Redshadow

Nothing coming out of the club and that is how is should be, we have money to spend and at least trust Kenny a bit on how he spends it.

i think a lot of people are going to be surprised this summer and just hope we can land one of Young, Hazard or Mata that will be the hard one. Fingers crossed.

It seems that every player being linked is just pure speculation and the club is keeping its cards close to its chest. All we know is that we are looking for young players with potential and trying to cut the wage bill by getting rid of some of the dross in the squad.

Why are people talking about some links being concrete and others not being? I am sure we have top targets and then back ups and then even more on a list to consider.

Would people stop thinking that the Hazards and the Matas of this world are being overlooked for the like of Downing et al. If we can get the really good young players with potential I am sure we will but we may have to settle for the back ups as other teams are offering a better package. I hope we manage to get players that want to wear the shirt and will turn out like Suarez.

I have faith that Kenny will get the best that is possible.

Danny Wilson's been linked with a loan move back to Rangers. I think it will be good for him. He needs to get some confidence back as he's looked like a deer in the headlights at times for us and he's definitely slipped down the pecking order.

Danny Wilson set for loan return to Rangers as Ally McCoist makes moves to bolster squad - The Daily Record

Jun 6 2011 Colin Duncan; Craig Swan

DANNY WILSON is poised for a shock return to Rangers just a year after his £5 million switch to Liverpool.

Record Sport understands the 19-year-old defender has been offered to the SPL champions on a season-long loan deal.

And with Madjid Bougherra almost certainly heading out of Ibrox this summer Wilson looks to be a ready-made replacement.

The youngster moved to Anfield last July but, hampered by injury, has been unable to hold down a first-team place.

Wilson started just one Premier League game last term and while boss Kenny Dalglish believes the teenager has a big future he has agreed to let him head back north to gain match practice.

Dalglish yesterday upped his offer for Sunderland's England Under-21 midfielder Jordan Henderson by £5m - to £18.5m.

The Liverpool boss hopes to tie up Henderson as a first summer signing before the European Finals start this weekend.

And the deal would quadruple Henderson's salary to more than £60,000 a week, a fact bound to turn the starlet's head.

We all claim that we want the club to do things 'The Liverpool Way', but this thread is a testamant to the fact that we are as gossip hungry as anybody else. Not complaining or slagging anybody off, just making an observation.

As for who we'll buy, out of the names we've been linked with, N'Zogbia is the one that I like. Proven Premiership player, bags of pace and skill, hungry for a chance at the top and still young. Also, a little bit nuts which I personally like.

As for Downing, I think he would be quite a shrewd buy if we could get him at the right price. He's a good crosser of the ball and can go past people, has Premiership experience and, most importantly, is an out and out wide man which will improve the shape of the side. We saw with Riera in 2008 that having a winger that will stay out on the wing can make a real difference to the side, even if said winger is not world class.

I think buying Downing would then give a few years space for Sterling to develop and flourish, at which point Downing gets demoted to squad player or fucked off. We get his replacement for nothing which means any loss we make will be offset.

Easy this management lark.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

£18.5m, wow, Kenny must really think he can become one hell of a player. It also seems like he isn't alone in thinking that, what with Ferguson sniffing around this and last year (and Chelsea previous to that).

Danny Wilson hasn't looked at all bad, but he hasn't excelled. I think part of that is to do with the fact we've had 2 of Carra, Skrtel, Agger and the Greek available most of the time.

A loan move would be great for him, especially if we're bringing in a world class CB.

Rangers were very keen on Wilson staying there on loan last year after we signed him. Makes perfect sense because the lad just isn't playing enough. I have been less than impressed with him at LB but a few Rangers lads I met in Dublin the other week said that there is one hell of a center back in there somewhere so a year's more experience won't do him any harm at all, especially with potential for him to play Champions League too.

Danny Wilson hasn't looked at all bad, but he hasn't excelled. I think part of that is to do with the fact we've had 2 of Carra, Skrtel, Agger and the Greek available most of the time.

A loan move would be great for him, especially if we're bringing in a world class CB.

It's hard to look good or bad from the bench.

Wilson has looked shit as a left back. There is no way anyone could make a judgement on him as a centre half since he's joined us.

A loan to Rangers, playing first team football all season as a centre half makes perfect sense.