You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LA Noire

James

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 1 trophy away from platting this now.

Going on this, the new Grand Theft Auto is going to be absolutely immense.

Any word on when this is coming out? I'm a bit disappointed with LA Noire, it has a lot of good elements, but I think it's all a little too structured. This in my opinion holds the game back and means that it can become quite repetitive at times. Not as bad a game as some are saying mind you...

Not as bad a game as some are saying mind you...

Yes but when a game has cost a fortune to make and is hyped to ridiculous levels then a backlash is understandable. If (p)reviewers hadn't wanked themselves into a frenzy over its release then those of us who felt ripped off/disappointed with La Noire wouldn't have much cause for complaint.

It's disingenuous to compare this game unfavourably with GTA and Red Dead because it's quite obviously a different genre - the pisser is that Rockstar have tried to sell it as otherwise. Fair enough, if you judge it on its own merits - as opposed to the latest iteration of the R* 'model' - then it's a perfectly acceptable game, but to hail it as "groundbreaking", "classic" and "a masterpiece" (OPS3M were tossing these words about from an early stage) is crazy talk. Heavy Rain did it first and did it better. Hell, even the recent Telltale Back To The Future game did it better and that was average as fuck.

Yes but when a game has cost a fortune to make and is hyped to ridiculous levels then a backlash is understandable. If (p)reviewers hadn't wanked themselves into a frenzy over its release then those of us who felt ripped off/disappointed with La Noire wouldn't have much cause for complaint.

Yea that's a very fair point, they built it up way too much beforehand unfortunately. I have to say, I really didn't like Heavy Rain though, I would definitely prefer LA Noire to that.

Finished it today and if I'm honest I'm really underwelmed by this game, the ending mission sums it up. Far, far too easy for the ending.

Very samey game that felt like hard work in places as you're constantly doing the same things on each case or crime scene. Didn't like the fact you couldn't have multiple stories going on at the same time and just had to concentrate on what the game was telling you to do.

For Rockstar's biggest game it seemed way to limited in where you could go and what you could do at any given time.

Not a patch on Red Dead Redemption, stunning graphics but the gameplay and structure let it down.

7/10

This is where i differ from many people on here in that i never got into RDR but loved this game.

I will agree in that its a shame you were on rails and unable to free roam and it would have been great if Rockstar could have included that in once you had completed the game you could then set about exploring what is a vast city rather then only able to do the missions again.

Graphically its superb but the problem is a lot of people want action instantly and when this is not forthcoming it sets the mood for the rest of the game.

If this is Rockstars first game using their new facial capture software then i look forward to future releases.

People seem to be talking as if all of Rockstar's games are developed by the same people when they all come from different divisions within the company. LA Noire wasn't even developed by a Rockstar owned developer, Team Bondi aren't owned by them. Just because Rockstar publishes these games it doesn't mean you should expect a similar experience.

People seem to be talking as if all of Rockstar's games are developed by the same people when they all come from different divisions within the company. LA Noire wasn't even developed by a Rockstar owned developer, Team Bondi aren't owned by them. Just because Rockstar publishes these games it doesn't mean you should expect a similar experience.

You're right of course but the problem with this game is that the publisher has marketed it as a similar experience. That's why the emperor has been caught naked, and people are laughing behind their hands.

This is where i differ from many people on here in that i never got into RDR but loved this game.

I will agree in that its a shame you were on rails and unable to free roam and it would have been great if Rockstar could have included that in once you had completed the game you could then set about exploring what is a vast city rather then only able to do the missions again.

Graphically its superb but the problem is a lot of people want action instantly and when this is not forthcoming it sets the mood for the rest of the game.

If this is Rockstars first game using their new facial capture software then i look forward to future releases.

Same for me.

And you can free roam at any point by the way, go on Cases on the main screen and at the bottom of every case (homicide, vice etc) there's a free roam option.

Same for me.

And you can free roam at any point by the way, go on Cases on the main screen and at the bottom of every case (homicide, vice etc) there's a free roam option.

To do what though? Just roam around? There's nothing outside the story, it almost seems pointless to have such a good looking landscape to play in and to have your options so narrow.

I got lucky when trading it in, I seem to have been served by someone that was less that comptetent and ended up swapping it for a game worth a fiver more and they've put £14 on my card. Not a bad deal.

To do what though? Just roam around? There's nothing outside the story, it almost seems pointless to have such a good looking landscape to play in and to have your options so narrow.

Yeah, that's true. At least in GTA and RDR when you were looking for collectibles you could cause a bit of mayhem if you got bored. In LA Noire, you can't draw your gun, punch people or do anything remotely entertaining.

I'm still looking around for film reels and got so pissed off with my partner constantly following me around then threatening me for leaving him that I got in a car and reversed over him about 10 times...didn't seem to slow him down much though.

Very frustrating.

I don't think it can be compared to GTA or Red Dead. It's a totally different idea and type of game, don't think it was meant to be anything like them.

I enjoyed the game but it's not really something I would sit and play through again or anything that would make me want to buy the DLC missions. If they do an L.A. Noire 2 have to say it wouldn't be a release day or pre order thing for me I would be waiting for it to come down in price or buying it second hand later.

Struck me as being like the old point and lick Amiga/ST era games or the really earlier text command (LOOK AT) Spectrum type of games just with good graphics and the odd action section with the chases. I used to like those games which is probably why I got into this.

Would definitely say though for all I did enjoy it that like a lot of games at the moment it was nowhere near the level the games reviewers seemed to place it at.

I got lucky when trading it in, I seem to have been served by someone that was less that comptetent and ended up swapping it for a game worth a fiver more and they've put £14 on my card. Not a bad deal.

Collectables and side missions and that.

Agreed though it's not as good as GTA where you can do whatever you want while doing the extra bits.

• 2 weeks later...

Again i'll say it, the reviewers need reviewing.

Because there's no way this game should ever have had anywhere near the scores it's somehow managed to get.

Any reviewer that ever gave this more than 3.5/5 - 8/10 should have their fucking hands chopped off and be lobotomised to improve their intelligence.