You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I think Ancelotti will go with a diamond in midfield with Anelka at the tip of it and Drogba up front with Kalou or our former no.9. This is what he did v Sunderland midweek and the formation he played in Istanbul (and his favoured formation) and it was not until we went 3 at the back that we were able to deal with it.

I'd go with

Pepe

Skrtel Kyrgi Agger

Kelly Lucas Johnson

Gerrard Meireles

Suarez Kuyt

The only problem is that they could change it to a 433 very easily and that could leave us with a problem with 3v3 at the back

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rip ya hand off for a point. Defeat will be painful and Torres scoring may be just too much to bear.

Would you rather...

... Torres picked up a knock and didn't play?

... Torres got kicked out of the game at the expense of a Carra/ Gerrard red card?

... or Torres plays, and doesn't get into the game. Nullified.

I'd go number three...

Shape isn't as important as HOW we play. Pressing their backs and forcing them to go direct negates much of their midfield play. If Sunderland could do that, we can. I think we've got better players to do that in Kuyt and Meireles and Suarez, and we still have the ability to keep the ball and go at them. I can't see lady-boy enjoying that kind of game on his debut, but it gives Carra, Skrtel, Agger and Kyrgi (whomever plays) plenty of chances to kick the piss out of him...

I think Ancelotti will go with a diamond in midfield with Anelka at the tip of it and Drogba up front with Kalou or our former no.9. This is what he did v Sunderland midweek and the formation he played in Istanbul (and his favoured formation) and it was not until we went 3 at the back that we were able to deal with it.

I'd go with

Pepe

Skrtel Kyrgi Agger

Kelly Lucas Johnson

Gerrard Meireles

Suarez Kuyt

The only problem is that they could change it to a 433 very easily and that could leave us with a problem with 3v3 at the back

A diamond 4-4-2 including Anelka is basically a 1 striker formation because Anelka loves dropping deep so much.

1 striker formations and, as you noted, 4-3-3s are very effective against 3 at the back. So it would be foolish to play that.

...................Reina...................

Kelly.......Skrtel.....Agger......Johnson

............Lucas.......Gerrard............

Maxi.............Meireles..........Suarez

.....................Kuyt.....................

I like that team a lot. I'll go with that.

Shape isn't as important as HOW we play. Pressing their backs and forcing them to go direct negates much of their midfield play. If Sunderland could do that, we can. I think we've got better players to do that in Kuyt and Meireles and Suarez, and we still have the ability to keep the ball and go at them. I can't see lady-boy enjoying that kind of game on his debut, but it gives Carra, Skrtel, Agger and Kyrgi (whomever plays) plenty of chances to kick the piss out of him...

I think you're right and ultimately that's what Roy never got: how we play will always be more important than shape- in many ways, Rafa succumbed to this too IMO.

To all the shithouses sayin "Id take a point" fuck off and go and support someone else

Well, there's supporting your team, and then there's blind optimism...

From the BBC preview:

Head-to-head

• Liverpool have failed to score on five of their last six Premier League visits to Stamford Bridge. Their only win and goal at Chelsea since 2004 was 1-0 in October 2008 when Jose Bosingwa scored an own goal.

• It is nine hours and 57 minutes since a Liverpool player last scored in the league at Chelsea - Bruno Cheyrou netting the only goal of the match in January 2004.

I'd take a point as well btw, don't see anything wrong with that. If we win, brilliant, but I suspect they are as up for this as we are, and we historically do not play well there, hence the relative modesty in demand for point(s)

Well, there's supporting your team, and then there's blind optimism...

From the BBC preview:

Head-to-head

• Liverpool have failed to score on five of their last six Premier League visits to Stamford Bridge. Their only win and goal at Chelsea since 2004 was 1-0 in October 2008 when Jose Bosingwa scored an own goal.

• It is nine hours and 57 minutes since a Liverpool player last scored in the league at Chelsea - Bruno Cheyrou netting the only goal of the match in January 2004.

I'd take a point as well btw, don't see anything wrong with that. If we win, brilliant, but I suspect they are as up for this as we are, and we historically do not play well there, hence the relative modesty in demand for point(s)

Alonso's goal.

It's a bloody football pitch, with a shitty home atmosphere, we need to be loud and proud and we can win this game! We have to believe we can!! If we havnt scored there since 2004 that only tells me it's about time we will!

Reina

Kelly carra agger aurelio

Lucas

Gerrard merieles

Cole Suarez

Kuyt

----------------------Reina----------------------

-----------Carra------Soto--------Agger---------

Kelly-------------Lucas-------Gerrard--------GI Jo

---------------------Meireles---------------------

---------------Kuyt-----------Suarez-------------

This, I can imagine. Or a simple 4-3-3 with the top 3 interchanging.

It'll be interesting to see how they line up and who Torres replaces. Anelka has been in very good form recently so it might be a blessing in disguise if he is left out. We will have to make sure we don't give away any stupid fouls in dangerous areas because Ivanovic and Terry are a pain in the arse from set pieces. They also seem to get a lot of penalties so we want to make sure that we're not in the same position we were in the game against the Mancs. Their goals come from all over the team so we're going to have to be very solid at the back and take our chances when they come. I'll be very impressed if we beat them in the form they're in at the moment.