You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The transfer reflection thread.

Fugitive

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Babel was a lost cause so whatever money we got for him was a bonus.

Torres is a massive blow but for £50m for a sulky, unprofessional cunt is good business.

Suarez and Carroll are massive risks but Carroll in particular come become a Liverpool legend, he's perfect for this league and under the guidance of Kenny he could become a real star. Made with the signing. I haven't seen much of Suarez to comment.

We could have done with some new defenders but this season is a right off to be honest. Hopefully more money will be spent in the summer.

Good days work. We held out for the fee we wanted and didn't back down or take unwanted makeweights. We have signed two young and very promising forwards and although we paid a little over the odds for Carroll that's just how it was going to be with whoever we went for as our desperation was well known.

Agreed although a decent winger would have been good

I'm fairly happy with what we've done. as with most things we'll feel we could have done better and if Blackpool weren't such utter cunts we probably would've done.

as for shape I guess we'll continue much the same way but with Suarea playing off Carroll who is much better at holding up play than Torres was. Carroll will probably be a lot better at bringing people into play as well, not too mention scaring the shit out of defenders.

The annoying factor is not getting a LB in we're definately weak there now after bombing out Konchesky. it puts a lot on the shoulders of Johnson and Kelly if Aurelio falls over a blade of grass.

As for the future I think these signing prove that we're definately going to see a shift in mentality with emphasis on Teams worrying about us rather than us worrying about them. which is how it should be.

We did however leave it a bit late to make a charge for Young.

The fees involved were very high but that's due to the way the window went. Everyones valuation seemed to be huge and with the rat going, I dont think we had much of a choice. We now have more options upfront and I'm very confident these two can go on and be a fantastic partnership.

It's also shown that the owners are willing to pay large fees on individual players.

Madnes total fucking Madness in the current climate how can this type of money be justified to employ people to play a game the world has gone fucking mad

At one time i was able to laugh at the kind of money R Madrid and A C Millan etc would be paying for players then we had Chelsea and again I could laugh Man City and United joined in and again we could take the high ground

but today we just joined the mad house

I am a realist and understand that you have to pay this kind of money to compete at the level we want to compete at but it cant be justified not by me anyway madness

Personally, I would have liked a centre half and a left back to have joined in the window but I suppose, with Carra returning and Johnson so far (touch wood) doing an OK job so far, they can wait until the summer.

I would also have liked to have seen Charlie Adam join the club, but we were right to stick to our guns and not pay over the odds for a player with 18 months on his contract.

I'm very happy with Suarez and Carroll. I'm not particularly happy with the money we shelled out for the latter, but we were always going to be looking at paying over the odds for a replacement for the rat when he left us up shit creek and every other football club became aware of our predicament. It is a gamble, but I'm confident that he and Suarez can form a decent partnership (I doubt we'll see a 4-4-2, perhaps Suarez playing the role of a deep lying striker or tucked in on one of the flanks). I can't remember what Newcastle game I was watching this season (think it might have been the game against Villa when he scored a hat-trick), but I remarked to my mate that he looked a player very much in the Drogba mould. From that game, he's pretty much gone from strength to strength and I hope he can kick on in a red shirt.

Onwards and upwards I say!

This looks a pretty dangerous 4-3-3 to me.

...Reina...

Kelly...Carra...Agger...Johnson

...Lucas...

Meireles...Gerrard

Maxi/Kuyt/Cole...Carroll...Suarez

Tucked in attacking forwards, width from the fullbacks. Alternatively Aurelio as our LB and Johnson up front as an out and out right winger. Which would be tactically quite similar to Kenny's fabled team of the 80s.

To get the best out of our new no. 9, this summer we better buy some good, old fashioned wingers.

Pace, skill, dribbling. Front a full back up, drop the shoulder, skin the fucker, get to the bye line and then cross or cut the ball back, the old fashioned way.

The last proper winger we had who could do this was Johnny Barnes. Harry Kewell, Mark Gonzales, Jermaine Pennant and Dirk Kuyt do not count.

not sure yet. Need to see carroll in a red shirt b4 I make my mind up. We have not fcuked about though and spent the money. Torres is a huge huge lose. but not so much on his performances this season. I am excited about the summer, few more good signings, clear out some more shite and we will have a good team once again

Things are looking good

I was impressed the way we went about the Suarez signing, we stood our ground and got them to drop their price and its what i wanted to see in our new owners. However that was all shat on by the Carroll signing, absolutley crazy money for a player thats not in the World class bracket. Don't get me wrong i think Carroll is a beast of a player and a possible future World class but possible is the important word as he could ruin it all with his temperment. He comes across as a cocky nasty piece of work and he needs to turn his life around at this club. The money spent is a massive risk because he could easily end up in jail on his next night out, one more bit of trouble and the judge will come down hard on him. Hope to fuck this works out as he is an excellent player.

Mixed feelings for me, after a bit of deliberation i feel the Carroll/Suarez teaming could be a real leap forward from the more single-minded play we occasionally employed with Nando. Overall good work, but then FSG needed to show they were serious in getting us on track after selling arguably the worlds best striker to Roman's cock jockeys...

As far as Carroll's value - no i don't think he's a £35m striker - yet - but if that's what FSG are willing to pay, and it doesnt rinse the summer war chest, then what the fuck does it matter how much we spunk on him. Andy seems to fit the criteria FSG want in our next-gen players, so bring it on.

Still very disappointed in Nando's behaviour and the way he conducted himself in this saga. He had a golden chance to be an all-time great at one of the most historic clubs in world football, but he blew it, and that is a great shame. Still can't bring myself to watch him in a Chelsea shirt.

Hope Carra's shoulder is ok on Sunday cos Nando's gonna get it in his fuckin chops...

It does seem suited to a 4-3-3 but it will require some support and discipline from Raul and Gerrard to help Lucas which I doubt they will give.

I would be half tempted to play Gerrard on the right of the three and bring in Poulson with Lucas alongside Raul. Ideally we would have a better quality destroyer but as needs must.

i dont know why the fuck everyone is banging on about the money? do you think the club are going to go round knocking door giving it back to season ticket holders or something? NO

Some of you are harping on like NESV are sticking thier hand in your pocket for it. lunacy!

Has the club suddenly been plunged into masses of debt? NO

Financially we have never been better so please shut the fuck up about the money, be happy we are now in the hands of owners who can break the british transfer record. im fucking extatic! we spent what? 1M? and brought in two exciting young players for a sulky backstabbing bollox.

cunts that moan and moan about the money should be negged to oblivion becasue its pointless.

i think taking carroll out of his environment at newcastle will cool his heels, remember hes a geordie surrounded by his geordie mates up there. hell hopefully not be surrounded by the same temptation. Taking Joey barton out of liverpool has calmed him down no end.

i dont know why the fuck everyone is banging on about the money? do you think the club are going to go round knocking door giving it back to season ticket holders or something? NO

Some of you are harping on like NESV are sticking thier hand in your pocket for it. lunacy!

Has the club suddenly been plunged into masses of debt? NO

Financially we have never been better so please shut the fuck up about the money' date=' be happy we are now in the hands of owners who can break the british transfer record. im fucking extatic! we spent what? 1M? and brought in two exciting young players for a sulky backstabbing bollox.

cunts that moan and moan about the money should be negged to oblivion becasue its pointless.[/quote']

is correct - it felt fucking great to have our club surrounded in all the day's big dealings. We got rid of a sulky lying can't be arsed cunt and replaced him with two players who just might turn out to be awesome. Those types of deals are worth risking, rather than the bollox <£15m shite we've bought in recent years

Strangely Im feeling quite optimistic.

As soon as Torres handed in the transfer request, I wanted him out. The Carroll fee was obscene, and 15m too high. But still I feel we are in a better shape now than we were a week ago.

It`s probably the Kenny effect, but had anyonme a month ago told me we were going to sell Torres to Chelsea, I would have been devastated. But, so far, I dont really give a shit. I may change opinion as soon as I see him wearing blue.

Im glad we reacted quickly when it was clear he wanted out. Still concerned about the lack of pace in our squad, that needs adressing in the summer.

I think we have done well,we have over payed for Carroll but if it gives him and Suarez time to gel in the last few months of the year it could be worth the extra payed.

You dont want to many players trying to gel at the same time so if we can get the defenders and wide player needed in the summer we will be in a good position to try and regain the champions league places