You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shelvey so far..

escapepods

He's just a kid. He's acquitted himself well almost every time he's played, but he still he has a lot of learning to do. He's highly rated by the King it would seem. I'd play him ahead of Poulsen.

I'd play you ahead of Poulsen mate.

BTW I really will send you a long-overdue e-mail in the next day or two.

As far as Shelvey is concerned, he's got a long way to go, that's for sure. His attitude looks good but then again if you can't get fired up playing for Liverpool at his age you're never going to make it in the game. As far as his ability is concerned, he hasn't impressed me anything like as much as Kelly, for example, but I don't consider that I've seen anything like enough of him to make a judgment one way or the other on whether he's eventually going to be a player for us. Kenny obviously sees something in him, even if it's only that he's not as shit as Poulsen, so I guess we have to trust the great man for now.

Fuck me. People complain about the kids not getting games and are already writing off players because they are not Gerrard.

From what I've seen he's comfortable in possession and can play short or long passes relatively well. He is still raw but he is only 18 coming into a side which has been lacking confidence for 6 months.

These ppls expect the young kids to do a "Gerrard" performance whenever they're on the pitch. (Must have pace, strong, skillful, technique watever) Gimme a break! He's 18, raw but with great potential and i am happy kenny's giving young kids a chance.

Been relatively impressed by Shelvey so far. Plenty of natural ability to work on. Maybe lacking that burst of pace that would be beneficial in todays game but its by no means essential.

He's still very young and didnt even really play too many games for Charlton. Its a big leap from a handful of League 1 games to Premiership football.

Very promising and if coached in the right way I think we could have a very good player on our hands.

I think a loan move is best for him right now. Send him out to Blackpool or a high placed Championship side, he needs the experience. Im all for giving kids a chance..

Martin Kelly has excelled since being in the side, and hes a special player and made himself unshiftable right now. Can you really see Shelvey doing the same? I just feel he offers nothing right now in the first team. Hes young, raw, and not up to the speed of the Premier league, and yes you could argue he needs games to get used to that.. but the games should'nt be for Liverpool.

There is no harm in sending him out to a club, who will play him week in, week out. He will then return to the club having more game experience and could then be worthy of a place on the bench. I just doubt the point in having his cameo roles right now. Each to their own i guess!