You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you want Roy Hodgson to be fired today?

Thants

Do you want Roy Hodgson to be sacked today?  

352 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Roy Hodgson to be sacked today?

95%: The Empire of the Kop drew more than 4,300 replies

Only 95%? I'm sure we can improve on that

Do the fans want LFC to start 2011 without Mr Roy Hodgson?

Poll ends end of 1st Jan 2011

Roy Hodgson in peril as anger of Liverpool fans alarms owners | Football | The Guardian

Roy Hodgson in peril as anger of Liverpool fans alarms owners

Liverpool's manager, Roy Hodgson, can barely watch as his team lose 1-0 to Wolves at Anfield. Photograph: Peter Byrne/PA

Liverpool's American owners are running out of patience with Roy Hodgson amid fears that the manager's relationship with the club's supporters has broken down irretrievably.

Despite the fact that in one poll 95% of Liverpool fans wanted Hodgson to be sacked immediately after last night's 1-0 home defeat by Wolverhampton Wanderers, there appears to be no great appetite for regime change. John W Henry and Tom Werner of New England Sports Ventures are prepared to give Hodgson more time after six torturous months.

However, Henry has already labelled performances this season "unacceptable" and the next three games – against Bolton Wanderers and Blackburn Rovers in the league and Manchester United in the FA Cup – are likely to be critical to Hodgson's chances of surviving until the summer, when his position will be reviewed.

Henry and Werner, who run the Fenway Sports Group, through which NESV controls Liverpool, are understood to be concerned by the breakdown in relations between fans and the manager. A poll on the Liverpool website The Empire of the Kop drew more than 4,300 replies, with 95.5% of respondents answering yes to the question: "Do you want Roy Hodgson to be fired today?"

His win rate of 41% is almost exactly the same as that achieved by Graeme Souness during his time at Anfield and is the poorest by any Liverpool manager since Bill Shankly created the modern club. The defeat by Wolves, which Hodgson considered Liverpool's worst performance of a dismal season, was dominated by ironic chants of "Hodgson for England" and by calls for Kenny Dalglish to take over.

That latter scenario is unlikely to arise even if Hodgson is fired. Given his impassioned loyalty to Liverpool, Dalglish would be unlikely to refuse an offer to return to the job he quit in 1991. However, his candidacy to replace Rafael Benítez in the summer was rejected almost out of hand by the then managing director, Christian Purslow, and his successors are acutely aware that recalling a man who has been out of frontline football since a brief spell as Celtic's caretaker manager more than a decade ago would create more problems than it would solve.

Fenway has no desire to install an interim manager and if Dalglish were unable to pull Liverpool out of their tailspin it would tarnish his glittering reputation and that of the board. If Dalglish were a qualified success, he may block Fenway's plans to bring in a young, long-term manager.

The former Barcelona manager Frank Rijkaard is the favourite, although Hodgson has pointed out that the Dutchman's last job at Galatasaray ended in failure. The Marseille coach, Didier Deschamps, who was interviewed for the post of Liverpool manager in the summer, has moved to distance himself from fresh speculation linking him with Anfield. He has let it be known he would not welcome an approach while Marseille are still in the Champions League and that his long-term aim is to manage the French champions when they move into a refurbished Stade Vélodrome in 2014.

While recognising his position is precarious, Hodgson, who was voted the League Managers Association's manager of the year last season, insisted he still retained the support of a dressing-room that often failed to give Benítez its wholehearted backing. "I am lucky in that the support I have had has been from the players and from within the club," Hodgson said. "I haven't had a lot of support from the fans since I have been here. The fans have not been happy with what they have seen in the whole of 2010 and since I have come here we haven't won enough games to keep them happy.

"That is the way of football. When you take on any job, especially a big job like this, and results do not go the way you want, especially at home, you are going to be a target for disapproval."

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's completely out of his depth. And the Wolves game was breaking point. The sad thing is, despite Marina Dalglish's twitter, he really isn't a very nice man either. The more you look at his history of quotes and interviews, the more you find somebody who is living in his self-created delusion. I didn't expect great things of him, but he's turned out far worse than I ever thought he would.

Sorry, but I'm for cutting him loose.

He's completely out of his depth. And the Wolves game was breaking point. The sad thing is, despite Marina Dalglish's twitter, he really isn't a very nice man either. The more you look at his history of quotes and interviews, the more you find somebody who is living in his self-created delusion. I didn't expect great things of him, but he's turned out far worse than I ever thought he would.

Sorry, but I'm for cutting him loose.

he has been used, he was brought in as a lame duck but now its time for the duck to be put out of its misery.

I do concur though 100% otherwise.

So that article disqualifies Rijkaard cause he is a failure and states that Didier Deschamps won't be available for us until 2015. Man ffs!

Dalglish and Rafa are not encouraged and Villas Boas signed a new contract. Who is fucking available for us if and when this guy gets fired?

I never wanted Rafa gone and I certainly never wanted him replaced with this mediocrity. But, once he was in place I was prepared to call for Roy to be given everything a Liverpool manager deserves - support, respect and patience.

All my patience has now gone and I want Hodgson gone too - before he can do any more damage.

77-0 and counting.

Fuck off, Dickhead.

I dont think Thants will send it to Henry as some kind of evidence for how wonderful Rafa is so I have no problem adding my vote seeing I did not want him anywhere near the club in the first place.

How someone who have just won 1 game away from home in the league can be voted manager of the year is a more intriguing question than this though?

Again I blame the media for his appointement and especially those Liverpool fans working here who did not put their finger on the fuckin obvious during the summer.

I never wanted Rafa gone and I certainly never wanted him replaced with this mediocrity. But, once he was in place I was prepared to call for Roy to be given everything a Liverpool manager deserves - support, respect and patience.

All my patience has now gone and I want Hodgson gone too - before he can do any more damage.

77-0 and counting.

Fuck off, Dickhead.

Agree entirely, though he has been used as an expendable 'manager'. I even continued to have some sympathy for him until last night because of that, but I just hate him now.