You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PDC World Dart Championship 2011

The Golden Eel

You can though, and he has. He hasn't won the last 2 majors (beaten by Lewis and Beaton) and him and Wade were dumped out of the WC by Spain in the first round. Then he comes out in the first game of the Worlds and throws a 89 average when a year ago he'd been throwing 105 almost every game and was basically unbeatable. It not the same at the minute though - it's about form.

He may well win it again, but at 11/10 he's a poor bet.

With all respect mate, Taylor will more than likely make you eat humble pie, everyone has bad days at the office he is too good to write off, so he didn't win the last two majors, Lewis and Beaton, two very good players, produced really good performances to beat him, he didn't play badly in those tournaments.

He has started plenty tournaments slowly, averages don't mean everything you've got to hit doubles to win matches.

I will be very surprised if he doesnt raise his game from here on in.

I'm not saying put your money on Taylor it not worth it unless you've got enough spare cash for a high stake.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any game that can be played in pub and it's acceptable to get pissed while playing is not a sport. Phil Taylor up for Sports Personality of the year is just wrong.

Sport isn't purely about physical fitness it's about skill, mental strength and ability, dedication etc etc

Take snooker for example, you can drink and play snooker to high level as proven by some of the greats who have played the sport but you wouldn't get there without hours of practice and dedication and will to win.

It's a crap argument saying darts isn't a sport. In that case McCoy only sits on a horse and guides it, so effectively the horse wins the race, same principal with motor racing.

Sport isn't purely about physical fitness it's about skill, mental strength and ability, dedication etc etc

Take snooker for example, you can drink and play snooker to high level as proven by some of the greats who have played the sport but you wouldn't get there without hours of practice and dedication and will to win.

It's a crap argument saying darts isn't a sport. In that case McCoy only sits on a horse and guides it, so effectively the horse wins the race, same principal with motor racing.

Put it this way archery and shooting are olympic sports and there is more skill involved in darts arguably as you arent using a mechanism to propel the dart to the board it's purely hand eye co-ordination

Put it this way archery and shooting are olympic sports and there is more skill involved in darts arguably as you arent using a mechanism to propel the dart to the board it's purely hand eye co-ordination

I would not class those as sports either. In fact, you could probably scrap at least a quater of the events at the Olympics based on my non-sport clampdown. I'd call them hobbies, not sports.

I'm deffo gonna get shot down for this but darts is probably the only true working class 'sport' that's left.

Footy was taken from us about 15 years ago, golf has always been the domain of small-minded middle-class twats, (I hate all the rules and regulations surrounding golf; what you can and can't wear, the hoops you've got to jump through to join a club, stand up when the captain enters the bar etc, etc - who do these cunts think they are?) and the likes of cricket, tennis and rugby (union) are generally the preserve of public schoolboys.

Fuck it, I love walking into a pub, ordering a pint and getting my 'arrers' out. And before anyone asks, I'm not a fat cunt - I'm 6' 3" and weigh 12 stone (too fucking skinny if anything!).

I would not class those as sports either. In fact, you could probably scrap at least a quater of the events at the Olympics based on my non-sport clampdown. I'd call them hobbies, not sports.

Well he has just come runner up in sports personality of the year and a whole host of sports people, stevie g, Andrew flintoff, Ronnie O'Sullivan etc dont agree with your crap logic.

I'm deffo gonna get shot down for this but darts is probably the only true working class 'sport' that's left.

Footy was taken from us about 15 years ago, golf has always been the domain of small-minded middle-class twats, (I hate all the rules and regulations surrounding golf; what you can and can't wear, the hoops you've got to jump through to join a club, stand up when the captain enters the bar etc, etc - who do these cunts think they are?) and the likes of cricket, tennis and rugby (union) are generally the preserve of public schoolboys.

Fuck it, I love walking into a pub, ordering a pint and getting my 'arrers' out. And before anyone asks, I'm not a fat cunt - I'm 6' 3" and weigh 12 stone (too fucking skinny if anything!).

This man knows what he is talking about.

Guest ShoePiss

From Wiki :- A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means.

Rules out watching Liverpool then.

No, but great sports people generally appreciate other great sports people as they know what it takes to achieve great things.

I'm guessing the only thing your good at is talking.

We may as well start classing Poker as a sport based on your criteria as the top players practice constantly and take a long time to get to a high standard.

And I'm not talking, I'm typing.

Any game that can be played in pub and it's acceptable to get pissed while playing is not a sport. Phil Taylor up for Sports Personality of the year is just wrong.

Why isn't it a sport? Archery is an Olympic sport, so is shooting (in various categories).

Snooker has always been seen as a sport, so why not darts.

Then again, I never heard people saying ice dancing wasn't a sport when Torvill & Dean, Robin Cousins etc were winning gold medals.

Top and bottom is that you have to use your skills to outscore an opponent = a sport. Tony McCoy just got awarded for riding on faster horses than his mates, go figure.*

* tongue in cheek but you catch my drift.

Every sport can be played in a pub just not as successfully as Darts or Pool.

Re: this guy. Thanks for the neg, much appreciated.

Re: Taylor/Elrobbie. I haven't said he won't win it. At no point did I say that, so I won't be eating humble pie or whatever it is. I will only be doing that were he come out all of a sudden and start throwing 110 averages regularly during the tournament. It might happen, of course, but the evidence suggests otherwise. That's all I'm saying. This year more than in previous years, bar 2008, he's not at his best. It's really not arguable...

Re: this guy. Thanks for the neg, much appreciated.

Re: Taylor/Elrobbie. I haven't said he won't win it. At no point did I say that, so I won't be eating humble pie or whatever it is. I will only be doing that were he come out all of a sudden and start throwing 110 averages regularly during the tournament. It might happen, of course, but the evidence suggests otherwise. That's all I'm saying. This year more than in previous years, bar 2008, he's not at his best. It's really not arguable...

So, he won the last World Championship, the World Matchplay, the Premier League and hit two nine darters in the final, European Championship, UK Open, US Open and was on target to win every single major until the Grand Prix and Grand Slam, and you think he hasn't been at his best?