You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't m ind if people want to use Gerrard in different positions - that is fine.

But I just think it is bollocks to say he can't play centre midfield.

I also think he has be fine when used in centre midfield this season. Brilliant in some games, such as Man U away.

I actually don't mind Gerrard in CM. While it is true that when he played in that position he tried to do "everything" and there may be some truth in the view that he was tactically indisciplined when playing in CM, a view held by Rafa; that's also due to that fact, too often, he had to compensate for the deficiencies of his team mates, creatively etc, rather than focus solely on his role. I think that's to his credit, rather than a a strike against him. Even though they weren't exactly the same types of players, I think Gerrard can do everything Roy Keane could do, one of the best ever CM, better, as CM. Even heard a Manc say that!

He can only operate as a CM with a true defensive monster to clean up his mistakes.

Rubbish.

Get a top holding midfielder - Like Hamann and Gerrard would thrive in centre midfield.

All this Gerrard can't play as part of a midfield two is becoming rather tiresome. Yes it is all about balance and getting the right blend but I just think it is a perpetual myth which has gathered pace even more recently based on nothing from what I have seen this season. He played there against Bolton recently and produced the pass of the season for Torres to score for instance.

In home games we are expected to win I would play him there all day long if we have quality out wide and up front to supplement his ability which we really haven't had for some time now. I can understand away from home in difficult games the possible need to move him further forward and have a slightly more defensive outlook.

I will be interested how Stevie refines his role in the side as he gets older. Will he become more of a sitter sort of like Scholes is for United now for instance as he has the passing ability to do that role.

Luis Suarez and Ashley Young would be 2 great acquisitions in this window and would help transform our attacking play. I really hope that we can get both of them and it would be a major statement of intent from the owners. Warnock on loan to compete for the left back position with Aurelio would be a good move, and I also think we desperately need a commanding centre half in this window as well.

If we sign Suarez then I would like to see Gerrard drop deeper into midfield, and for us to sign a holding midfielder like Yann M'Vila in the summer, and another attacking player like Eden Hazard to play on the right hand side.

Torres

Young/Downing Suarez Gerrard

The three behind would be fluid, all moving about throughout the game

It would be boss

What about the undroppable Kuyt?

I agree so play him in an attacking role behind Torres.

He isn't great in a 2 man centre midfield imo.

He'd be fine if we had a powerful, smart, DM in there to shore up the gaps.

Who could tackle, not be brushed aside, and distribute quickly, simply and accurately.

So we should buy one, and that way, we wouldn't have to play TWO other CM players, like fucking Lucas plus one other.

Gerrard "can" play many positions. He is "best" used in an attacking role, middle or right. We do not have another proper number 10 at the moment, just play the players the way the team benefits the most. Right now it would be Gerrard as RW. If we get a good RW, then it could be CM or number 10 or LW. Depends on others.

Oh, Gerrard would be crap in central defense, that to whoever mentioned that.

He'd be fine if we had a powerful, smart, DM in there to shore up the gaps.

Who could tackle, not be brushed aside, and distribute quickly, simply and accurately.

So we should buy one, and that way, we wouldn't have to play TWO other CM players, like fucking Lucas plus one other.

Sounds like Mascherano.

Mascherano is better than Busquets. If he came through their system he'd be starting ahead of Busquets imo.

I don't think i've ever seen busquets misplace a pass. I've also not seen many players as young as him with such composure. The only thing mascherano can do better than busquets is tackle.

Luis Suarez and Ashley Young would be 2 great acquisitions in this window and would help transform our attacking play. I really hope that we can get both of them and it would be a major statement of intent from the owners. Warnock on loan to compete for the left back position with Aurelio would be a good move, and I also think we desperately need a commanding centre half in this window as well.

If we sign Suarez then I would like to see Gerrard drop deeper into midfield, and for us to sign a holding midfielder like Yann M'Vila in the summer, and another attacking player like Eden Hazard to play on the right hand side.

I really don't like the idea of bringing Warnock back, but I agree with the rest of that.