You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pep Reina is unhappy and demands showdown talks with NESV

EgyptianRed

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are clear quotes in the Echo. Not the best of sources but Pepe looks like he has come out and said these things straight out with no added bullshit from the rags. It sounds like the £20M quote may be true based on the number of places that feel confident to state it. I know they feed off each other but this is scary shit. No way can we afford to see Pepe leave. It took us years to get someone who we all trust and we are not in a position to have to go through that process again. The only answer is to keep wining and win either the FA Cup or EL today and get back into the CL. we need to buy quality in January as well.

It makes all of his seemingly uncompromising 'this is my club' comments sound pretty empty now. You can't complain about any player wanting to reconsider their future when things get tough, but when it's Reina, of all people, it really makes fans cynical whenever they hear any more 'I love LFC' stuff again.

Confident enough Pepe will give us another year or two. Hes got a good few years left in him. Torres on the other hand, probably has 5 years left in him that he could play at the top level.

The key to holding onto Nando is finishing top 4. People might not like to admit it but the man wants to win things and play against the best teams in the world.

To my mind it's pretty obvious that the national (London-centric) media have made a concerted effort to put a dampener on anything positive coming out of the club, and sought to over-emphasize the slightest of negatives.

Jesus christ.

The majority of the journos who report on our games are scousers.

Can we stop with this sort of paranoid shit please?

Thanks.

Will Maddock go from cunt to hero to cunt again?

Pepe Reina has told Roy Hodgson he wants to leave Liverpool - possibly as early as January.

Mirror Sport has reported that Manchester United, Arsenal and Inter Milan are interested in the goalkeeper and now he has made it clear to Hodgson and the Liverpool board he wants to go.

Hodgson has tried to persuade the keeper who has a £20 million buy-out clause in his contract to stay, but is now looking at possible replacements.

Top of his list are Germany international stopper Manuel Neuer, and Ajax number one Maarten Stekelenburg, who was the Holland keeper in the World Cup final.

Neuer is widely regarded as one of the best young keepers in Europe after helping steer his country to third place in the World Cup during the summer.

He was the keeper who helped con referee Jorge Larrionda that Frank Lampard’s shot had not crossed the line, during the now infamous showdown with England during the tournament in South Africa.

The keeper has little more than a year left on his current contract with his German club Schalke 04, and has already interested Bayern Munich, but it is thought he would like a move abroad.

He fits the bill perfectly for Liverpool. Anfield’s new owners NESV are keen subscribers to a more radical approach to recruitment, where they invest big money in key players who make a real difference.

They want young promising talent with a potential sell on value and the capacity to improve. They also want to pay high wages only to a handful of stars, with more reasonable salaries given to the rest of the squad.

Reina currently commands a salary of almost £100,000 a week, over the course of a contract which has four and a half years left to run. He is 28, and if Liverpool are to get money back on him, would have to sell now.

It is unlikely a bid at such a massive price - which would then invoke the clause in Reina’s contract - will materialise in January, but even if he has to wait until the summer, it seems clear the Spanish keeper will force a move away from Anfield.

He has become more distracted with life at Anfield and less satisfied in recent months.

If the Reds could fetch £20million for him, and replace him with a younger player of an almost equal level and on a third of the salary, it would offer a real bonus to the new owners, who would then be able to invest any profits in signing the top stars they feel Liverpool need in key positions.

Neuer’s fee would be only around the £7million mark, and perhaps even lower because of his contract situation, and that would leave the owners with funds to invest in the transfer market.

Transfer news: Pepe Reina wants out of Liverpool and could move as early as January - Exclusive - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Reina has stated he'll stay till the end of the season. A lot can change between now and then including a new manager and a Champions League place. But it won't be January that sees him leave and he'll be easier to replace than, say, Torres.

not sure he will be as easy to replace as you think.....how many goalkeepers have we gone through since Grobelaar before Reina?

Where would he feasibly go?

Inter, Real and Barca don't need keepers.

Surely he won't go to another English club, unless he's not the classy man we all think he is.

I think this article is highly speculative and with no quotes, few options for Reina to move to - I am hopeful it is bollocks. I am also hopeful one or two signings from NESV should ease Reina's fears.

If this happens we will have seen our best players dissolve away over the past few years, it will be a fucking travesty. Whatever reason Reina wants out for should be addressed immediatly before we become annoymous from the top clubs.

You dont win fuck all selling your best players and we have been doing that now for 3 years.

Where would he feasibly go?

Inter, Real and Barca don't need keepers.

Surely he won't go to another English club, unless he's not the classy man we all think he is.

I think this article is highly speculative and with no quotes, few options for Reina to move to - I am hopeful it is bollocks. I am also hopeful one or two signings from NESV should ease Reina's fears.

The couple of times I've seen Inter play its obvious that Cesar isn't adapting well to the sweeper keeper thing that Benitez is obviously trying to introduce.

The comments by Benitez at his Inter unveiling that "Pepe was not pleased when I told him I was taking Xavi Valero with me" are seeming all the more prescient.