You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anfield or New Anfield

Cherry Ghost

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exclusive by Chris Bascombe

May 1, 2011

LIVERPOOL face another year's delay before they get the OK for a £200m Anfield redevelopment.

And with a refurbishment of the stadium likely to take two years, the earliest Liverpool can hope to complete the construction is for the start of the 2014-15 season.

The club's American owners are in the midst of a fresh feasibility study to modernise the existing ground into a 65,000-seater stadium.

Owner John W. Henry said in November Liverpool wanted to make a final decision on the stadium "within a year", but it will take longer to get permission to build it.

Henry's Fenway Sports Group have consistently distanced themselves from the two plans already approved.

One, by Manchester based architects AFL is too old. The other Tom Hicks-inspired plan is too expensive.

The local council need to pull their finger out and start playing ball and Liverpool Football Club need to start being a lot more firmer with the council. The whole regeneration of the area and the stadium issue has been on hold for far too long and both parties should work together to get this issue resolved asap. It is criminal that the surrounding area has fallen into such disrepair.

The local council need to pull their finger out and start playing ball and Liverpool Football Club need to start being a lot more firmer with the council. The whole regeneration of the area and the stadium issue has been on hold for far too long and both parties should work together to get this issue resolved asap. It is criminal that the surrounding area has fallen into such disrepair.

You couldn't be further from the truth, Liverpool have held up all the regeneration in the area,

Liverpool football club, have in one form or another have had planning permission for over 7 years for a new stadium and through Moores,H&G and now FSG have failed to give a definite answer to their plans

You couldn't be further from the truth, Liverpool have held up all the regeneration in the area,

Liverpool football club, have in one form or another have had planning permission for over 7 years for a new stadium and through Moores,H&G and now FSG have failed to give a definite answer to their plans

I'm not disputing that but the situation needs resolving asap. Both parties need to get their act together and work in tanem to bring this matter to a speedy conclusion. If LFC are the catalyst for regenerating the area then it is in everyone's interests if the owners declare their intentions so that the local council can grant or deny planning permission sooner rather than later.

Apparently bascombe is saying it'll be a refurb but work won't start for another year as we need new planning permission.

A refurbishment or a redevelopment? Both to me are different, a refurbishment would not necessarily mean a increase in capacity. It could mean keeping the capacity but adding a few things to increase revenue. A redevelopment, would add capacity.

It's an absolute disgrace the amount of money that went out of the door during Hicks and Gillett's reign in terms of the stadium. Money that could have been set aside for redeveloping Anfield.

Or on players. Wouldn't have had any need for sell to buy.

A refurbishment or a redevelopment? Both to me are different, a refurbishment would not necessarily mean a increase in capacity. It could mean keeping the capacity but adding a few things to increase revenue. A redevelopment, would add capacity.

Redevelopment to 65k.

Fussy arse.

Guest ShoePiss

I really don't understand much about planning permission but I do know we will have to get new permission to redevelop Anfield but surely as with the old planning permission the stipulation of a transportation plan would still kick in if capacity is above 60k?

I wonder if a 65k capacity would make any sense if something like new train station has to be opened up.

I wish we'd just get this agreed either way, it's now May 2011.

£200 Million for a redeveloped stadium?

Why not just build one?

cus we wanna stay where we are. As FSG did with the Red Sox. We can't throw away our spiritual home if there is an alternative.

Until that presentation at the SOS AGM last year, I thought we had to go. But if there is a viable alternative, we must stay. Sod the cost