You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

It is clear he can't play the holding role in England but if was given the Lampard role in that team and they had Mikel as the holder or Essien when he is back, I think you will see him excel. Chelsea created a lot of chances and their Midfield attacking was good. They were allowing utd to easily by pass their mid though. Raul set up a lovely chance for Lampard with that flick through ball. He just creates things, and makes great runs. Without Gerrard in our team we don't have that sort of player. When VB gives him the Lampard role I expect everyone to be wishing we had have kept him.

A luxury player.

But fuck me, wouldn't it be great to be in a position where we can afford to carry a luxury player.

We've got a good squad, invested a lot of money, it's hardly like we're down the bare bones, if the players we have started playing to the level they're capable of we'd be laughing. He's barely a squad player, never mind luxury, never scores, can't defend, bad hair cut.

It is clear he can't play the holding role in England but if was given the Lampard role in that team and they had Mikel as the holder or Essien when he is back, I think you will see him excel. Chelsea created a lot of chances and their Midfield attacking was good. They were allowing utd to easily by pass their mid though. Raul set up a lovely chance for Lampard with that flick through ball. He just creates things, and makes great runs. Without Gerrard in our team we don't have that sort of player. When VB gives him the Lampard role I expect everyone to be wishing we had have kept him.

He's a decent player but cant say I'll ever be gutted at watching him for them, he doesnt set up enough or score enough and never has done, its not going to change at 28 or whatever. I suspect he'll keep getting overrated everytime we lose a game though as if we didnt have these sort of bad performances with him in the team!

We've got a good squad, invested a lot of money, it's hardly like we're down the bare bones, if the players we have started playing to the level they're capable of we'd be laughing. He's barely a squad player, never mind luxury, never scores, can't defend, bad hair cut.

You're making him out to be pure shite. Hes far from that. In fact I'd tell you without a shadow of a doubt he'd have put in a better shift than Charles did yesterday.

Not that it matters, whats done is done with him now.

• 1 month later...

So in hindsight, do people think we fucked up or lucked out by moving him on?

From the games I've seen he's looked much the same for Chelsea as he did for us - decent first touch, good eye for a pass but physically weak and poor defensively.

He's alright, nothing spectacular. We probably did well to get our money back on him.

So in hindsight, do people think we fucked up or lucked out by moving him on?

From the games I've seen he's looked much the same for Chelsea as he did for us - decent first touch, good eye for a pass but physically weak and poor defensively.

He's alright, nothing spectacular. We probably did well to get our money back on him.

Would have been nice to have the luxury of someone like him as a squad player. But you can see the sense in letting him go, especially as Henderson and Adam suit the new roles Kenny is using much better.

Nice, good topic, let's have a go at it.

I'm a fan of Meireles, and i was made up when he signed for us. And he's a brilliant midfielder in a 4-4-2 system.

He was terrific for Portugal, but the team was set-up to attack, so him getting caught out of position was never an issue, every fucker was out of position. He also had the likes of Carvalho and Pepe sweeping up behind him, and those two are very intelligent players and can read danger, making the job of a marauding DM that much easier.

For us and for Chelsea, he's been caught out a bit. The Premiership is too disciplined, too cautious, and if he sits too deep then he's not as impressive, he doesn't get stuck-in, he doesn't break a lot up.

I think he was indicative of the Hodgson regime in many ways, he was bought because he looked impressive, but there was no tactical thought as to how that might translate to a top Premiership team.

The problem isn't Meireles', it's ours, it's the Premiership's. I'd love us to play the Portugal way, the Barca way, just tits-out attacking and trying to score as many as possible.

At the same time, I was more upset about Shelvey going on loan, and Pacheco. I think they offer us so much more.

Nice, good topic, let's have a go at it.

I'm a fan of Meireles, and i was made up when he signed for us. And he's a brilliant midfielder in a 4-4-2 system.

He was terrific for Portugal, but the team was set-up to attack, so him getting caught out of position was never an issue, every fucker was out of position. He also had the likes of Carvalho and Pepe sweeping up behind him, and those two are very intelligent players and can read danger, making the job of a marauding DM that much easier.

For us and for Chelsea, he's been caught out a bit. The Premiership is too disciplined, too cautious, and if he sits too deep then he's not as impressive, he doesn't get stuck-in, he doesn't break a lot up.

I think he was indicative of the Hodgson regime in many ways, he was bought because he looked impressive, but there was no tactical thought as to how that might translate to a top Premiership team.

The problem isn't Meireles', it's ours, it's the Premiership's. I'd love us to play the Portugal way, the Barca way, just tits-out attacking and trying to score as many as possible.

At the same time, I was more upset about Shelvey going on loan, and Pacheco. I think they offer us so much more.

Neither Porto nor Portugal play 4-4-2, so that's your arguement shot.

He's boss at what he does but that's far too limited for what we need IMO, i.e a goalscoring midfield player who offers little else, and only then in flashes. He's an excellent fit for the chavs if they use him right, it was the best move for both him and us and I still wish him well.