You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to remember many people on here arguing at the time that Rafa could do nothing wrong in signing Aquilani. As if he was the only midfielder available at the time for that price! Poor Rafa they said.

This is just one example why Rafa should NEVER have the control to buy and sell anyone he wants. The man is just no good at it. He is miles better in coaching and other things but not in the transfer market.

In fact, when he came to us, I still remember an article about his weakness in spotting a player and more importantly signing a player that "suits" the system, team and the league. And judging by the transfers, I would say the article is spot on.

I think he will do well when someone else buy the players for him to coach.

We paid more for Aqualani than Inter did for Snijder, plenty of creative midfielders available for £17m last summer, we went for possibly the worst option given the player and his injuries

We sold the superior Riise for £3,5M and signed Dossena for £7M.

The last good player Tafa signed was torres and before him he signed some duds as well.

He was a disaster when it came to signing players and should have been sacked long ago before he turned our current squad into the laughing stock it was when he left this summer.

Aquilani is just one of them together with everyone else his last two seasons, thats almost £80M out the window that should have been spent more wisely both player wise and position wise.

It was clear as day that Aquilani would turn out to be a disaster so it should not surprise anyone to see him being shipped out.

Reina

Arbeloa Carragher Agger Aurelio

Alonso Mascherano

Kuyt Gerrard Benayoun

Torres

Best Liverpool side for twenty years, nine Benitez signings. Aquilani is a quality player who was always going to be a risk much like Veron was for the mancs. I can't believe anyone wouldn't have prefered Aquilani in the side in over N'gog against city. Also why would anyone be glad to 'get him off the wage bill'. Are you paying his wages? Why can't we have quality players on the bench? He doesn't have to start everyweek.

Reina

Alonso Mascherano

Kuyt Gerrard Benayoun

Torres

Best Liverpool side for twenty years, nine Benitez signings. Aquilani is a quality player who was always going to be a risk much like Veron was for the mancs. I can't believe anyone wouldn't have prefered Aquilani in the side in over N'gog against city. Also why would anyone be glad to 'get him off the wage bill'. Are you paying his wages? Why can't we have quality players on the bench? He doesn't have to start everyweek.

Not really, it was the best Liverpool side we'd had in eight years. Given we finished in exactly the same position in 2002.

Not really, it was the best Liverpool side we'd had in eight years. Given we finished in exactly the same position in 2002.

So where a team finishes in the league, regardless of when, dictates how good that team was?

So because the 2002 and 2008 teams both finished second, they were equally as good as eachother?

Where the fuck did you go to school?

Reina

Alonso Mascherano

Kuyt Gerrard Benayoun

Torres

I agree with all this, I can't get my head round why people think loaning him out is a good thing, he is clearly not a shit player and whatever way you rup it up, it makes the squad weaker!

Im starting to think its just more point scoring in the Rafa out/Rafa in arguement.

So where a team finishes in the league, regardless of when, dictates how good that team was?

So because the 2002 and 2008 teams both finished second, they were equally as good as eachother?

Where the fuck did you go to school?

Well that's all they have to show for being supposedly our best team of the ast twenty years, isn't it? There's not gonna be a * next to the "2nd place" that says "played decent football for a few weeks, like."

Not only that but we'd won the league in the twenty year period he's talking about, so how could they be the best?

IMO the team that won the 2006 FA cup was by far the best team/squad we had since 1990

Agree with that.

I agree with all this, I can't get my head round why people think loaning him out is a good thing, he is clearly not a shit player and whatever way you rup it up, it makes the squad weaker!

Im starting to think its just more point scoring in the Rafa out/Rafa in arguement.

How is he clearly not shit? Because he had a good game against Portsmouth? He showed nothing to suggest he'd have made any sort of difference on Monday night as he just doesn't have the mentality.

I'm not so sure about that. It seems to me that fitness permitting, he could really only play in a classic No.10 position. With Gerrard and Cole, he was never going to get much of an opportunity there.

One of the most baffling signings we've ever made.

I'm not saying hes the new xavi its just that loaning him out when it seems clear that no replacement is arriving is utterly pointless. Even if we only used him against shit teams at home, although I do think he could've done a job against the more 'footballing' sides in the league, hes still alot more creative than any of the cms we have left (Gerrard aside obviously). The thought of Lucas and Poulsen in cm when stevie is injured is giving me the fear!

86 points is a good indicator of how good that side was as were the batterings of utd and real. Done the double over utd and chelsea as well I think.

Our season two years ago was made up by the fact we got as many points against the other top 4 teams as we did, overall we had much better results in 05/06 when we had the best squad and team we have ever had under Rafa, we also actually won something that season if anyone can remember.

Add just Torres to that squad and we would have won the league by now, but sadly after that it all went downhill.

Good bit of business by Juve. He's now over his injury (supposedly) and they get an option to buy him cheap if he really is over it. And all it costs is his wages.

He would have been a useful option on the bench at City as we could have brought him on when it was obvious we were being over-run in midfield instead of having to wait for the Pachecho cameo with 5 minutes to go and game over.

There will be times this season when we regret letting him go just to save wages.