You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa's Coaching Staff

Royal Family

Probably got a little lost in the thread discussing our next manager, but I notice that Tony Evans wrote today in the Murdoch press that only Sammy Lee now remains of Rafa's coaching staff. Is that true? Have all the others gone like Pellegrino, or Valero? And the academy staff? Have they gone to Inter and if so did we receive compensation? And what about Macia because i thought that Inter had refused to take him?

Or is Tony Evans not right on this?

Does anyone know?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be nice if Dominic King at the Echo could actually find out a bit of information about the club rather than writing turgid, regurgitated and idolatrous pieces about merseyside players at the world cup, which is all he's done for two months now. The Echo's Liverpool coverage has been woeful since King and 'Reg' Prentice took it on between them, especially after TB. It seems that mediocrity is now infecting everything to do with our club !

So far we know for sure that owen brown - best mate of several bloggers on Liverpool - has gone. But there hasn't been anything in the Italian press about appointing any coaches. Maybe they are all on gardening leave?

It would be nice if Dominic King at the Echo could actually find out a bit of information about the club rather than writing turgid, regurgitated and idolatrous pieces about merseyside players at the world cup, which is all he's done for two months now. The Echo's Liverpool coverage has been woeful since King and 'Reg' Prentice took it on between them, especially after TB. It seems that mediocrity is now infecting everything to do with our club !

So far we know for sure that owen brown - best mate of several bloggers on Liverpool - has gone. But there hasn't been anything in the Italian press about appointing any coaches. Maybe they are all on gardening leave?

I quite agree with you about Dominic King. I only hope he's keeping his powder dry for Thursday - Purslow shouldn't be allowed to sit there next to Hodgson and smirk as the lies continue. Most of his press briefings since Benitez left don't add up to a coherent whole, and he needs questioning on that and a whole lot else (including his legal threats to fan forums).

As for the coaching staff, isn't Hodgson planning to bring in Mike Kelly? He's even older than Roy, and even though the press have claimed he had a 'spell' at Anfield I can't remember it. Personally I'd have preferred the club to insist on Sammy. We need someone to represent the club rather than the owners.

I hope the new Academy staff haven't gone.

From what I caught if the tail end of the season for the youth, they seem to be technically developing as players very well. Banged quite a few goals in towards the tail end too if iirc.

I firmly believe Rafa got the youth development positions spot on.

Very impressive list of coaching qualifications - I wonder how many English coaches have a CV that compares - precious few I imagine.

Almost certainly none. The Guardian did a short piece on the coaching qualifications in the big European footballing countries. They compared the number of people who hold the top three UEFA badges (B, A & Pro) and it was something like Germany 18,000, Spain 21,000, Italy 27,000 and England 2,321 (or so). Hmm, why is it that English footballers are short on technique again? And how many Olympic gold medals did we win in rowing and cycling when we invested heavily in grassroots coaching?

Almost certainly none. The Guardian did a short piece on the coaching qualifications in the big European footballing countries. They compared the number of people who hold the top three UEFA badges (B, A & Pro) and it was something like Germany 18,000, Spain 21,000, Italy 27,000 and England 2,321 (or so). Hmm, why is it that English footballers are short on technique again? And how many Olympic gold medals did we win in rowing and cycling when we invested heavily in grassroots coaching?

England - 2,769 coaches with UEFA coaching qualifications

Spain - 23,995 coaches with UEFA coaching qualifications

Italy - 29,420 coaches with UEFA coaching qualifications

Germany - 34,970 coaches with UEFA coaching qualifications

Not bad recall, apart from the Germans that is.

That pretty much says it all in regards to the state of English football, and this arrogance that seems to run right through the game here.

I said the other day that I believe in this country we have this attitude of 'We invented the game so why should we change how we develop our players'

My dad used to run an under 8's team a few years ago and I used to help out and watch them. He always focused on technique but they lost every game, by a considerable amount at times. He got a load of stick in the end because the parents were moaning about how he gave every kid a chance, and how he didn't focus on winning the game.

It used to do my head because nobody was willing to accept that these kids were only 7-8 years old and should have been kept away from this win at all costs and ignore technique attitude.

Needless to say me Dad sacked it off and another Dad took over, our kid was in the team so we still went down to watch, and the new manager used to bemoan how some of the kids didn't seem to enjoy not having the opportunity to make mistakes and learn from them, therefore taking the enjoyment out it for the kids.

I hope the new Academy staff haven't gone.

From what I caught if the tail end of the season for the youth, they seem to be technically developing as players very well. Banged quite a few goals in towards the tail end too if iirc.

I firmly believe Rafa got the youth development positions spot on.

I think the appointments at Academy level look sound, but allowing Malcolm Elias to leave (and susequently with him Buchtmann) was a huge mistake.

Yes I read that - very revealing set of stats - that was exactly what I was thinking of whilst reading Valero's career record. On my masters course last year we had a visiting lecturer who is a psychologist who wrote a couple books on footie and worked with several clubs and players. I asked him why he thought England produced practically no top class managers. His view was that most were ex-players with practically no formal education past 14 or so. He said they were far from stupid but just didn't have the same level of education most foreign managers have. In Europe players continue their education and then return to higher education when they stop playing prior to entering coaching/management.

The lecturer wouldn't name the player (I got the impression it was Jamie Redknapp) but someone who went through a difficult patch when he was young. He was successful in helping the youngster overcome his block - it was suggested he work with some of the other players too - the youngsters father replied "what does ee know abart football ?".

Only time will tell with Buchtmann Ted, I believe he was worth more than what we let him go for.

A year ago I would have said yes it was a huge mistake with Elias leaving, but with the Barca fella coming in I'm confident that the framework Rafa implemented by getting the appointments in allows us to improve ten fold compared to previous years.

The Liverpool Echo is no longer what it was since it moved to Manchester, it no longer has the local angle and is about as Newsworthy as Radio City. The days of exclusives and informative stories on the Reds are long gone, it is an evening paper on sale in the morning !

Yes I read that - very revealing set of stats - that was exactly what I was thinking of whilst reading Valero's career record. On my masters course last year we had a visiting lecturer who is a psychologist who wrote a couple books on footie and worked with several clubs and players. I asked him why he thought England produced practically no top class managers. His view was that most were ex-players with practically no formal education past 14 or so. He said they were far from stupid but just didn't have the same level of education most foreign managers have. In Europe players continue their education and then return to higher education when they stop playing prior to entering coaching/management.

The lecturer wouldn't name the player (I got the impression it was Jamie Redknapp) but someone who went through a difficult patch when he was young. He was successful in helping the youngster overcome his block - it was suggested he work with some of the other players too - the youngsters father replied "what does ee know abart football ?".

Coaching badges on the continent are usually rolled into an academic degree of some sort. I doubt any of those on our staff have less than a masters. Non-english players, which are the majority in our squad, might have a problem adjusting to a new back-room staff if they are not of a similar calibre.

For example, if Valero does go, I can't imagine there is a coach who has come through the english system who could convince Pepe that he has the ability to improve him.

These are the kinds of footballing aspects of regime change that have not been thought through IMO and will ensure that there are longer lasting ramifications than need be the case. The alignment of the academy and the first team is also a big worry.

Only time will tell with Buchtmann Ted, I believe he was worth more than what we let him go for.

A year ago I would have said yes it was a huge mistake with Elias leaving, but with the Barca fella coming in I'm confident that the framework Rafa implemented by getting the appointments in allows us to improve ten fold compared to previous years.

Didn't Buchtmann eventually head back to Germany?

Coaching badges on the continent are usually rolled into an academic degree of some sort. I doubt any of those on our staff have less than a masters. Non-english players, which are the majority in our squad, might have a problem adjusting to a new back-room staff if they are not of a similar calibre.

For example, if Valero does go, I can't imagine there is a coach who has come through the english system who could convince Pepe that he has the ability to improve him.

These are the kinds of footballing aspects of regime change that have not been thought through IMO and will ensure that there are longer lasting ramifications than need be the case. The alignment of the academy and the first team is also a big worry.

Does anybody have any info on this? Was it mostly Rafa's (spanish) people doing all the coaching at the academies etc? Have they left?

Antonio Gomez, who was John McMahon's assistant with the reserves has been appointed as manager of Real Valladolid which shows just how highly rated he is to be given such a big role despite being 36 years old. He takes with him Gonzalo Rodriguez who was the fitness coach with the reserves.

Apparently, they're trying to sign Daniel Ayala for Valladolid. Hope that LFC don't consider it.

Link