You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

That's an increasingly pertinent question.

Stronts, this isn't a loaded question, more of a request for info really.

What is the position, constitutionally surrounding this Coalition? Does it ned to run for the full 5 year term, come what may, or, if needs be, could the Lib Dems start voting against policies with Labour and the minority parties frequently, to the point where no legislation gets through and the Government is dissolved and then we go to the Country again during this term of Parliament?

Should the LIb Dems actively vote against the Tories and with Labour, would it mean a 'Minority Government' is in power that is politically impotent?

If this IS the case and the Lib Dems are that perturbed about how this Coalition is shaping up on ky issus...ie there is key differences on Policy, when then aren't the Lib Dem partners actively seeking to undermine it if the majority of policies and issues are against what they actually entered the partnership to push through?

If your Party actively and actually said 'Fuck you' this is now a very Right Wing Government and one in which we are significantly under represented and started voting against legislation instead of abstaining, would it actually bring the whole Government down?

Can anyone answer this for me?

The only way I can see the libs breaking the coalition agreement is if Clegg is forced out as party leader.

He's staked his reputation on the coalition and no way will he back out from it.

This is what I fear Col. But there must be legislation either proposed or enacted that actively sticks in the craw of the Lib Dems. The whole reshuffle was a massive lurch to the Right, surely there must be more than murmurings in Lib Dem HQ about how things are moving, even for those with the smallest of conscience.

It would appear to me from the outside 'looking' in, that the Libs would regain some of the respect that they have clearly lost with the country if they just said..."Nope, enough is enough, this is not the agreement we entered into, we are now propping up a Government that has nothing in common with our philosophy and policies and we are not comfortable supporting it"?

It would seem that the longer the Coalition lasts for, with the Libs propping up the most Right Wing 'Government' that this Country has ever seen, the more respect, confidence and votes they lose.

Wouldn't now surely be the right time to say..."Fuck this, out we go, this is not what we signed up to"? I'm sure that some lost ground could be reclaimed by the Party for showing some fight and dignity....even for their own sake as a Political party, never mind for the good of the Nation.

Can I ask a further question.

I don't have my ear to the ground as far as Politics go anymore, I really don't know the general opinion, I speak to people who share opinions, but they would as you hand pick friends who share similar views to you.

If I gave you a scenario,.....

The Lib Dems woke up tomorrow, or anytime in the next couple of months and said..."Fuck you Cameron", withdrew their support for the Coalition and we went to the Country....what would be the likely outcome of a General Election?

Is this Government really 'that' unpopular, or do the Tories have sufficient support to form a majority Government on their own?

From those I speak to the general consensus is that this is a party not fit to govern and they would be washed away, but is that really the case?

I think it was Section 31 who said a while ago that the Labour Party simply have to do OK to be voted out, the Tories actually have destroy the country because people basically and intrinsically trust posh conmen with an Eton education over people who may have once had relatives who worked in a Pit or a Shipyard. (Not his actual words, but the meaning was close).

If we went to the County tomorrow are the Tories really that unpopular that they get fucked off, or would they actually get a working majority do you think?

I really dont trust the people of this Country to see what is happening before their eyes and for the most part this Island is populated by little Englander Facists who are only concerned with money and immigration.

Everyone who has spent the last 2 years hammering the Lib Dems can give themselves a pat on the back. We're now too weak to put a stop to this kind of shit. Congratulations.

Absolutely pathetic.

Lib Dems make terrible strategic decisions not to stop things (as they think it will erode their political capital and therefore isn't in their interests) and then they blame the people who deride them for their cowardice and self-interest.

I notice you used "we" again there. Nice one.

"You" are supine, facilitators of this mess.

Let's be very, very clear. The Liberal Democrats have the votes to stop pretty much any of the Tory policies. They chose not to. They did that because they felt it was not in their interest politically.

They will be wiped off the map at the next election for that huge fuck up in strategy.

They weren't bright enough or brave enough to make the coalition work for them, and us.

Absolutely pathetic.

Lib Dems make terrible strategic decisions not to stop things (as they think it will erode their political capital and therefore isn't in their interests) and then they blame the people who deride them for their cowardice and self-interest.

I notice you used "we" again there. Nice one.

"You" are supine, facilitators of this mess.

Stu, we know they sold their soul for a sniff of importance a couple of years ago, so do all the Lib Dems.

Even Stronts in his Heart of Hearts knows this. He knows his Party are propping up the vilest ideology this Country has ever seen, despite his worthless and laughable protestations.

I'm pretty sure that demonising, criminalising and brutalising the poor, disabled and Students wasn't in his thinking, or that of his Party even if the trade off was an increase in his Tax code by a couple of hundred quid, which basically equates to about 10 quid less paid out a year.

We have moved well past the beginning, the point is, what needs to be done to end it?

They need to have the balls to stare down the Tories and refuse to let them pass their shite policy. They need to bank on the fact that the Tories don't want an election now as they would lose it.

They need to realise that really being obtuse cunts to anything they think is wrong might be the only thing that can save their party at this stage.

They need to have the balls to stare down the Tories and refuse to let them pass their shite policy. They need to bank on the fact that the Tories don't want an election now as they would lose it.

They need to realise that really being obtuse cunts to anything they think is wrong might be the only thing that can save their party at this stage.

Whilst I agree with you, what is the likelihood of the Tories losing an election tomorrow, next month or next year if the Lib Dems actually have the balls to do as you suggest?

Cameron's main problem is that he needs to move to the right to appease his party, but to become more attractive to the voters needs to be move the other way. He isn't bright enough to find a solution for that one.

His other problem is that he blames every fuck up on the 'mess that Labour left' (also very popular with Libs) - times up on that little scam as well.

No one will come out of this failed coalition experiment with any credit.

Whilst I agree with you, what is the likelihood of the Tories losing an election tomorrow, next month or next year if the Lib Dems actually have the balls to do as you suggest?

Decent.

That's almost irrelevant. If the Tories think they probably wouldn't win, and I reckon they'll doubt it, then that's all the Lib Dems need to know. Unless they are waiting for them to become weaker/more hated to spring their masterstroke.

Maybe when they start burning the disabled on the stately fires and the public become too disgusted the Lib Dems will spring into action.

Decent.

That's almost irrelevant. If the Tories think they probably wouldn't win, and I reckon they'll doubt it, then that's all the Lib Dems need to know. Unless they are waiting for them to become weaker/more hated to spring their masterstroke.

Maybe when they start burning the disabled on the stately fires and the public become too disgusted the Lib Dems will spring into action.

I need Red coloured fuel. In a bottle. I shall speak to you anon.

Decent.

Stu, do you think this is a case of the Tory right trying to do as much damage as possible before the next election comes round?

A case of....'if we fuck it up enough but get ousted at least we have served our friends and imposed our ideology deep enough that it will tak years to rectify, and if we do get back in, then this is just the start'?

Like Ramraiders who smash in an offie window and drink as much as they can before the Police arrive?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
That's an increasingly pertinent question.

You've got your 'ear to the street', what's the general consensus about that? You were one of the more in-favour, even from a LD perspective, so if you're beginning to waver a little bit, is it safe to assume others are feeling a bit pissed?

I've always thought it was going to end early, coalitions quite often do, so I'd not be shocked. However, the constant reaffirmation of the coalitions strength is either Clegg saying 'if we break now, we're fucked', or he doth protest to much and will look to fuck things off.

Personally, I think things have been pretty bad and they're getting worse. The fix isn't to do a more extreme - Tory - version of what we've been doing, it's to look for something different.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Can anyone answer this for me?

I don't think anybody really answered you, Johnny.

What basically happens is that the Lib Dems can pull out of the coalition agreement, at which point the Conservatives, as the party with most MPs, will have a minority government. Then a parliamentary motion of no confidence will be called, and assuming the LDs vote in the same way Labour does, then it'll say to the Queen that Parliament has no confidence in the government. She'll then tell 'em to 'fucking hop it, shithouses' (technical term that she must use), and a General Election will be called.

Woot.

I don't think anybody really answered you, Johnny.

What basically happens is that the Lib Dems can pull out of the coalition agreement, at which point the Conservatives, as the party with most MPs, will have a minority government. Then a parliamentary motion of no confidence will be called, and assuming the LDs vote in the same way Labour does, then it'll say to the Queen that Parliament has no confidence in the government. She'll then tell 'em to 'fucking hop it, shithouses' (technical term that she must use), and a General Election will be called.

Woot.

Cheers amigo. So, all it would take to get rid of the vilest bunch of bastards in history is for the Lib Dems to show a bit of bottle and say "Fuck you Cameron, you shiny faced prick and take that Duncan-Smith, the bald cunt who was laughed at a few years ago and deemed not fit to govern with you" and we could have the Queen chasing the cunts down the road and we could all tell them what a shower of fucks they are?

I've just found this website [UK Polling Report], which states a current "polling average" of Labour 41%, Tories 32%, Lib Dems 11% and suggest that this could result in a Labour majority of 96 if an Election was held now.

I've just found this website [UK Polling Report], which states a current "polling average" of Labour 41%, Tories 32%, Lib Dems 11% and suggest that this could result in a Labour majority of 96 if an Election was held now.

On that basis don't expect an election any time soon. And don't hold your breath waiting for the coalition to split. Turkeys (note the use of the plural) do not vote for christmas.

They will pick a time that suits them. Magically, as with all previous chancellors, Osborne will find a few billion to pay for a few tax cuts or increases to the state pension in the March budget and then, to our great surprise Cameron will call an election. Standard formula with no exception in my lifetime. Sadly it works nearly every time too. Either that or start a war......

Wont make any difference who is in power. Just look at what's happening in France after Hollande promised to end austerity. Now he's in power he finds a €10 billion hole to plug...so erm...sorry France, but you get the cuts anyway!

That is what will happen here. If a new government gets in, there will still be a fucking massive financial black hole to fill, so it's either stick with the cuts until it's filled, or resort to borrow and spend until the country is bankrupt (see Greece, Ireland, Spain etc...for superb examples of this model).

It doesn't matter if the party in power is red, blue, yellow or whatever....that is the stark reality of the matter and those are the choices and anyone who thinks otherwise is just fuckin deluded.

Wont make any difference who is in power. Just look at what's happening in France after Hollande promised to end austerity. Now he's in power he finds a €10 billion hole to plug...so erm...sorry France, but you get the cuts anyway!

That is what will happen here. If a new government gets in, there will still be a fucking massive financial black hole to fill, so it's either stick with the cuts until it's filled, or resort to borrow and spend until the country is bankrupt (see Greece, Ireland, Spain etc...for superb examples of this model).

It doesn't matter if the party in power is red, blue, yellow or whatever....that is the stark reality of the matter and those are the choices and anyone who thinks otherwise is just fuckin deluded.

Absolutely agree.

And the cuts haven't even started yet in the UK.